Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I'm leaving the country for 2 months and want to be able to play video games as I travel, but I don't want to spend the money to buy a console system, Apple TV, or anything else that would require me to carry it around. I know there's Apple arcade, but it looks like it sucks and doesn't have any games I would play. Is there a way to play XBox or Playstation games abroad if all I have is my laptop (MB Pro 14)?
Ex. some service I can subscribe to that will run through my laptop and connect via USB-C/HDMI to a TV in my hotel/hostel

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'm leaving the country for 2 months and want to be able to play video games as I travel, but I don't want to spend the money to buy a console system, Apple TV, or anything else that would require me to carry it around. I know there's Apple arcade, but it looks like it sucks and doesn't have any games I would play. Is there a way to play XBox or Playstation games abroad if all I have is my laptop (MB Pro 14)?
Ex. some service I can subscribe to that will run through my laptop and connect via USB-C/HDMI to a TV in my hotel/hostel
MS xCloud, or Geforce Now are your best bets. So far Sony's PS Now doesn't allow game streaming to macOS. I think Remote Play is possible, but that assumes you can connect back to your Playstation.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
It sounds like you're limited to your laptop then. Consider looking into emulators. I saw a family friend's kids play Wii on a laptop through Dolphin emulator. It worked overall for the most part (although the actual experience varies from game to game. For some of those, it would've been nice to have an actual Wiimote on hand)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.