Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
Hi all,

I'm trying to force my Magic Keyboard into pairing mode so I can pair it with a Windows computer.

The issue is, I can't unpair it because the iMac has crapped the bed.

The only wireless keyboard had a way to force it into pairing mode (holding down the power button), but since this one doesn't have a power button but rather a switch, I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I've googled extensively but I can't get past hundreds of identical Indian 'articles' that use some SEO magic to hide the fact that they're talking about the older wireless keyboard.
Apple's own documentation, of course, assumes that you have access to a Mac.

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks!

Reactions: Daviduk

TomOSeven

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
Another hour of looking and I found it, it's CMD+W, for whatever reason.

Command + W, CMD plus W, CMD and W.

Apple Magic Keyboard. Windows pairing. Force pairing mode. Force discovery mode. Shortcut. Pairing mode shortcut.

Maye the next poor sob spend less time searching.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Another hour of looking and I found it, it's CMD+W, for whatever reason.

Command + W, CMD plus W, CMD and W.

Apple Magic Keyboard. Windows pairing. Force pairing mode. Force discovery mode. Shortcut. Pairing mode shortcut.

Maye the next poor sob spend less time searching.

Thanks for posting back with the solution!

Reactions: codernova

alissa914g

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Not sure if this is required anymore with the most recent editions, but I paired my previously unused Magic Keyboard (after selling my Mac) to now work with my PC and this is MUCH better now. Also new magic mouse trackpad works on Windows 11. Thanks everyone. Saved me a lot of research.

Reactions: Andrey84

simon201

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Same happened to mine today. Wouldn't reconnect to my Mac. Nor my phone. Nor my MacBook. Nothing would see it. After trying the above it still didn't see it, but I tried holding down the cmd and w and turned it off and on. Bang... there it was back (and 100% on the battery!) Still not really sure if turning it back on while holding down those keys did it but thanks for the above!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.