Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Can anybody give some input on doing the iPad Air on AT&T NEXT?

I know for actual cell phones, it's kind of an abysmal deal. But I didn't know they offered it for iPads.

With the iPad, I'm positive I want to upgrade every year. So I can sign up - pay not a penny now - and have 12 payments of $31.50. That's a total of $378. I then trade in the device when the new one comes out in a year, and I get the new one (assuming it's the same price) for another 20-month contract, with the option to upgrade in 12? So basically I can always have the latest and greatest iPad so long as I pay $31.50 a month? Doesn't seem so bad for the long haul if I never have to pay a lump sum.

Do you have to have data the whole time? I do anyway - the 3GB option. just curious....

nolegirl

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
Can anybody give some input on doing the iPad Air on AT&T NEXT?

I know for actual cell phones, it's kind of an abysmal deal. But I didn't know they offered it for iPads.

With the iPad, I'm positive I want to upgrade every year. So I can sign up - pay not a penny now - and have 12 payments of $31.50. That's a total of $378. I then trade in the device when the new one comes out in a year, and I get the new one (assuming it's the same price) for another 20-month contract, with the option to upgrade in 12? So basically I can always have the latest and greatest iPad so long as I pay $31.50 a month? Doesn't seem so bad for the long haul if I never have to pay a lump sum.

Do you have to have data the whole time? I do anyway - the 3GB option. just curious....

Yes, you will need a data plan if you're adding it as a line of it's own. Though if you have a mobile shared account you can add it to that and there is no extra charge for data as it's shared among your other devices. It'll be an extra $10 per month though on top of the installment payments for mobile share plans.

Last edited:

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Yes, you will need a data plan if you're adding it as a line of it's own. Though if you have a mobile shared account you can add it to that and there is no extra charge for data as it's shared among your other devices. It'll be an extra $10 per month though on top of the installment payments.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm a subordinate on a family plan (no reason to ditch my mom's account; I just pay her $70/month for the difference). I have unlimited data on my iPhone, so I don't want to mess with that. But I can just add the iPad "line" to our account to avoid doing it separately and getting a hard-pull on my own credit?

nolegirl

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm a subordinate on a family plan (no reason to ditch my mom's account; I just pay her $70/month for the difference). I have unlimited data on my iPhone, so I don't want to mess with that. But I can just add the iPad "line" to our account to avoid doing it separately and getting a hard-pull on my own credit?

It won't hard pull your credit unless you're the account holder (I think) it does ask for social. But it will pull your mom's credit, or who ever the account belongs to. This is only if you're looking to finance the ipad, btw.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have unlimited data on my iPhone, so I don't want to mess with that. But I can just add the iPad "line" to our account to avoid doing it separately and getting a hard-pull on my own credit?
So obviously not on a Mobile Share plan. I don't think you can add an iPad for $10/mo on the traditional family plans. You'll need to get a separate data plan for it. For data-only devices, minimum for Mobile Share is $40 ($30 4GB + $10 line access).

baker5721

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
My AT&T account has 5 lines. 3 smart phones all with unlimited data. Can I use next to get a new ipad air? I'm worried that my account is maxed out with devices with the old data plans.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
My AT&T account has 5 lines. 3 smart phones all with unlimited data. Can I use next to get a new ipad air? I'm worried that my account is maxed out with devices with the old data plans.

Call AT&T. 611.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
With the Next program you have to trade in your old device, so don't forget that part. Compare to buying outright plus selling your old ipad.

Also need to make sure you know the exit strategy if you should decide one day to switch to a different carrier.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town

I doubt it unless you switch to the mobile shared plan which allows 10 lines.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
With the Next program you have to trade in your old device, so don't forget that part. Compare to buying outright plus selling your old ipad.
I've calculated the "trade-in" value after 12 months for Next.

$530: $212
$630: $252
$730: $292
$830: $332
$930: $372

Less than what you get if you sell but around on par with trade in on Amazon, etc.

Also need to make sure you know the exit strategy if you should decide one day to switch to a different carrier.
Simple. Just pay off your device. There's no ETF involved and you would have spent the same amount if you paid for your device upfront anyway.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Simple. Just pay off your device. There's no ETF involved and you would have spent the same amount if you paid for your device upfront anyway.

Cool. I haven't really paid attention to the Next program; thanks for the clarification. I merely brought it up as the OP hadn't mentioned anything about it.

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
If you want to get a new ipad after 12 months, just pay off the remainder of your ipad and sell it yourself instead of trading it in. You'll get a better value on the sell.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you want to get a new ipad after 12 months, just pay off the remainder of your ipad and sell it yourself instead of trading it in. You'll get a better value on the sell.
You would but there's less headache with the trade in. :p Plus if going ebay, keep in mind there's seller fees and PayPal fees and potential for getting scammed. :rolleyes:

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
I always sell mine on craigslist, it's not really a hassle for me, but some ppl might be. Whatever you're comfortable with. I'm getting mine with next since I have a share plan and I don't plan to upgrade iPad like I do iPhone. Probably will just pay it off in a few months though.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
This is pretty tempting. I could sell my current iPad and my Mac Mini to finance the Macbook Air I want instead of the new iPad. I already auto pay monthly for ATT data, so the added $20-30 wouldn't be a big deal.

ccie7599

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2009
Ya, folks seem to be caught up in the bad-deal equation for Next if you're buying a normally subsidized phone vs. a full-retail tablet.

Phone+Next = Bad. You're paying the near full-unsubsidized price via installments and you're locked into a contract. Whether you trade in after 12 months or own it after 20, you're giving up the power that your 2 year commitment normally wields, in exchange for avoiding an up-front charge. Bad carrier, bad.

Tablet+Next = Good. No carrier except the "Un-Carrier" is subsidizing tablets, so whether you're planning to put your tablet on a plan or not, the price would be the same. Next is basically an interest-free payment plan in this case, and your commitment in exchange for that is a $10/month data plan (assuming you're adding it to a mobile share group). As someone that's done ad-hoc data plans on my VZW iPad for $20-30 a month, $10 to add it to the ATT plan makes sense.

Next was such a transparently horrible plan that it's very name drags down anything that it's attached to. I think they re-priced it about a week after they launched this summer. And, as described above, for tablets it actually makes sense. I think the carrier's game in this is selling more tablets with the $130 cellular uplift, selling more through their channel, but really they want to get you on a bigger screen using ATT's data so you'll move from 6 to 10, 10 to 15, 15 to 20 (GB), etc. They've craftily moved us all over to metered paid usage knowing that we're gonna use double what we used last year, and double next year what we did this year, etc.

Everytime I see someone's eyeballs stuck on a screen in an airport, on a flight, in a coffee shop, etc., I just envision a nickel flying out of their pocket and to VZW, ATT, etc...well played gentlemen.

Edit- two more things in play here with Next-
-AT&T is subsidizing up-front purchases, knocking off $100 for 2 year commitments. So, a reason why Next isn't as attractive as buying/committing.
-With Next, AT&T is waiving the activation fee, so something that swings in Next's favor.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.