Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielktdoranie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
I am running 10.4.11 on my PowerBook G4 15" 1.33 GHz ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 (I have a 64GB SSD installed and 256 MB RAM, two 1 GB sticks on the way).

QUESTION: What's the current state of MacPorts on Tiger? I ask because neofetch is not working I installed Xcode and installed the MacPorts-2.9.0-10.4-Tiger.dmg I run sudo port -v selfupdate and it looks like it updated... I ran sudo port install mpstats and that went okay but when I went to install neofetch it borked and gave me this:

daniel-dorans-powerbook-g4-15:~ daniel$ sudo port install neofetch Password: ---> Fetching archive for neofetch ---> Attempting to fetch neofetch-7.1.0_0.any_any.noarch.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/neofetch ---> Attempting to fetch neofetch-7.1.0_0.any_any.noarch.tbz2.rmd160 from http://packages.macports.org/neofetch ---> Installing neofetch @7.1.0_0 ---> Activating neofetch @7.1.0_0 ---> Cleaning neofetch daniel-dorans-powerbook-g4-15:~ daniel$ neofetch /opt/local/bin/neofetch: line 42: shopt: nocasematch: invalid shell option name /opt/local/bin/neofetch: line 1359: conditional binary operator expected /opt/local/bin/neofetch: line 1359: syntax error near `=~' /opt/local/bin/neofetch: line 1359: ` [[ $os =~ (AIX|IRIX) ]] && return'

So I am no developer but it looks like MacPorts is installing neofetch for AIX or IRIX operating systems? I wonder why that would even be in the repo to begin with?

If it helps to know, I installed all the updates Software Update provided.

Thanks!

Nightphase

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2022
Italy
You have to install an updated version of bash.

Do
Code:
sudo port install bash
and edit
Code:
/etc/shells
to add
Code:
/opt/local/bin/bash
Now do
Code:
chsh -s /opt/local/bin/bash
and
Code:
sudo chsh -s /opt/local/bin/bash
and that should fix it.

danielktdoranie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
You have to install an updated version of bash.

Do
Code:
sudo port install bash
and edit
Code:
/etc/shells
to add
Code:
/opt/local/bin/bash
Now do
Code:
chsh -s /opt/local/bin/bash
and
Code:
sudo chsh -s /opt/local/bin/bash
and that should fix it.
Thanks for the reply. I talked to a Unix wizard friend of mine who suggested the same.

I ran
Code:
sudo port install bash
and it ran all night, in the morning I saw this...

Code:
Error: libgcc7 cannot be built while libunwind-headers is active.
Error: Please forcibly deactivate libunwind-headers, e.g. by running:
Error:
Error:     sudo port -f deactivate libunwind-headers
Error:
Error: Then try again. You can reactivate libunwind-headers again later.
Error: Failed to configure libgcc7: libunwind-headers is active

So I ran
Code:
sudo port -f deactivate libunwind-headers

Then I ran
Code:
sudo port install bash
and it's still running now about 9 hours later, no errors yet.

I made another post here about cross compiling Mac PowerPC Mac OS X code on a modern Apple Silicon Mac... you don't know anything about doing that do you?

Thanks!

Reactions: B S Magnet

danielktdoranie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
Just to update this, should anyone else attempt the same on their G4 Mac, I am documenting my experience in this thread as I go.

So when I first tried installing /upgrading bash I was doing so on Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger… after waiting 8 hours for it to build the G4 PowerBook 15” rebooted on it’s own (BTW this G4 PowerBook 15” passed full hardware tests already and an extensive RAM test, the random reboot was due to a software issue I believe)… after that I gave up on Tiger, wiped the SSD, installed Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Xcode 3.14 (I understand this to be the last Xcode version to support Power PC Mac OS X 10.5.8 G4 Macs).

Right now as apart of installing bash it is updating to gcc7. It’s been installing the last 24 hours and still going… this G4 PowerBook Pro now has 2 GB RAM installed (maxed out).

Nightphase

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2022
Italy
Just to update this, should anyone else attempt the same on their G4 Mac, I am documenting my experience in this thread as I go.

So when I first tried installing /upgrading bash I was doing so on Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger… after waiting 8 hours for it to build the G4 PowerBook 15” rebooted on it’s own (BTW this G4 PowerBook 15” passed full hardware tests already and an extensive RAM test, the random reboot was due to a software issue I believe)… after that I gave up on Tiger, wiped the SSD, installed Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Xcode 3.14 (I understand this to be the last Xcode version to support Power PC Mac OS X 10.5.8 G4 Macs).

Right now as apart of installing bash it is updating to gcc7. It’s been installing the last 24 hours and still going… this G4 PowerBook Pro now has 2 GB RAM installed (maxed out).
gcc7 took 24hr on my MDD, but it was worth it to run modern CLI programs on Tiger

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
I am running 10.4.11 on my PowerBook G4 15" 1.33 GHz ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 (I have a 64GB SSD installed and 256 MB RAM, two 1 GB sticks on the way).

QUESTION: What's the current state of MacPorts on Tiger?

I am afraid, it is pretty broken there, for the most part.

See, for example:
And some of those are fundamental ports.

And then multiple non-critical ports won’t build:
God know how many, since nobody actively tests anything there perhaps for years. I tried for R ecosystem when added it to Macports, but gave up quickly since found it too troublesome to fix.

Why don’t you switch to 10.5.8? It is in a far better shape.

Nightphase

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2022
Italy
I updated MacPorts on my PBG4 running 10.4.11, all installed packages upgraded succesfully without a hitch.

curl, OpenSSL, git, wget, lynx, bash, ecc...

danielktdoranie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
Thanks for the replies all. . I actually moved on to OpenBSD 7.4. Before that I did install Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard but the compile time was going on for more than 2 days on my PowerBook G4 15" (w/ 2GB RAM and a SSD). I gave up and moved on to OpenBSD 7.4. I'll use another PowerPC Mac for OS X abandonware. It would be great to have pre-compiled binaries like we get with OpenBSD or some sort of working cross compiler with PowerPC Mac OS X 32-bit as target.

Compay

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2024
I encountered the same problem on my MDD G4 1.25Ghz and after a bit of frustration and googling I found a solution in a discussion here: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/infoppc. Indeed it is the old bash version as suggested earlier that is the problem, and a newer (compiled!) version (4.3.30) can be downloaded here: http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-security-blanket-blues-revisited-or.html

neofetch.png

Reactions: barracuda156

danielktdoranie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
I encountered the same problem on my MDD G4 1.25Ghz and after a bit of frustration and googling I found a solution in a discussion here: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/infoppc. Indeed it is the old bash version as suggested earlier that is the problem, and a newer (compiled!) version (4.3.30) can be downloaded here: http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-security-blanket-blues-revisited-or.html

View attachment 2347843
That is handy... now we just need the latest gcc (gcc12) and the libs compiled :)

Reactions: Compay

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Thanks for the replies all. . I actually moved on to OpenBSD 7.4. Before that I did install Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard but the compile time was going on for more than 2 days on my PowerBook G4 15" (w/ 2GB RAM and a SSD). I gave up and moved on to OpenBSD 7.4. I'll use another PowerPC Mac for OS X abandonware

This is a bit unfair LOL

Not everything is abandonware: we actively support PowerPC, add new ports, fix ports which were ever broken. In some aspects Macports on PowerPC is vastly superior to any other system. (For example, R and Lisp.)

Nightphase

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2022
Italy
I have several compiled programs on Tiger PPC that would require a lot of time compiling on different machines (ex. gcc7 took 20 hours on MDD). Is it possible to share them as a tarball or something else? I used rsync to transfer /opt/local to my PowerBook G4 and they work fine

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
I have several compiled programs on Tiger PPC that would require a lot of time compiling on different machines (ex. gcc7 took 20 hours on MDD). Is it possible to share them as a tarball or something else? I used rsync to transfer /opt/local to my PowerBook G4 and they work fine

Do you still have those? If yes, you can use local archives: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/ShareArchives2

Bonjour did not work for me on 10.6 ppc, but using IP did. I installed ports on a PowerBook from G5 Quad this way.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
These are the archives of gcc7.5.0 and git 2.43.2 from my Tiger machine, can anyone try if they work?
gcc7: https://mega.nz/file/2dESXA4T#OAIuePFIA_hSVcwOLFxxTgw19bihf_NC06GV1sdFK0Q
git: https://mega.nz/file/GZVEHbpJ#5t1yQo4eFgvbrBvfm8vIqsr74MIUBl91tQibeHNIaM8

I can check if my Tiger has the up-do-date gcc7, in which case I can upload the pre-built port, FWIW. Not today, no access to that machine.
git is a few minutes thing to build, why even bother with a transfer?

P. S. I encourage to move to 10.5.8, unless you have some software which is incompatible with Leopard.

danielktdoranie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
This is a bit unfair LOL

Not everything is abandonware: we actively support PowerPC, add new ports, fix ports which were ever broken. In some aspects Macports on PowerPC is vastly superior to any other system. (For example, R and Lisp.)
I didn’t say everything was abandonware did I? I was referring to abandonware that’s actually abandonware. Like productivity software and games from the early 00s that I like. I was not referring to software actively being supported or developed for Mac OS X PowerPC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.