Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
I generally upgrade every year. Have a 12 mini now and love this compared to my 11 pro. So much easier to use one handed. The only downside for me being the not having 2x camera. I have no idea how much lidar does with anything.

I was reading this morning that the 13mini could be the last one. That blows my mind. The 12 is already as fast as I could imagine. Double the speed I don’t think I’d notice. Love it’s size. Can’t believe people don’t want something they can easily keep in the pocket. Anyway, ive also read after the mini cancelled there will be a SE. Whats the difference? Are they saying it will bring back the button?

I’m thinking I’ll be buying the 13mini unless there’s a real compelling reason to go with a pro model.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Since you are talking about future SE, at this point there is no information on how it will be accomplished.
Regarding the size of mini, I really love mine and think this is a perfect phone. But people are “scared” to try, because the price of a mistake is very high. One could regret not spending 100 dollars to the regular 12 or 300 to get the “best of the best” pro max.
Jumping on a 13 mini could be a wise choice before it gets discontinued towards the end of the cycle.

re lidar. It comes very handy for us in daily life. It allows to measure the height of our kids and us, measure the boxes before we ship out using postal service and so on. It is really good at measuring thing’s dimensions. Also it comes handy when applying focus on your pictures and videos: lidar helps to measure the distance to the object and thus helps to focus faster. The only downside is while filming in the car: it is “too smart” and focuses rather on your windshield most of the time instead of the outside, cause it can feel that something closer is in the frame.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
people attempting to use their phone and that puny little screen to multitask or use in general is why mini doesn’t pick up popularity. Ever switching to iPad for basically everything possible, large screen and big everything just looks and feels so much better. iPhone should never get to 11”. The moment people realise their phone can’t be everything, it’s when they pick up mini sized iPhone.

As for difference? Besides the design, the internal in SE is less powerful. No great camera module on other premium iPhone. No Face ID. Use aluminium as much as possible rather than stainless steel. Maybe a bit bigger than mini. Idk. But there’s also a huge cost difference that’s hard to ignore.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Can’t believe people don’t want something they can easily keep in the pocket.
My iPhone 11 Pro Max fits just fine in my back pocket and the side pocket of my carpenter pants/shorts. Now, if you meant the front pocket, well, I don't carry my device there. I sit too much and even having a small phone in that pocket would be uncomfortable.

I also don't sit on my phone, I pull it out and put it down when I am going to be a while. In the car, my phone rides in the cupholder.

I've also never had any issue in the past. Both my old Pixel 3a XL and my iPhone 6s+ are almost the same size as my 11PM.

Just how small are your pockets?

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
My iPhone 11 Pro Max fits just fine in my back pocket and the side pocket of my carpenter pants/shorts. Now, if you meant the front pocket, well, I don't carry my device there. I sit too much and even having a small phone in that pocket would be uncomfortable.

I also don't sit on my phone, I pull it out and put it down when I am going to be a while. In the car, my phone rides in the cupholder.

I've also never had any issue in the past. Both my old Pixel 3a XL and my iPhone 6s+ are almost the same size as my 11PM.

I’d never wear carpenter pants or shorts. I wear a wallet like a man. My phone goes in my front pockets. It’s not uncomfortable at all. Those phablet phones look ridiculous in business pants. I can use it single handed very easily so no issues picking it up and using the maps function while driving or putting on a playlist.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I’d never wear carpenter pants or shorts.
I've been wearing Dickies black denim carpenter pants and shorts for a few years now, and before that another brand. I don't have to, I work with computers every day, but nine years of wearing work pants and steel-toe boots at UPS grew on me.

I wear a wallet like a man.
I'm a man, I have a wallet. I've used wallets since I was 13 or 14. I'm 50 now. Goes in my right rear pocket. I suppose that means I wear it like a man? Only my wallet has a chain, so I suppose like a biker? My keys are on a metal spring-clip that I hang off a belt loop if that means anything (I doubt it).

My phone goes in my front pockets. It’s not uncomfortable at all.
Mine goes into my left rear pocket or the side pocket. I find when I am siting that most anything in my pockets bothers me. That's where we differ I guess.

Those phablet phones look ridiculous in business pants.
I will take your word for it. Never had to wear business pants. What I do (Graphic Design) doesn't require me to interact with anyone where business attire is required.

I can use it single handed very easily so no issues picking it up and using the maps function while driving or putting on a playlist.
Again, different. I prefer to use a ~$1000+ device with two hands. It's preferable to explaining to my wife why I cracked a screen or destroyed my phone trying to one-hand it. I do that with all my phones, including the two I've had that were smaller than your device (HTC Touch Pro and iPhone 5).

If I'm using maps or music in the car, I have a cupholder stand that my iPad sits in. Larger screen and I'm not having to one hand it will driving.

Not knocking how you use your stuff. Everyone is different, but just because a larger phone won't fit into your pockets, or fit the way you believe it should (or look) doesn't mean it won't fit into mine. It also doesn't mean that I handle things the same way you do, which in your case makes one-handing things difficult with larger devices. I have neither the dexterity or desire to handle an expensive device with one hand no matter what size it is.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Wallet? That's so 1980.
All that's ever needed is a credit card, ID and a little cash. That little wad only needs to be wrapped in a single rubber band (that's how I've been doing it for over 30 years - no wallet).

Reactions: valleian

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
people attempting to use their phone and that puny little screen to multitask or use in general is why mini doesn’t pick up popularity. Ever switching to iPad for basically everything possible, large screen and big everything just looks and feels so much better. iPhone should never get to 11”. The moment people realise their phone can’t be everything, it’s when they pick up mini sized iPhone.

As for difference? Besides the design, the internal in SE is less powerful. No great camera module on other premium iPhone. No Face ID. Use aluminium as much as possible rather than stainless steel. Maybe a bit bigger than mini. Idk. But there’s also a huge cost difference that’s hard to ignore.

The screen is what 5.4? I liked the 5.8 on the x and my 11 pro and ngl if the 12 mini had a telephoto lens instead of the ultra wide I would seriously consider it because the 6.1 is a tad to big for me. I like the 4.7 inch iPhone 7 I had and similar to the 12 mini.

Reactions: rluciano

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

I had the 6 plus and that’s the last time I got a big iPhone. I also had a Note 8 but for some reason never had an issue. I’ve dropped my iPhone 6 Plus out of my pocket, taxi , and various other times for a total of 6 times. Thank god it only costed $150 to fix after I used the Apple care plus coverage.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I had the 6 plus and that’s the last time I got a big iPhone. I also had a Note 8 but for some reason never had an issue. I’ve dropped my iPhone 6 Plus out of my pocket, taxi , and various other times for a total of 6 times. Thank god it only costed $150 to fix after I used the Apple care plus coverage.
I prefer the larger sized phones. That's just me. Apple has a phone model for nearly everyone and that's good. I've only cracked one screen and that was with my 6+. At the time I was under the influence of Benadryl (I have allergies) so I fault that. ;)

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I generally upgrade every year. Have a 12 mini now and love this compared to my 11 pro. So much easier to use one handed. The only downside for me being the not having 2x camera. I have no idea how much lidar does with anything.

I was reading this morning that the 13mini could be the last one. That blows my mind. The 12 is already as fast as I could imagine. Double the speed I don’t think I’d notice. Love it’s size. Can’t believe people don’t want something they can easily keep in the pocket. Anyway, ive also read after the mini cancelled there will be a SE. Whats the difference? Are they saying it will bring back the button?

I’m thinking I’ll be buying the 13mini unless there’s a real compelling reason to go with a pro model.

You’ve got the luxury of waiting. The 13 mini will still be available a year from now likely at a discounted price. If the replacement is the SE, it may very well be the 13 mini in form but positioned as a lower model perhaps without an OLED display.
And that may very well be enough for many (myself included). As long as they keep the smaller form factor, I’m happy. These days, any processor A12 and up is good enough.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I love my mini. It’s the perfect sized iPhone for me. I came from the iPhone SE2 and I couldn’t be happier.

Reactions: snipr125

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.

The only time I put my phone in my back pocket is when I have a case on it. Otherwise I can’t stand it because I hate having to take it out every time I sit down

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The only time I put my phone in my back pocket is when I have a case on it. Otherwise I can’t stand it because I hate having to take it out every time I sit down
I hate having to get up or shift in order to get my phone out when sitting down. So, while I don't care to have to pull it out, I have designated spots for it depending on where I am. I also hate sitting on my wallet or anything else in my back pockets.

My wife on the other hand has sat on her phones since we first got phones you could sit on.

Oh…and I don't use cases, so there's that.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I hate having to get up or shift in order to get my phone out when sitting down. So, while I don't care to have to pull it out, I have designated spots for it depending on where I am. I also hate sitting on my wallet or anything else in my back pockets.

My wife on the other hand has sat on her phones since we first got phones you could sit on.

Oh…and I don't use cases, so there's that.
The other day I took my family to get frozen yogurt. We sat at their outdoor tables and I didn’t want to place my phone on the table because they’re all sticky with froyo. Yeah at home I have designated places but when out I do not like putting my phone down

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The other day I took my family to get frozen yogurt. We sat at their outdoor tables and I didn’t want to place my phone on the table because they’re all sticky with froyo. Yeah at home I have designated places but when out I do not like putting my phone down
It just comes down to everyone having their own way of handling things. You are not wrong and I'm not saying you are. That's just how you choose to handle it and the kind of things that bother you. My way is not better, it's just what works for me and what works for you is better for you.

In your situation I would have just stood or went off and got some napkins to put under my phone. But again, that is just how I would handle it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.