Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
Right now I use my iCloud email for all devices (including my iMac), but I noticed I have an option to start my iMessage conversations using phone number on my iPhone. What's the difference?

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
My wife does not have a text feature to her cell plan. But she does have data.

I have a text feature on my iPhone.

If I text via email address ... it goes as an iMessage and hence we can "text" all day.

If I text as a phone number she will not be able to text back.

Same thing with iPads that cannot "text".

chezhoy

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hanscom AFB, MA
I personally thinks it's better to use email than phone number, esp if you use iMessage on iPhone, iPad and/or MacBook since your MacBook and iPad aren't phones.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
There is actually no difference. Your messages will go to any device. Example, I have an iPhone, iPad and Mac. Someone sends an iMessage to my phone number or email and it goes to all of my devices

The real difference is when you message someone, do you want them to see your phone number or email?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
There is actually no difference. Your messages will go to any device. Example, I have an iPhone, iPad and Mac. Someone sends an iMessage to my phone number or email and it goes to all of my devices

The real difference is when you message someone, do you want them to see your phone number or email?

Yep, I prefer my phone # since I don't use my iCloud email, and my Apple ID is not my gmail account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.