Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I bought a $32 portable router so I can connect multiple devices to my iPhones hotspot. It is a GL-iNet Mini Smart Router (Model GL-AR300M16-Ext).

I did speed tests before using the router and while using the router and it seems to work great with no loss in speed.

QUESTION: Based on the specs below, what should I experience differently with the $120 portable router vs the $32 portable router I bought?

Thank you!

P.S. All routers in the image below are from the same company.

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    717.4 KB · Views: 143

achan7942

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2015
You most likely won't experience anything different for your use... the expensive one essentially just has more features and capabilities. The cheaper model won't be able to reach 1g speeds obviously. Unless you are running vpns, the better cpu and ram won't do much.

Reactions: magentawave

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
biggest things are the cheaper one is only 2.4 GHz and the other is dual band. also, one is 10/100 and the other is gigabit capable. so the cheaper one will be limited to 100 Mbps speeds or slower even if you have a faster connection.

Reactions: magentawave

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
You most likely won't experience anything different for your use... the expensive one essentially just has more features and capabilities. The cheaper model won't be able to reach 1g speeds obviously. Unless you are running vpns, the better cpu and ram won't do much.
Ok, thanks very much for replying.

Actually, I’m going to need VPN’s for work soon. I also just realized that the router in the image that I said was $120.00 is only $39.00! (The one to the right of it (GL-MT3000) is the $120.00 router.

I’ll be using the router with my phones hotspot while I’m on the road. Speeds aren’t great with Visibles unlimited data (Download: 6.27 Mbps, Upload: 5.91 Mbps) but good enough to stream video and do email, etc. Will those speeds still allow me to use VPN’s with the better router tethered to my iPhones hotspot?

If so then I’ll return the $32 router and replace it with the $39 router.

Thanks again.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I don't understand what you're doing. Are you using these pocket routers to extend your iPhone hotspot's wifi or are you using the pocket routers as a bridge to connect wired ethernet devices to your iPhone's hotspot?

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I don't understand what you're doing. Are you using these pocket routers to extend your iPhone hotspot's wifi or are you using the pocket routers as a bridge to connect wired ethernet devices to your iPhone's hotspot?
My phone service is visible. Visible no longer allows you to connect more than one device to your phones hotspot. I want to connect my iPad and my macbook pro at the same time to my phones hotspot.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Ah I got it.

I'm using one of those GL-MT1300 units right now. You can install OpenWRT firmware on it then I believe have one of the radios (either 2.4GHz or the 5GHz) be the client that connects to the iPhone's hotspot then rebroadcast that signal using the other radio. I don't have the detailed instructions, but you should be able to find them easily.

Just make sure you get a model that has two different radios. Either dual-band 2.4GHz / 5GHz or one with two 2.4GHz radios.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
The next model up, the $39 model (second one in the image), is only $4 more than the one I bought before (with 10% discount) so I just ordered it and will send the $32 model back to Amazon.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
That one won't work. You need one that is dual band (2.4GHz + 5GHz or 2.4GHz x2) to do what you want. The one you get also has to be compatible with OpenWRT firmware.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
That one won't work. You need one that is dual band (2.4GHz + 5GHz or 2.4GHz x2) to do what you want. The one you get also has to be compatible with OpenWRT firmware.
It doesn’t say “dual band” in the image specs but I just looked it up and it is definitely a dual band router.

Last edited:
Reactions: Synomenon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.