Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xaosnox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
I recently had a major disaster with Clean.app that removed language files and corrupted my system. The Finder, Spotlight, Terminal.app and everything else I needed to do repairs was broken. I had to go guerrilla because all I had was a G5 with a working OS (Leopard), but it couldn't connect to the internet, so I had to share my internet connection from my hobbled MBA and swap files back and forth until I third party solutions that let me at least restore my system to functionality.

Along the way, I somehow ended up with the Restore Partition on my MBA being a Mavericks version. I'm running Yosemite, and do NOT want to downgrade to any of the more recent macOS versions. I have the "Install OS X Yosemite.app" file, which I can use to make a bootable USB thumb drive Yosemite installer using createinstallmedia, but I'm wondering if there is a way to just update my Restore Partition. I have a full TimeMachine backup, and the system is running fine, but I did have a recent incident where I had to restore from a TimeMachine backup because I stupidly fell for a trap by Waves where they gave away a "free" plugin that required an update to their new draconian Waves Central 10, and that broke my Waves 9 licensing. Restoring from a TimeMachine backup from an .sparsebundle on an afp file server is a pain in butt with a Mavericks Restore Partition, so I would like to upgrade it to Yosemite.

I'm assuming that I could do a fresh installation of Yosemite, then restore from my TimeMachine backup, but I'm not sure if that will update the Restore Partition and I'd like to find a quicker, easier way to do it if there is one. For some reason, I haven't found the right search string to get the info on how to do that, and my brain is currently being monopolized by other projects, so I thought I'd ask for other people's wisdom before I spend hours doing this the hard way.

Thank you for any help. I'm sure there is a simple solution to this. I used to be a command line jockey, but it's been a long time, so now I have to consult man pages for just about everything, which is not so easy in restore mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.