Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HoorayHenry172

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2022
Hello all,

First post.

When the Apple TV was released in 2007, it genuinely changed my viewing of tv shows and movies. It was ground breaking. The only real issue I had with it was you had to have anything streaming through it in iTunes. It meant that I had to copy various home movies in and out of the Apple TV and it filled up the much smaller hard drive of the time very quickly, and not to mention became a bit tedious. When Netflix really hit the stage streaming in around '15, my Apple TV device went in the cupboard, and especially so after the Chromecast was released. My Apple TV days appeared to be over.

However, I bought one in around '19, and it came with a years free subscription to Apple TV+. This was good value on the face of it. It quickly turned sour when I realised that I was required to pay for much of the content, something I didn't need to do (with very occasional exceptions) on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or, more recently, Disney+. So I barely used it, and about six weeks before the free year was up, I cancelled the automatic payment for the next twelve months.

Apple cancelled my free year immediately. Which was frustrating if only bbecause they did not make this clear when I signed up.

So what do you all use Apple TV for? Because I can't think of anything. Really. It's all covered by other services and my built in tv Chromecast.

I'd be interested to know. I feel Apple has really dropped the ball on this one. I don't game, so is that what I'm missing the point of?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.