Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I mean, say you're on a road trip and you want to use Google Maps to find something.

It's not like I can take the iPod Touch out and open up Google Maps.

Sure, all these apps are cool, but unless you have access to a wifi network 24/7, what's the point?

I'm not gonna need Google Maps from my house, or check email at work when I'm already on a machine all day.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I mean, say you're on a road trip and you want to use Google Maps to find something.

Sure, all these apps are cool, but unless you have access to a wifi network 24/7, what's the point?

I'm not gonna need Google Maps from my house, or check email at work when I'm already on a machine all day.

Well, considering that jailbreaking assumes you will be using those apps with WiFi access, as you need WiFi access to perform the jailbreak, then I don't see the issue. The Touch was never intended by Apple to have apps placed on it, at least not yet. It is assumed that to use the mobile functions that require the internet, you'd be in an area with WiFi access.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I'm just saying, I don't get all the hype when you can't really do anything on the go anyway.

I'd love to have Google Maps at my disposal in my car on my way somewhere, but without wifi, it's pointless to even have the app on there.

It's not pointless. The app requires WiFi to be used. Only apps that don't need the internet are the Music, Video, Calc, and Note apps. Basically the default apps except for Mobile Safari. You should have known this purchasing the device, as it has no way of accessing Google Maps or other similar programs without WiFi access.

triela

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
What's the point of Jailbreak if you can't access half the apps w/o WiFi

...the other half of the apps you can access without Wi-Fi?

Editable Calendar, Notes, Games, Web Application/Development Script Support, File Management, Interface Customization, eBook Reader, etc.

Maybe there's no point for you because of your specific desires, but that doesn't make the Jailbreak pointless outright.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Well, considering that jailbreaking assumes you will be using those apps with WiFi access, as you need WiFi access to perform the jailbreak, then I don't see the issue. The Touch was never intended by Apple to have apps placed on it, at least not yet. It is assumed that to use the mobile functions that require the internet, you'd be in an area with WiFi access.

I understand the philosophy, but I don't really understand why there's so much hype over apps like Google Maps and Email, when unless you're in range of a wifi network, you can't use them.

I mean, what's the point of checking e-mail on your iPod Touch, when under the same wi-fi signal, you can just log on to your email on a laptop.

I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I think its awesome that we have the ability to install programs, but its just really pointless, at least for me.

BII

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
I tethered my iPt to my tmo dash, so there very much is a point to jailbreaking.;)

kyc

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
I understand the philosophy, but I don't really understand why there's so much hype over apps like Google Maps and Email, when unless you're in range of a wifi network, you can't use them.

I mean, what's the point of checking e-mail on your iPod Touch, when under the same wi-fi signal, you can just log on to your email on a laptop.

I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I think its awesome that we have the ability to install programs, but its just really pointless, at least for me.

Not everyone carries their laptop with them everywhere they go. The touch slips right in your pocket and you can hop into almost every coffee store and use their wi-fi when you are outside.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
Well, if you live in a place where wi-fi isn't too prevalent, I can see how you aren't reaping the benefits of the jailbreak as much as others. Personally I live on a university campus, and the Touch is very helpful if I want to find any places nearby for food or whatever, or look up movie times, or check my mail or anything. Even outside campus, my city also has a few free wi-fi hotspots spread out for anyone who needs it. I was stopped at a red light once and to my surprise my Touch had a wi-fi connection, and I was able to load up Google to amuse myself before the light turned green.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I find Maps useful because it keeps listed directions available until a new set of directions is calculated, so I can look up a route at home/work/wherever and not bother having to print out instructions to lose.

Also, should I ever get lost, I need only find a wifi hotspot to recalculate directions.

macchappy

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Doesn't maps keep directions in cache? I mean, If you did a search for directions for a cross-country trip, I think the start and end points would have the images. AFAIK, the rest wouldn't, but the instructions are still there.

BII

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006

It is far more convienent to check mail on a handheld than to pull out the Lappy, but hey whatever works for you.

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I don't want to be raped :(

What you are saying is equivalent to why put Safari and iTMS on the iPod b/c you may not be around WiFi all the time. And if you do have wifi there is always a computer according to you, so why did you buy it at all?

Barnard

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Doesn't maps keep directions in cache? I mean, If you did a search for directions for a cross-country trip, I think the start and end points would have the images. AFAIK, the rest wouldn't, but the instructions are still there.

If you flick through every step of the directions, the iPod caches a picture of every step.

I'm finding the ability to compose emails offline, on the bus or tube, and then send them when in range an absolutely brilliant.

dairymandip

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
i love my touch im waiting for the bus and scanning and picking up wifi all over the place

in stores in malls, on the street

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
I'm just saying, I don't get all the hype when you can't really do anything on the go anyway.

I'd love to have Google Maps at my disposal in my car on my way somewhere, but without wifi, it's pointless to even have the app on there.

Then you should have bought an iPhone...I don't see the point of your question.

uburoibob

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002

Just carry an AirportExpress in your other pocket and you'll always have WiFi.:p

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2005
Here in the UK unless you live or work in the centre of London there's really bugger all free WiFi to be had, so I'm in the same boat. Impressed with Arux for creating the iJailbreak but now I've done it I'm just even more wound up that I can barely ever make any use whatsoever of the apps. No way I'd get an iPhone though - tariff is stupidly poor value and I don't relish wearing out the battery on my phone every day. My Blackberry lives for days on end.

Ho hum.

I'll just wait till Apple put the editable iCal back on there and then not bother re-jailbreaking, pretty pointless for me.

yacoub

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2007
Free wi-fi and wi-fi hotspots are becoming increasingly prevalent. This will only increase the usefulness of the touch when out-and-about.

I already use it at home, work, restaurants, and even at a hotel business conference where I used it to get some work done on a web-based application!

That said, the only games that are worthwhile are ones that are actually native apps on the touch and don't require being online. That way you can play them anywhere, just like listening to music or watching movies on it.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
At least in the UK it makes much sense with The Cloud offering unlimited WiFi for iPod Touch users for 3.99.

LINK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.