Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asap_elias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
As a computer science student, I waited months for the new macbook air in order to buy a machine with the new design and a better chip.
But I realize that a macbook air M1 with 16gb ram and 512 gb storage is 100 euros cheaper than the new macbook with 8gb ram and 512 gb storage. On the other hand, the m2 with 512gb and 16gb of RAM is only 200$ from the mac book pro.

So I really wonder about the interest of buying a macbook air m2. Moreover, the design of the macbook M1 is so iconic. Are there any arguments in favor of the macbook air m2?

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
As a computer science student, I waited months for the new macbook air to buy a machine with the new design and a better chip.
But I realize that a macbook air M1 with 16gb ram and 512 gb storage is 100 euros cheaper than the new macbook with 8gb ram and 512 gb storage.

So I really wonder about the interest of buying a macbook air m2. Moreover, the design of the macbook M1 is so iconic. Are there any arguments in favor of the macbook air m2?

The M2 comes with the 8/8 M2 as opposed to the 8/7 M1 so its slightly faster. Larger and taller screen, option for an 8/10 chip, option for 24GB RAM, 100nit brighter screen, better webcam, support for better headphones, better speakers, both USB ports free when charging, faster charging via MagSafe, ability to get faster SoC, and it supports more RAM.

There is nothing wrong with buying an M1 Air today, but the M2 is a better version.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
As a computer science student, I waited months for the new macbook air in order to buy a machine with the new design and a better chip.
But I realize that a macbook air M1 with 16gb ram and 512 gb storage is 100 euros cheaper than the new macbook with 8gb ram and 512 gb storage. On the other hand, the m2 with 512gb and 16gb of RAM is only 200$ from the mac book pro.

The main arguments for the M2 will be longevity (newer chip, newer cores, expected longer OS support), and the virtue of the media engine for HEVC and pro-res. For some people, those features are what they're looking for (previously people have to get at least the 14" Macbook Pro to have access to the media engine). Other features like mag-safe might be what others are looking for as well.

So the M2 has its place.

As for prices, the question should be, why Apple can get away selling a 2 year-old M1 Macbook Air at the same original price.

wakka

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2016
To upsell MacBook Air customers on a newer, sexier design - with a small performance uplift as a bonus, and a larger profit margin for Apple.

The vast majority of MacBook buyers couldn't tell you what the the difference between RAM and storage space is, let alone how many efficiency versus performance cores they need.

But many will probably pay the extra for the newer version because it has an updated look.

And just to be clear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that :)

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I also am not convinced by the M2 MBA and Apple’s new pricing structure. I was considering replacing my iPad Pro with a MBA but given these new pricing levels and what I actually use it for, I may go with a standard iPad instead.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I am guessing that you will probably not see real world speed improvements over the M1 in the new M2 MacBook Air, if you like the design of the M1 MacBook Air then you should buy it. And I think Apple has always been in the upsell business, it's a sales tactic. They are hoping that if you see that the MacBook Pro is ONLY 200 more, you will go ahead and pay the extra money to get the "better" device.

roygnelson

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2014
No, and I’m doing the same. I am upgrading from a 2020 Intel MBA to an m1 MBA with 16gb RAM and 512mb SSD.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011

I'd say the camera improvements are worth $100 (assuming you use the camera regularly, i.e. a student or heavy collaboration user), and the speed improvements, MagSafe, and color options will be worth another $100 increase to many.

roygnelson

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2014
I think structural integrity of the m2 remains to be seen. The wedge design seems to be pretty structurally bulletproof.

Reactions: Misheemee

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

My opinion? None once you start adding things. You diminish the value as you stated by moving it into a much more expensive MBP.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I feel like your question should be about the M2 MBP. If I had a choice now, I'd get the M2 MBA instead of a MBP. The Touch Bar and active cooling isn't that much. I've played some decently power hungry games and the fans on my M1 MBP have never turned on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.