Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilbah

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
16" MBP M1 Max, 32GB ram, running OS 12.3.1

I'm having a fair amount of trouble with external drives mounting / staying mounted, and am looking for some good / quick options. I purchased a G-Raid 24GB 4 bay shuttle- which (after following the instructions) I count not get to mount. I also have 2 Samsung 2TB SSD's that will mount, but won't allow any data written, (kernel 0 error) and will only read/write if connected to a dongle that makes their speeds nearly useless. I also have and dock that holds internal 12TB's that mounts, but doesn't stay mounted.

Is it just my machine, or am I missing something? Any recommendations on larger / fast drives to edit from (12TB and up for 1080 multi cam footage and some 4K streams) that is plug and play? Im kind of bummed to be having this much of an issue with external drives!

Thanks in advance !

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hm. I've never had any such issues personally. The only external drive is a SanDisk Extreme Portable that's too small for your needs, otherwise I just use the internal - but out of curiosity, the drives that give write errors, what file system and partition map scheme do they use?

Reactions: Wilbah

Wilbah

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Hm. I've never had any such issues personally. The only external drive is a SanDisk Extreme Portable that's too small for your needs, otherwise I just use the internal - but out of curiosity, the drives that give write errors, what file system and partition map scheme do they use?
Thank you! I reformatted one of the Samsung SSD (on a different computer) into Mac OS Extended and Master Boot Record, and got the same result. Upon your inference, I reformatted them into exFat and now they are working... actually striped them in a RAID 0 set, and now they rip! Part 1 of the problem solved! Thank you!!!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thank you! I reformatted one of the Samsung SSD (on a different computer) into Mac OS Extended and Master Boot Record, and got the same result. Upon your inference, I reformatted them into exFat and now they are working... actually striped them in a RAID 0 set, and now they rip! Part 1 of the problem solved! Thank you!!!
I mean sure - still weird as heck though HFS+ should have worked (macOS Extended). Though I would advice using GUID partition schemes over MBR, but should still have worked. But ey, regardless I'm happy that part of the problem appears fixed :)

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.