Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stev345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
I've always used custom built Windows PCs however I'm considering purchasing a Macbook Pro in the near future. Since I use an iPhone and iPad I really can't foresee any workflow issues except one thing: gaming. I'm not a hardcore gamer but here's my more nuanced thought process/questions regarding this common MacOS issue.

I figured I'd keep my PC, of course. However I don't want to deal with monitor/peripheral switching when gaming. All my devices in my apartment are wired through gigabit ethernet and this future Macbook would be, too. I've had no issues using Nvidia GameStream from my wired PC to my wired Nvidia Shield. I truly felt no latency outside of normal TV/wireless controller latency.

Therefore I figured I'd leave my PC hooked up to my network running headless and just use Steam In-Home Streaming, Moonlight, or Nvidia GameStream to stream games to my Mac. I'm sure this would work fine for casual games like The Sims, Planet Coaster, Cities: Skylines, but the only competitive game I play very often is Apex Legends. I play on a wireless keyboard and MX Master productivity mouse, so I'm clearly not that into it, but I do enjoy it and wouldn't want my experience to be dampened. I think situational thinking and positioning is what's really holding me back, but I digress.

The other concern is one day I would like to get a 144Hz, possibly G-Sync, ultrawide 2K monitor. My questions are:
  1. In general for people who have run this set up, how has the experience been for games in general, but mainly first person shooters when streaming on your local network from a wired Windows PC to a wired MacBook?
  2. What streaming software has worked the best and is there any perceivable latency or quality drops?
  3. Do any game stream apps to Mac support 144Hz and G-Sync? Does it work well with higher resolution monitors (3440 x 1440)?
  4. Do games run in borderless windowed mode?
Thanks! I appreciate any insight on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.