Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
It's so silent in here ... How are you doing ?

In one week I will have off for few days flying back to Berlin/Germany visiting family. About time after four years since my last visit. :eek:

And facetime will keep me connected with my family in Tokyo. Ah, I love technology :D

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
not much going on here...

...my 4P is not playing well with bigadv units so I'm just running SMP WUs... you get about 160 K PPD instead, and I've taken down one of my GPU rigs as it's getting warmer now and the power bills are brutal...

...glad to hear you're going home for a bit!

Louis

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Can anyone direct me to the getting started guide for FAH. I would like to contribute.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
That's a kind of post we all like; happy to help.

First question: what system ? Depend on the setup you can fold with CPU and/or GPU. Windows, Linux and Mac OS (and Google Chrome browser on Intel).

GPU folding is not (yet) possible on Mac OS X; only CPU.
Under Linux GPU folding is only native with NVidia cards (that's what I have)

Download the software from here: https://folding.stanford.edu/home/the-software/. Current version is 7.4.4 for all platforms.

Then choose a donor name and important to register a passkey to get qualified to a quick return bonus. http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-passkey/

At first after installation you need to enter your donor ID, team number 3446 and passkey in the configuration (FAHcontrol or web browser, depend on what you install).
Important (most important): 3446 as team, that's us ...

To monitor how you and the team is doing many of us use a third party website:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=3446

Last edited:

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Currently running a MBA on 10.9.2 with i7 1.7ghz.

I have FAHControl installed not currently linked to a team or have a passkey I dont see the interest. Currently running 100% CPU in line to do 977 PPD.

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
With an MBA you might give a try to Google Chrome version. The big advantage: the work units are smaller and can finish in less them an hour. Over the day they create the same PPD

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Getting this error message in Chrome. Unable to fold with the chrome client I checked everything is set properly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 8.00.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 8.00.38 PM.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 234

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
hey guys!

yeah it's been quiet around here. folding has kinda taken a back seat after all my home internet problems (dsl). and now it's starting to get hot, so i've cut back due to the power bill. i've still got my 4p rig going, and two gpus.

trying to stick to this budget, and folding just isn't in the cards right now. but i'm going to continue to fold some, and probably will ramp back up later in the year.

fold on! :cool:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
Tomorrow I fly home and will restart my GPU rig as soon I reach my room. Two 780 will come back online.

And glad to see Louis come back in the list ! :)

Keep folding ! There still some diseases out there to be kicked hard.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Tomorrow I fly home and will restart my GPU rig as soon I reach my room. Two 780 will come back online.

And glad to see Louis come back in the list ! :)

Keep folding ! There still some diseases out there to be kicked hard.

Hi Christian -- hope you had a very good visit back in Germany!

be good to see you back too :)

my 4P decided to stop getting WUs so I turned it off for a bit. just as mysteriously it started working properly again. good thing too because I was just about to wipe it out and reinstall ubuntu. my GPUs -- also mysteriously -- throttled from 1000 Mhz to 300 Mhz and I haven't figured that out yet :confused:

Louis

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
Louis, hope you fixed your systems ? Stats looking better for sure.

I also will be back soon on #3446. Right now I try #224497 but that's not really worth with my two GPUs. Too many too big players. Anyway just kind of testing what that team theme is all about.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
Getting warm in Tokyo, I'm also reduce folding output. Daytime only one GPU, night time maybe two. Ahh, cold winter: miss you.

Should try to relocate to Siberia. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.