Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Science Blaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
I've been doing some research on increasing the priority of certain programs, most places I go to bring up these "renice" commands. Stuff like "sudo renice # PID" or "renice -n # -p PID". I enter my priority # and PID, yet none of these commands work at all. No indication, not even an error message. I enter the command and nothing happens. I'm thinking that with new updates and stuff these commands don't work anymore. Any help?

0d085d

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
renice seems to work for me on Yosemite. Some bash commands (rm is another example) just do their job and terminate without giving any output at all.

You can use ps -lp PID to check the niceness of any process (the number in the NI column).

Science Blaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
renice seems to work for me on Yosemite. Some bash commands (rm is another example) just do their job and terminate without giving any output at all.

You can use ps -lp PID to check the niceness of any process (the number in the NI column).

Thanks for the reply, I tried the "ps -lp PID", it gave a bunch of statistics. Though after entering that I tried "sudo renice # PID" again. This time it worked, though asked for my password. I tried entering it but for some reason it doesn't work. A little grey box with a circle in the middle pops up after the phrase "Password:". If I try typing nothing happens. Not sure how to fix this.

0d085d

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
That's how entering your password in the command prompt works. Keep typing and hit enter when you're finished.

If the process belongs to you then you shouldn't need to use sudo anyway.

Science Blaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
That's how entering your password in the command prompt works. Keep typing and hit enter when you're finished.

If the process belongs to you then you shouldn't need to use sudo anyway.

Thanks a lot! You've been a big help and now it's all working!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.