Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imnotquitesure

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
People on here rave about these Dell Monitors and I'm almost converted.
But with all those inputs, can you use it as a TV as well or hook it to a game console or DVD player for living room use? Does the PIP and PBP feature work on a mac as well. I am looking to get this to go along with a mac mini. Does this seem like a bad idea? Does anyone already have this set up? My last consideration is, would it just be better to get an iMac and get it all in one screen.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Ikstej24

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
imnotquitesure said:
But with all those inputs, can you use it as a TV as well or hook it to a game console or DVD player for living room use? Does the PIP and PBP feature work on a mac as well. I am looking to get this to go along with a mac mini. Does this seem like a bad idea? Does anyone already have this set up? My last consideration is, would it just be better to get an iMac and get it all in one screen.

I use that monitor for DVD Movies, Playstation 2, Cable TV and my Mac. The picture quality for TV looks a lot better if you use a cable box with s-video output. Overwise it looks king of grainy. I needed something for my office that did a little of everything, but ran at a high enough resolution for my video editing and graphics needs and this is what I purchased. It works great.

(The only thing I wish I would have done is gotten the 24". Then with the component video input I could have run my HD.)

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I love my 2005FPW it is hooked into my powermac

One thing to note PBP and PIP does not work between DVI and VGA only between DVI and composite DVI and S-video or VGA and both

at least i think that is what it was

allegrocm

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
Ames, IA
imnotquitesure said:

When viewing 4:3 content on the 2005FPW, it's stretched out slightly. Yes, there's a mode to unstretch it, but it's still a little stretched. Enough to bother me, but I'm really picky about things like that. I know some people who watch 4:3 stuff on their 16:9 TV all day long and don't care, I don't understand it!

Ken

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
I guess the rave is just they are cheaper than the Apple's and are basically the same, if not better.

imnotquitesure

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Thanks for the input, I could not watch 4:3 stretched, but I doubt I will use it much for TV since I don't have cable right now. But gaming and movies, yes. No seems to have any big complaints, so I will probably be going with this one.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
KittenKrusher said:
I guess the rave is just they are cheaper than the Apple's and are basically the same, if not better.

Quite true, there were many thread a few months back in regards to this issue.

I like the 24" Dell Display better. I plan on getting that soon. Have no reason to get it now. :)

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I think it is obvious that those who buy the Dell displays end up very happy.

Furthermore, those who buy the Apple displays end up happy too.

They must both be very good. I love my ACD.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I have this monitor and it is fantastic. Another great thing about Dell is they let you return monitors for even 1 dead pixel... Apple does not. I say go for it!

ammon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
imnotquitesure said:
Thanks for the input, I could not watch 4:3 stretched, but I doubt I will use it much for TV since I don't have cable right now.

When you change the setting, it isn't stretched. It displays black columns on either side of the picture.

It works great for the XBox!

PS. I love mine!!!

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Not exactly on topic but here's my .02. I've got a Dell 1901FP and love it. Great price. Quick delivery. No, zero dead pixels and I believe that the color is great. As to the Mac purists who wouldn't be caught dead because it's a Dell, oh well. I can live with the Dell logo. It's also a very handsome piece too. Slim lines and controls that are unobtrusive. Additionally it comes with 4 usb outlets. No problems after 2+ yrs of continuous use. For great price check out the Dell small business section. They seem to run specials monthly. Check out this site as they are usually up to date on coupons and offers: Slick Deals @ https://slickdeals.net/. Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.