Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Hello!

I have a 1ghz Alumium powerbook 15" 1gb of ram 60 gig hd. It's about 2.5-3 years old and a few days ago i find that when i put it to sleep for more than a few hours, the laptop won't return from sleep. I would open the laptop cover and the the screen would be black. Everything would go back to normal when I press the power key to hard reboot the laptop. Only the clock would reset to 1969. I've tried reseting the PRAM and nvram but to no avail, what's wrong with my laptop? Do I have to change the motherboard battery? Please help.

Thanks,
John

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
If the AC cable is not showing green or orange, you should consider that you primary battery is dead and so is the AC adaptor. Check the wall outlet, check all of the connections. It could just be that the computer is getting now power and that the battery is discharged.

If not

Try this. Remove the battery, just let it sit for a bit.
Remove the power, and let the computer sit for 15 minutes or so.
Now reinsert the AC cable.

Worst case scenario is that it might have received some sort of power spike.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Eniregnat said:
If the AC cable is not showing green or orange, you should consider that you primary battery is dead and so is the AC adaptor. Check the wall outlet, check all of the connections. It could just be that the computer is getting now power and that the battery is discharged.

If not

Try this. Remove the battery, just let it sit for a bit.
Remove the power, and let the computer sit for 15 minutes or so.
Now reinsert the AC cable.

Worst case scenario is that it might have received some sort of power spike.

allow me to clarify...
the cable + battery works fine
its just that when i put my laptop to sleep for more than a few hours, it wont come back from it. but when i reboot, it's fine. if i put the laptop to sleep a few minutes, it comes back from sleep just fine.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
carbonmotion said:
allow me to clarify...
the cable + battery works fine
its just that when i put my laptop to sleep for more than a few hours, it wont come back from it. but when i reboot, it's fine. if i put the laptop to sleep a few minutes, it comes back from sleep just fine.
can someone help please?

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
I have the same problem with my 3 year old Titanium Powerbook.(just a bit older than yours) It wont come back from sleep. I've tried every thing in the book to fix it, but i cant. Although I havent tried a new battery yet - cause there ~120ish - a bit to much for me right now.

I KNOW its a Power management issue, but resetting the PMU doesnt fix anything. So know i just leave it up and awake as much as i can. Apart from Replacing the Logic Board with a newer one i dont see how i can fix the problem. :( :( :mad:

I have used this computer everyday (4-5 hours a day) for 3 years. So im just chalking it up to old age, and VERY heavy use. Im ready for a new computer anyway.

we87110

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2006
PB Sleep Issue

16 June 2006;

There seems to be an activator wake/sleep called a 'reed switch' - it is sensitive to motions keystrokes and any movements...it happens on my iBook g4 off and on for reasons (?) - humidity/ temp changes while cooling during sleep - making the mechanical reed switch erratic.

Check out a new switch; perhaps..

Wayne Eligur Abq., New Mexico

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
It's a G4, correct? Is there a gray screen with a little progress indicator when you press the power botton?
thumb-safesleep.jpg

If there is, a new feature on these machines, called "safe sleep", may be enabled on your computer. This means that after a specified amount of time your PowerBook saves its memory to the hardrive and shuts down. Thus, when you open its lid, nothing happens. The computer is completey off. When you press your power button, the memory is automatically restored from the hard drive and all returns to normal, usually. Because your computer was completely off while in safe sleep, there was nothing keeping track of time, except for the motherboard's clock. I think it is likely you need to change the battery on the mobo, but this could be a software related issue.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
iDuck said:
It's a G4, correct? Is there a gray screen with a little progress indicator when you press the power botton?
thumb-safesleep.jpg

If there is, a new feature on these machines, called "safe sleep", may be enabled on your computer. This means that after a specified amount of time your PowerBook saves its memory to the hardrive and shuts down. Thus, when you open its lid, nothing happens. The computer is completey off. When you press your power button, the memory is automatically restored from the hard drive and all returns to normal, usually. Because your computer was completely off while in safe sleep, there was nothing keeping track of time, except for the motherboard's clock. I think it is likely you need to change the battery on the mobo, but this could be a software related issue.
He said it's an older 1GHz PowerBook G4. They did not have this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.