Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
March 2024- Still weening myself off Prednisone, down to 6 mg per day, my impression of end game, get off prednisone completely, take Actemra for some period of time after (it lowers your immune system to prevent the return of an auto-immune disease) and just hope there is no relapse of the Temporal Arteritis or discover what level of medicine (steroids or Actemra) is required to keep it at bay.. This is what I’m getting from the doctor. Using the Actemra, I found a $6k grant to reduce my cost. Under Medicare with RX coverage, it appears that the medicine runs about a $100 a month, about $2000 during the Medicare donut hole (gap in coverage) and then back to $100 a month (4 injections per month).

So far no relapse with the Subcapsular Urinoma (Kidney leaking) as far as I know. In a couple months I’ll get another CT Scan which seems to be the way to identify the condition in advance of symptoms of abdominal pain.

Question regarding toenail fungus-. Anyone here ever get laser treatment for it? How many sessions and did it return? Over the decades, this is the third time I’ve had it. This last time, I took 2 rounds of oral medicine, 3 months each time, and it was no longer effective. I was going to see a podiatrist about laser treatment, but this other stuff popped up last fall, so I put it off.

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
Question regarding toenail fungus-. Anyone here ever get laser treatment for it? How many sessions and did it return? Over the decades, this is the third time I’ve had it. This last time, I took 2 rounds of oral medicine, 3 months each time, and it was no longer effective. I was going to see a podiatrist about laser treatment, but this other stuff popped up last fall, so I put it off.

I had my nail taken off several years ago without laser treatment cause insurance doesn't cover it and I was broke, and mine came back when the nail came back. I don't think the Doctor properly killed the nail bed though.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
This thread is truly humbling. Whenever I consider one of my problems unbearable, I come here and realize how much worse others are. It's sad, awakening and shocking all at once. I truly feel sorry for those who are suffering far worse than me.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
I don't know. I don't have to go back to my Neurologist until August or unless I have an unexpected Tonic Clonic seizure. (Formerly known as a Grand Mal seizure.)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Chapter 9- Off To The Races.

As you may recall in the last Chapter, I dashed from one hospital to another (Sat 25 Nov) because the first hospital would not accept me (thank goodness) but there was a price to pay, wreathing in pain, howling at the sky, contemplating my soon to be altered existence.

For anyone who says “what the hell, why was an ambulance not taking you?“ The last time my wife rode an ambulence 5 miles to the hospital, it was attempted extortion by the County of $5k, later negotiated down to $2k and when I left the first hospital, there was no significant pain, after the doctor pressed all over my abdomen, and I was stable.

While in the new hospital, my new urologist, Dr. S had conferred with the Emergency Room Doctor, Dr.H and the plan was for me to see him see him on Monday, 27Nov, which I actually managed to do, having to hit the phone, first thing Monday morning, penetrating his office‘s antiquated phone system no one answering, leaving multiple messages. Having them call me back almost felt like a miracle! :)

The plan in his office was to send out an imaging order for a CT scan with enhanced contrast to the hospital, so the doctor could get a better picture of what was going on in my gut, before pulling out his scalpel. So that week of 27Nov, I went about my business, saw my New primary doctor on Tuesday (28th) and got her up to speed.

Saw my rheumatologist on Wednesday (29th) regarding my Temporal Arteritis*, the plan there is to ween me down off the high dose of Prednisone, to something more healthy without bringing my symptoms (severe headaches, and risk of damaged optic nerve) back.

*I had been calling it Athritis, which is incorrect.

About Wed (29Nov) , I had expected the Hospital to have called me, and while in the Urologist’s office that previous Monday, I had asked the front desk staff about the “imaging order”, one of the girls had it, but was complaining that something was missing, and I actually left there thinking, “ah, they will take care of it”.

So on Wed (29Nov), I called Dr. S’s office 4 times and ended up leaving 4 urgent messages. These messages were urgent, because although I had been given trusty hard core pain management”medicine on the previous Saturday, about Tuesday my abdominal pain had increased to a point where I had to start taking hydrocodone pill every 4 hours and where I could no longer sleep in bed due to pain, where my easy chair had sufficed to sleep in for several nights, it was no longer sufficient to stave off my abdominal side, back pain. In other words things were coming to a boil for a second time. 😳

Then I get an “oops” message from Dr. S’s office the order had been delayed to the hospital. No, not possible? 🤔

I arrive at Thursday (30Nov) morning 4am with acute pain on my right side. Joe, my kidney is very unhappy, but not yet spasing out. That would be the pulsing, undulating, pushing nails out into my cut feeling that freezes me in my tracks. I wake my wife and ask her to take me to the hospital, a 20 mile drive. I recline the seat on the Toyota to about 50 degrees, gingerly climb in and fortunately Joe is semi-satisfied it is not being abused by me.

At the hospital, I get the CT with enhanced contrast, constantly in debilitating “give me a couple minutes” pain as any pressure put on my abdomen based on normal movements sets off Joe. The ER doctor consults with someone and they decide to put a drain (needle, tube, external 600 ml bag) into the “liquid filled” cyst.

I’m lightly sedated in an operating room, am told there will be a slight pinch as a needle is inserted into my side. Almost immediately the pain recedes as the bag starts to fill. Repeatedly emptied about 2.5 liters flows out, like formerly having an extra half gallon milk jug taking up space in my gut pressing up against my kidney.

I’m admitted to the hospital for observation. I have to say I had the best hospital food I’ve ever eaten. The next morning Dr.S. the urologist walks in my room with good news, I don’t have a giant damaged kidney with big cyst inside, but a giant liquid filled cyst that is semi surrounding the kidney and that now that the cyst is draining, relieving pressure on the kidney, the kidney is function is returning to normal! Great news, and they were going to release me from the hospital. The plan is to meet with the urologist, this morning 5Dec and decide on the next step.

Because they had been recording how much liquid was draining from the cyst at the hospital, no one asked me, but I continued to monitor this from home as I continued to empty the cyst bag that I keep in the pocket of my pants. It’s been draining at a variable rate of 22-100 ML per hour. The liquid was red, then over the weekend transistioned to pink, and now is a light tan color, but it still flowing. The doctor had mentioned something about it drying up, but so far it has not. I could easily imagine, the next step is to pluck that sucker out. Not so fast, more to come…
I finally got a bill for last Nov, kidney issue as described in the post above. This was for one night in the hospital. A minor operation was conducted to put a drain in my kidney, they barely sedated me, and the procedure was about 15 minutes to poke a hole in my side. That part of the bill for the operation, including anesthesia was $10k. But it's deceptive on a couple of levels.

The Bill:
Hospital Charge: $39000
- Operation $8k (minimalist 15 min procedure)
- Anesthesia- $2.5k
- CT Scan- $9.5k
Total Insurance Adjust -$37740 (wiped away by insurance)

• First off, Medicare! You've got to love it from a patient expense standpoint.There is no way that an average person could afford the initial bill listed above.
  • 2nd- $39000 charge, even if it was not paid, for 1 night in the hospital? Ridiculous. Back when on regular company insurance before medicare, my wife spent 3 hrs in an Emergency room for heat exhaustion, where very little wa done and the bill was $5k that we had to pay. 😤
  • 3rd- How can the hospital operate getting reimbursed $1360 for what they did do?? Do they hate Medicare? But is the initial bill a huge tax scheme to show big losses?? 🤔

Reactions: Richard8655

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I finally got a bill for last Nov, kidney issue as described in the post above. This was for one night in the hospital. A minor operation was conducted to put a drain in my kidney, they barely sedated me, and the procedure was about 15 minutes to poke a hole in my side. That part of the bill for the operation, including anesthesia was $10k. But it's deceptive on a couple of levels.

The Bill:
- Anesthesia- $2.5k
- CT Scan- $9.5k

• First off, Medicare! You've got to love it from a patient expense standpoint.There is no way that an average person could afford the initial bill listed above.
  • 2nd- $39000 charge, even if it was not paid, for 1 night in the hospital? Ridiculous. Back when on regular company insurance before medicare, my wife spent 3 hrs in an Emergency room for heat exhaustion, where very little wa done and the bill was $5k that we had to pay. 😤
  • 3rd- How can the hospital operate getting reimbursed $1360 for what they did do?? Do they hate Medicare? But is the initial bill a huge tax scheme to show big losses?? 🤔
Glad to hear you're not bankrupted by this! The hospital charged $39K because they manage to get some people to pay absurd bills like that, one way or the other.

Anyway, the important thing is that I hope you are OK.

• Love
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Glad to hear you're not bankrupted by this! The hospital charged $39K because they manage to get some people to pay absurd bills like that, one way or the other.

Anyway, the important thing is that I hope you are OK.
I got a CT scan yesterday to check on the status of my kidney. 🤞Right now everything feels ok, and I have been working out in the gym as usual. :)

Reactions: VulchR

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs

The Bill:
- Anesthesia- $2.5k
- CT Scan- $9.5k

Glad everything went well and costs were covered. Those charges are really behind the pale excessive, and why healthcare is so expensive in this country. Among the highest in the world.

I just pity those folks who have no insurance or are not of Medicare age and in similar circumstances with such a bill. This wouldn't be a worry in countries with national healthcare. (hope I don't get moderator lambasted for politics!)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.