Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
I love Ultra but to say that battery life is good is a ridiculous statement. Is it better than regular AW yes it is but that doesn’t say much. It’s like saying that you are only alcoholic and do light drugs and only been to jail for a month but you are ok because your friend is a hardcore criminal and drug addict so you are better than him. Battery life on AW just sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: bdart2 and jdb8167

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
I'm at 39 hours with 38% battery left. AOD is on. I've swam with it on so it was using depth sensing, but no workouts.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I love Ultra but to say that battery life is good is a ridiculous statement. Is it better than regular AW yes it is but that doesn’t say much. It’s like saying that you are only alcoholic and do light drugs and only been to jail for a month but you are ok because your friend is a hardcore criminal and drug addict so you are better than him. Battery life on AW just sucks.
Apple has been stating battery life of 18hrs for 8 years, Ultra doubled that.
It is what it is given all the features. If you don’t like that, AW is not for you.
Time to move on from …

Reactions: skeptech

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
Ultra 2. 18 hours in. Battery 73%. I have always on display on. So far I find the Ultra more useful with the modular face compared to the other watches. I dont think I would go back to the other watches.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
4hr bike tour with S9 Cellular (but phone nearby) down to 69% from 100.
Can’t complain but Battery Health on my S6 was at 81% so…. Might as well be Fresh Battery Effect.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Had my Series 9 since Saturday. I charge it at about 7 AM for 40 minutes while getting ready for work. Today that got me 98%.

It’s now 7:30 PM and I’m at 65%. By tomorrow at 7 AM I’ll be down to 35%-40% while wearing it for sleep tracking. During the day the screen is always on. Sleeping it is off. I’m not sure how doubling/tripling/quadrupling the battery would make much difference. I guess if I forgot to put it on its charger I could skip a day but every day is easier to remember than every three or four days.

For me the key thing is not to go below about 20% to keep the battery healthy.

Reactions: midkay

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
My AWU 2 runs about 1.7% battery per hour with cellular off. It runs about 2.5% per hour with cellular on. I always have AOD on and use a modular watch face shown. Brightness is at 50%, haptics are normal, not prominent, and sound turned up to full. I get a lot of texts during the day.

I took my watch off the charger at 7am with 100% and it was at 85% at 4pm with cellular off.
IMG_4290.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: iamdamian

Cristim74

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
My AWU 2 runs about 1.7% battery per hour with cellular off. It runs about 2.5% per hour with cellular on.
According to your numbers I shouldn't be able to run it for 2 full days with cellular on. However after 2 full days with cellular on I still have 10% left. Am I doing something diferent? I have AOD on, haptics and use a modular watch face as well.

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
I’m on my third cycle. Both cycles I had brightness at highest setting with AOD on and notifications on. Both times it went into third day when I finally charged it before leaving for work and each time I had around 31% left on the battery. UW1 maybe lasted me a day and a half, so thus far I’m impressed.

Reactions: MG999

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
My AWU 2 runs about 1.7% battery per hour with cellular off. It runs about 2.5% per hour with cellular on.
So if you're trying to maximize battery life (and battery health) I guess it makes sense to only turn on LTE when you're heading out for a run or ride (or something else) without your phone? I always get LTE watches so I don't have to carry my phone with me when I'm running, but I never thought to turn it off for the rest of the day.

Reactions: 4sallypat

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
So if you're trying to maximize battery life (and battery health) I guess it makes sense to only turn on LTE when you're heading out for a run or ride (or something else) without your phone? I always get LTE watches so I don't have to carry my phone with me when I'm running, but I never thought to turn it off for the rest of the day.
Hmm. I wouldn't expect the watch to use any power for cellular unless you are away from your iPhone and a known WiFi hotspot. I'll have to turn mine off and see if it makes a difference.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
Apple Watch 9. Charged it before bed. Down to 81% by 11am and I haven’t done a workout yet. This is not looking good. My series 8 would have been at 80% at noon after a workout 😣

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
According to your numbers I shouldn't be able to run it for 2 full days with cellular on. However after 2 full days with cellular on I still have 10% left. Am I doing something diferent? I have AOD on, haptics and use a modular watch face as well.
you are probably around your phone most of the time and its switching cellular off

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
I have the Ultra 2. It was at 100% last night before bed (about 10pm) and when I woke up at 6:00 it was still at 98%. I had a full day yesterday so when I put it on the charger that night it was at about 67% still.

Loving the new battery life.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I upgraded from a Series 5 to Ultra 2. Was a bit torn whether to go with Series 9 or Ultra 2. After playing with it at the store, the modular ultra watch face and the blue ocean band sold me. My S5 was at 76% battery health, but I never had problem with it not lasting the day. When it was new I charged it every other day. The Ultra 2 I can now charge every 3 days, with 22% remaining nearly 3 full days since the last charge.

Attachments

• AW.JPG
    AW.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 44

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
¾ of a day if im lucky.
This was my case up until yesterday with my S9 and what looks like today. Now I am at 78%, grabbed the device around 6AM. Happy if this lasts going forward. Unrelated, my iPhone 15 Pro battery seems to have settled in as well.

My S8 would be down to 45 or 40 percent be evening, would charge it to 75 or 80 and drain it the next day. Hoping my S9 can survive nearly two days (maybe a small charge on day two), but we shall see. Going to start using fast charging to give it a boost during day two well.

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I guess it would then depend on how many times you interface with the watch. I have six kids, so I get lots of texts. I seem to be raising my watch a lot which probably burns more battery with the screen waking up. I don’t do much more other than maybe (2) 30 minute walks a day using the workout app.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Ultra 2 is definitely better than Ultra, but it is way too early in the cycle ...

The Ultra 2 is better for sure because it is based on the same chip that M2 is derived from.

The chip inside the Ultra 1 is much less energy efficient as it is still on 7nm and the high-efficiency cores are nowhere on the same level as M2 / A15.

It is why avoided the Ultra 1 as it had a super old chip inside (same one in the Series 6).

Reactions: Fozziebear71

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
The Ultra 2 is better for sure because it is based on the same chip that M2 is derived from.

The chip inside the Ultra 1 is much less energy efficient as it is still on 7nm and the high-efficiency cores are nowhere on the same level as M2 / A15.

It is why avoided the Ultra 1 as it had a super old chip inside (same one in the Series 6).
well, I thoroughly enjoyed my Ultra (1) despite the "super old chip" ...

• Haha
Reactions: cwanja
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.