Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaneTheGr8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
I have a new MacBook Pro M1, and I adore the battery - it's leap years ahead of coming from my MacBook Pro mid-2012 non-retina which lasted a push of 4 - 5 hours.

I know battery technology has evolved, but how do you guys charge your MacBook Pro for the most optimum way of retaining the battery for as long as possible. As indicated I like keeping my laptop devices for quite long so would like this epic battery to keep me going for years to come.

When receiving the M1 Pro I got it about 54% and used the battery until 0% and fully charged it to 100% and immediately removed from charge. (I used to let me 2012 MBP stay on charge due to how frequently it died).

Now I let it go to about 20%-30% and charge it til about 85% - 90% and then keep it in that range but several days of use pass me by between charges.

What is your general charging schedule or advised best charging schedule for the MacBook Pro M1 2020?

Also: if at any time, how often would you drop it to 0% and charge to 100% to recalibrate?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I leave it plugged in almost all of the time and let the OS deal with the battery. It's never been an issue for me in the past and with the new optimized battery charging it seems like it will be even less of an issue moving forward.

Reactions: chabig

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have a new MacBook Pro M1, and I adore the battery - it's leap years ahead of coming from my MacBook Pro mid-2012 non-retina which lasted a push of 4 - 5 hours.

I know battery technology has evolved, but how do you guys charge your MacBook Pro for the most optimum way of retaining the battery for as long as possible. As indicated I like keeping my laptop devices for quite long so would like this epic battery to keep me going for years to come.

When receiving the M1 Pro I got it about 54% and used the battery until 0% and fully charged it to 100% and immediately removed from charge. (I used to let me 2012 MBP stay on charge due to how frequently it died).

Now I let it go to about 20%-30% and charge it til about 85% - 90% and then keep it in that range but several days of use pass me by between charges.

What is your general charging schedule or advised best charging schedule for the MacBook Pro M1 2020?

Also: if at any time, how often would you drop it to 0% and charge to 100% to recalibrate?
Your schedule sounds like what my M1 Air automatically does. Mine does not often charge above 80% and then discharges down to 60% or so before it starts charging. I plug it when I am near a plug, but other than that don't worry about it.

DaneTheGr8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
What's the healthiest charging solution to preserve this battery for a long haul thinking of M1 in mind that's doing a lot for the battery already?

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
Remove from charge, 3 days later put it back on charge when its around 20%, absolutely mental battery life.

henryseiden

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
I had pretty good results with my old MBP 2019.

That said, when my battery was replaced under warranty, Apple did not replace ALL batteries, just the ones that swelled up the case. Hence, the center battery failed soon after (1 year almost exactly). That coincided with other work it needed, so back it went. The battery came back completely fixed this time again, so I sold it and got a MBP2021 18,3 M1. Great battery with much lower power requirements, therefore much improved battery run time.

I'm using a app (Better Battery 2 Pro) to check on it. Use the OS to control the charging which keeps it at 80%. I discharge it for ~ 50 min 3x/wk. So far looks great.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
Plugged in pretty much every day, use at weekends on battery where by Monday its around 50% when I plug it back in, after a year its still showing battery health 100%.

guitarguy19

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2022
Anyone use Aldente (free or pro)?

I’m thinking of trying out the pro version for $20 lifetime license…seems like some cool features.

My MBP 14 is on order…will arrive in a couple days. It will get 80+% of its use through a Studio Display and stay plugged in for days at a time potentially…so figure I should pay attention to the battery somewhat…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.