Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GetToDaChopa

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
iLampSmall.jpg
This might be a stupid post but, it would be interesting to see your PPC desk setup. If its been done before then why not post an updated photo!. Recently I've pulled my gaming windows PC out and got a new desk for a refresh and setup an iMac g4 as a daily computer. My Favourite (in gary oldmans voice)

There is a ton of abondanware for it and it going on the internet through my wifi, i have a bunch of movies and music on it. Its a 1GHz 1.5GB ram and a 120GB intel SSD (ide to sata converted) Runs beautifully, Mac os Tiger. And paired with a nintendo white keyboard and magic mouse (with supported drivers for Tiger)

Attachments

• iLampSmall.jpg
    iLampSmall.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
This might be a stupid post but, it would be interesting to see your PPC desk setup. If its been done before then why not post an updated photo!. Recently I've pulled my gaming windows PC out and got a new desk for a refresh and setup an iMac g4 as a daily computer. My Favourite (in gary oldmans voice)

There is a ton of abondanware for it and it going on the internet through my wifi, i have a bunch of movies and music on it. Its a 1GHz 1.5GB ram and a 120GB intel SSD (ide to sata converted) Runs beautifully, Mac os Tiger. And paired with a nintendo white keyboard and magic mouse (with supported drivers for Tiger) View attachment 673732

I also have a 1GHz 1.5GB ram G4 iMac which runs Leopard(tweaked) pretty well. These are really sweet machines, especially the USB 2 models. Not yet installed an SSD in mine, I've reserved that pleasure for the 1.25GHz USB2 17" model which imho is a 'killer', very underestimated G4. Only surpassed by the 1.25GHz 20", although strangely enough I now prefer the 17". A few photos to follow in due course.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
- On the right is my daily driver - a PowermacG4 dual 1Ghz, 1.5GB ram, many hard drives, 10.5.8/10.4.11/9.2.1.
- On the left is a PowermacG5 dual 2GHz, 4GB ram, many hard drives, 10.5.8.
- Both are using that 23" Apple Cinema display in the middle for desktop.
- Both use a Presonus AudioBox via USB splitter into a pair of Rokit8"s and Fostex PMO.4's for sound.
- I *want* a 2nd 23" cinema display for the PMG5 and then share the KB/M via an app.

mancave 10-30-16.jpg

Next to the G5 is a Intel 2008 13" Unibody Aluminum MB, 2Ghz CoreDuo, 8GB ram, 240GB SSD, 10.11.6 - ignore that one :D
Next to that is my new (built this year) gaming rig Intel i7-5820k, EVGA X99 Classified, 32GB DDR43000, 2T raid, 128GB boot SSD, Radeon XFX6790, W10 64bit. - ignore that one too :)

Last edited:

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
- On the right is my daily driver - a PowermacG4 dual 1Ghz, 1.5GB ram, many hard drives, 10.5.8/10.4.11/9.2.1.
- On the left is a PowermacG5 dual 2GHz, 4GB ram, many hard drives, 10.5.8.
- Both are using that 23" Apple Cinema display in the middle for desktop.
- Both use a Presonus AudioBox via USB splitter into a pair of Rokit8"s and Fostex PMO.4's for sound.
- I *want* a 2nd 23" cinema display for the PMG5 and then share the KB/M via an app.

View attachment 673940

Next to the G5 is a Intel 2008 13" Unibody Aluminum MB, 2Ghz CoreDuo, 8GB ram, 240GB SSD, 10.11.6 - ignore that one :D
Next to that is my new (built this year) gaming rig.
Any excuse for using the G4 as a daily driver instead of the G5? :D
[doublepost=1479774488][/doublepost]
This is an old pic from last summer. But I set up this desk exclusively for my quad g5. Also pictured is my powerbook g4 12 inch.

WULk9yjl.jpg
So neat and clean... wish my PowerPC setup was this nice. Pics coming soon, guys.

Reactions: 1042686

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Honestly Henry, I just really freakin' like the fact that I can take a 16 year old trash picked powermacG4, put some low dough $$$ into it and have a really great machine. I'm kinda "papa-bear" proud of that I guess? Functionally, while I do boot into Leopard most of the time, I like having Tiger and classic available to me as I have images of all three on bootable drives in this box. Leopard has really grown on me as I find (no way to quantify) that OSX apps work better/faster/smoother in this OS on the PMG4QS, enhancing its DD status further. I imagine that when I get a 2nd Cinema display for my PMG5 that I will be using it a lot more just because it is a bit quieter, obviously quicker, it looks damn cool, it drives garageband & Photoshop very well, and we're moving into the winter, so that heat it puts off will come in handy around January 1. :p Still, I just really like this QuickSilver.

Bomb.com :D

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've avoided engaging in these conversations for the past few months because my Quicksilver has been problematic. I shut it down some months ago to swap out a fan and the PSU decided to take a dump which took out another USB card, possibly the SATA card and most certainly my connected via USB cable SATA dock.

I was gifted a PSU and that's revived the Mac but unfortunately getting to the login screen is a royal PITA and I can't get beyond that.

On the up side, all three video cards and all six displays are perfectly fine as are all my hard drives. Just damn frustrating.

So far that's been three USB cards and three SATA cards this Mac has fried. The Quicksilver is my favorite Mac, but I think it's time to move on…we'll see what happens.

For the record…my setup a few months back. It's different now, but there you go.

2016-01-02 21.26.06 HDR.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I've avoided engaging in these conversations for the past few months because my Quicksilver has been problematic. I shut it down some months ago to swap out a fan and the PSU decided to take a dump which took out another USB card, possibly the SATA card and most certainly my connected via USB cable SATA dock.

I was gifted a PSU and that's revived the Mac but unfortunately getting to the login screen is a royal PITA and I can't get beyond that.

On the up side, all three video cards and all six displays are perfectly fine as are all my hard drives. Just damn frustrating.

So far that's been three USB cards and three SATA cards this Mac has fried. The Quicksilver is my favorite Mac, but I think it's time to move on…we'll see what happens.

For the record…my setup a few months back. It's different now, but there you go.
View attachment 673949

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your troubles. What do you think you'll move on to? What about one of those very many & very fine PPC macs at your work? :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your troubles. What do you think you'll move on to? What about one of those very many & very fine PPC macs at your work? :D
LOL!

Well, for now I'll probably bring the iMac G5 home for a bit. It's my Mac after all and just sitting at work. But the others all have specific purposes and are NOT mine.

I have a deal worked out for a G5 and there will be some financial resources in the new year, so we'll see which comes first. The G5 or an MDD.

I hate the look of the MDDs but their internals are much better designed. I've said it a few times here but I don't believe Apple ever intended anyone to drop a full load of PCI cards into the Quicksilver, let alone three (or more) video cards. Thermally, the QS is completely inefficient except if you're using a moderate amount of cards.

I've seen a MDD loaded with eight or more drives though. I will still have my six displays, just going to depend on what Mac those cards go into.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Well, for now I'll probably bring the iMac G5 home for a bit. It's my Mac after all and just sitting at work. But the others all have specific purposes and are NOT mine.

I have a deal worked out for a G5 and there will be some financial resources in the new year, so we'll see which comes first. The G5 or an MDD.

I hate the look of the MDDs but their internals are much better designed. I've said it a few times here but I don't believe Apple ever intended anyone to drop a full load of PCI cards into the Quicksilver, let alone three (or more) video cards. Thermally, the QS is completely inefficient except if you're using a moderate amount of cards.

I've seen a MDD loaded with eight or more drives though. I will still have my six displays, just going to depend on what Mac those cards go into.

I guess I'll be the holdout using a Quicksilver as a main computer...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I guess I'll be the holdout using a Quicksilver as a main computer...
Honestly…I don't know what I will do.

Probably break down and try and find another SATA card.

Just don't have the immediate finances at the moment to throw everything at once at the damn thing and force it to work.

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS

View attachment 673949
I do have to wonder how much stress is put on the power supply by the extra video cards and other add-ons. I'm not trying to take away from the badass-ness that is your Quicksilver. Just thinkin' that it may need an equally badass power supply.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I do have to wonder how much stress is put on the power supply by the extra video cards and other add-ons. I'm not trying to take away from the badass-ness that is your Quicksilver. Just thinkin' that it may need an equally badass power supply.
Yeah. I've thought about an ATX PSU with an adapter. That's another direction I may go in. Not sure how much I'd have to modify the case though.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Honestly…I don't know what I will do.
Probably break down and try and find another SATA card. Just don't have the immediate finances at the moment to throw everything at once at the damn thing and force it to work.

I kinda gave up on the idea of a PCI sata controller that gets along with a G4 + SSD boot drive and refocused on maximizing the existing ide cables. As much as I'd love to upgrade to a SS boot drive like your QS had, the sata controller cards I've found are cost-prohibitive and speed has been better than I expected transitioning to leopard.

Again, best of luck to you. I'm kind of into the idea of a MDD. There are some bad*ss MDD builds I've seen on youtube.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I kinda gave up on the idea of a PCI sata controller that gets along with a G4 + SSD boot drive and refocused on maximizing the existing ide cables. As much as I'd love to upgrade to a SS boot drive like your QS had, the sata controller cards I've found are cost-prohibitive and speed has been better than I expected transitioning to leopard.

Again, best of luck to you. I'm kind of into the idea of a MDD. There are some bad*ss MDD builds I've seen on youtube.
SSDs were also an option I'd considered as that would eliminate a lot of the heat issues I've had. Unfortunately, the prices for the capacity of SSDs I'd want are astronomical!

All my HDs are standard hard drives.

I have one 4TB hard drive and three 1TB hard drives, along with one 650GB laptop drive and a smaller 120GB laptop drive.

Going back to IDE isn't really an option. The largest HD I can get for that is about 320GB. My current boot drive is one of the 1TB ones.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
My primary setup! Gave me an excuse to get some organizing done for the Photo. Macs that made the photo:
Quad PowerMac G5
20" iMac G4
500MHz G4 Cube
PowerBook 190cs
Performs 6115 serving as the LocalTalk bridge for the printer
800MHz iBook G3
Dead 15" MBP on the floor
IMG_2202.JPG
IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2206.JPG

Last edited:

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
I actually drove through Lyons a few weeks ago on my way to Ellinwood. I actually thought that was a good looking town square.
It's not too bad here. When I was a teenager, the square was a hangout spot on weekends. That was before smart phones and stuff. I actually work in Ellinwood quite a bit. That highway project keeps us pretty busy; we'd be in a world of hurt if a construction crew cut our fiber.

So... if that Quad ever needs a new home, it's good to know that you know your way here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.