Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your downstream internet speed?

• 0-50Mbps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-100Mbps

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • 150Mbps

• 200Mbps

• 250Mbps

• 300Mbps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 350Mbps

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 500Mbps

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 900Mbps / Gigabit

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters

surfnode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm currently looking to changing broadband providers here in the UK and at this time I am subbed to a 500Mbps package.

Would be interesting to see what speeds other people are subbed to and why.

Comments welcome and if you're in the UK it would be great to know who your ISP is (mine 500Mbps @ BT).

Thanks!

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I have 600 mbps down/ 30 mbps up from Sparklight in the US. They do offer gigabit speeds but I'm not made of money and they think I am. For what I do at home, 600 down is just fine. If I was uploading YouTube videos every day or hour, then I'd go for their gigabit up and down but I can't justify what they're asking for.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have 600 mbps down/ 30 mbps up from Sparklight in the US. They do offer gigabit speeds but I'm not made of money and they think I am. For what I do at home, 600 down is just fine. If I was uploading YouTube videos every day or hour, then I'd go for their gigabit up and down but I can't justify what they're asking for.
I pay roughly $84 for gig speeds, plus another $50 on top for unlimited data. For me, that's not unreasonable. However, internet is one of those things along with computers and phones that I put my money in to so what is reasonable to me seems to be outrageous to a lot of people I talk to.

I also work from home, so one irritating factor for me is that (when I am working) I am limited by the speeds of the business package my bosses pay for on their end.

How much is Sparklight asking?

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Hello all,

I'm currently looking to changing broadband providers here in the UK and at this time I am subbed to a 500Mbps package.

Would be interesting to see what speeds other people are subbed to and why.

Comments welcome and if you're in the UK it would be great to know who your ISP is (mine 500Mbps @ BT).

Thanks!
As I live in the UK then currently on Plusnet.

I have there unlimited fibre extra which is upto 66mbps but actually get 71.35 on test just now. 18mb up.

have good connection to exchange, so above what they claim is there average.

It is fast enough as live on own so really don’t need faster.

can stream a movie to iPad and online game at the same time without issue.

work from home and is more then fast enough, I used to be on a 52mb package which was legacy as when joined plusnet then openreach had fibre one, upto 36mb and fibre 2 upto 72.
however plusnet just bough the 80/20 from openreach and throttled to 40 but you still got 20 up.

to move off they upgraded to 52mb/10mb offering.

even the 52mb was enough.

plusnet don’t offer full fibre but have started offering the fibre broadband without telephone line however find useful as parents with Plusnet so 60min call each other for free.

if family then would probably want more so everyone can stream / download but I find what have is fast enough.

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
SoCal here with Cox Gig down and 100MBdown. I, like Eyoung, work from home. Almost all of my work is now cloud based, including photos, so I need a lot of fast bandwidth.

Antares23

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2014
Chartres, France
Bouygues Telecom in France, I pay 30 bucks per month for Fiber internet and TV.
Capture d’écran 2023-10-31 à 01.11.49.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.