Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
iOS and Android user here. Have a personal and business line. I’ve had every combo of sim installation ie dual sims in my iPhone and Android, business on Android personal on iPhone and vice versa. Some mornings I wake up and don’t even remember my setup lol.

Have settled in lately on personal on iPhone and business on Android, my whole personal network including kids are on iOS and just can’t get away from iMessage and family setup (app approval, photos, etc) so it works for me at this point.

I have Beeper installed on my Fold so I can still iMessage via my phone number given my personal sim is in my iPhone. I still like using Google messages for the full android experience but typically only text my wife from my business line (drives her crazy).

Being a tech enthusiast I like having both OSs at my disposal and playing around. Love the Fold too.

Not an Android vs iOS thread so curious as to how other people are using dual OSs

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
You basically just want to look for apps and services that are available on every OS or are web-based, so that your experience and capabilities are very close regardless of what device you are using.

My daily apps would be the same on Windows, iOS, and Android:
Google for Mail, Contacts, Calendar (you can use Google's apps or sync to iPhone and just use the default apps)
I use whatever browser is native (Edge, Safari, Chrome), but import the same bookmarks html file to all of them
Microsoft Office for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, To Do
...and Microsoft OneDrive gives you 1 TB with the annual plan, which is enough for documents AND photo backup
Bitwarden for passwords
PocketCasts for podcasts
TV Time for show/movie tracking
Spotify for music
Okta, NordVPN, Vudu, Amazon, etc... all platform independent

Reactions: Bkdodger

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
For me it's the 14PM as my main phone and the Flip 5 as my secondary line.

I just traded in the S23U for the Flip 5 cause I wanted a smaller second phone. And so far it's been great. I feel like the only thing major I'm truly sacrificing is the periscope zoom. I plan on trading the 14PM for the 15PM, so I will get periscope zoom back.

I pretty much use the same cross platform apps on both, and 99% of them are basically equal on both platforms. iOS does have better exclusive apps though. But there's also some apps on Android that allow you to do what Apple/iOS forbids.

I use my Google accounts to sync my contacts, calendar, and Gmail on all platforms (even on Windows desktop).

On Samsung (Flip 5) ... Secure Folder is invaluable for me. I use that strictly for work related stuff and corporate emails from multiple companies. Which is great cause IT only has access/permissions to my Secure Folder, not my entire phone. Apple really needs to adapt something like this, that's also as secure.

I use the Dual Messenger feature so I can have two different WhatsApp and Skype accounts on the same phone.

And when using this phone for bluetooth audio, I use the Separate App Sound feature. I can send anything I want to bluetooth speakers and keep other app audio on my phone. This is also great to avoid hearing notification sounds and/or muted interruptions on a bluetooth speaker when playing audio.

On Apple (14PM) ... Too many of my domestic family and friends use iMessage & Facetime. I can still easily do without iMessage/Facetime, but it's much easier having it.

I basically shoot videos 90% of the time with the iPhone, as I always get better results.

The AWU is my favorite smartwatch. I also have a Samsung Watch 5 Pro, but as good as that watch is, it's still no AWU.
I use the Find My app heavily, and unfortunately there's no reliable equivalent for it on Android.

I have a decent amount of Apple products, and the integration with iPhone is a plus.

I'm on iOS17 beta, and the past several weeks Live Voicemail has proven to be something I don't wanna be without. I stopped using Google Voice for my voicemails cause Live Voicemail is just that good.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
how other people are using dual OSs

Avoid using Apple services (or any services limited to a single OS). Job done.

I suppose it becomes more difficult if you are paying for kid's iPhones and Apple services though. This isn't a consideration for me.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
For me there is a big use vase for both

14 pro max is my daily with the apple watch ultra which ties together with my ipad pro, ipad mini, air pods, macbook pro and imac. Apple TV you name it. Air tags. So apple is my ecosystem which will always be the case

However I love using android for the stuff I can’t always do on my apple devices. My pixel 7 pro is my work phone and my main photo taking device for family photos. So while I take photos of my family I use my iphone for video. Granted I often take photos on my iphone side by side but Christmas time pixel for photos, iphone for video works well.

I have a xiaomi 13 ultra for the photos my pixel simply can’t do or do as well. I love the camera system and having the chance to use a 1 inch sensor is cool.

I have fold 5 coming when I order it as my main mini tablet for work breaks or just relaxing on sofa that doesn’t require a big device so for content and overall being able to use the beauty of android multitasking

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Right now my daily is the S23U with my business line on my Pixel Fold. My iPhone 14PM is only used on wifi at the moment. I use beeper as well and iMessage has worked great with my apple id. I initiated conversation through it with my most frequent contacts and now almost all messages between us come thru my apple ID as iMessage via beeper as opposed to SMS via phone number. I'll always keep an iPhone and iPad handy as I have a pretty robust apple hardware ecosystem throughout the house but android is my mobile os of choice.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I don't have an intent of being a dual OS user. I don't have any Apple products anymore asside from my old iPod touch that i dont use.
I have Android and Windows on the PC I still like to use.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I've been using an iPhone for the longest time alongside one or two Android phones.. I'm currently still running with the iPhone 12 Pro which has been a solid phone for me.. I also have an iMac work from home along with a Samsung monitor for dual screens and an Apple watch Ultra which is a must for daily usage..also an old Mac Pro sits by although not much usage .. I use the iPhone for personal and also work mix and my Android phones are strictly for personal and my fun side lol... My current Android phones are the pixel fold and the z Flip 5.. I think I have a nice balance lol

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
How do you guys find using an Android phone with Mac? I’m thinking about syncing music and photo’s, backups and so on.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
IP14PM for my main phone and personal stuff... Ties in with my Apple eco system and AWU etc...

Samsung A53 5G for my business number and dealings but probably going to 'upgrade' my EE SIM ONLY contract to the Pixel Fold as have been offered a superb deal for it when my contract expires/gets renewed some end of September...

I don't have need for an iPad any more, more so with my M1 MBA being my business Mac and my M2 Mac Mini Pro my personal Co outer etc....

But I do miss reading my magazines on a hand held device. So that's where the Pixel Fold will come in very handy... If I do go for it...

There's no other Android handset currently that makes me want to upgrade my contract to...

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
How do you guys find using an Android phone with Mac? I’m thinking about syncing music and photo’s, backups and so on.
Apple Music and YouTube Music follow me on all devices along with SiriusXM...Google Photos for all ...and Samsung devices I have Smart Switch for backups for PC on my Mac ...

Reactions: danb1979

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Apple Music and YouTube Music follow me on all devices along with SiriusXM...Google Photos for all ...and Samsung devices I have Smart Switch for backups for PC on my Mac ...

Yup. Same with Apple music, YT and Google Photos etc...

I don't use any Samsung stuff though TBH. No need for it

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Yup. Same with Apple music, YT and Google Photos etc...

I don't use any Samsung stuff though TBH. No need for it

Samsung I like to have a backup on computer in case something goes wrong with one of the phones ..came in handy a few months ago when my S23U went out of commission…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.