Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jondrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I bought my wife a HomePod for Valentine’s Day. The HomePod has just come out, I hadn’t figured out a good gift yet, and I thought that if she didn’t like it, it could be easily returned.

After a day, the question wasn’t was it goi g back, but she “maybe we should buy another one?” Since we were carti g it back and forth between rooms.

That was the point I decided to look into automating some lights around the house. It started with a couple of Hue standard LED white bulbs. It’s now blossomed to more than 20 devices with more in the planning stages

I have Lutron Caseta dimmers, Leviton Decora switches, Hue floods in white and color and a Lutron motion detector I have not put in yet.

Everything seems to work very well. I get the occasional device not responding issues, so I dug an airport express out of a box as a bridge repeater to try to improve the WiFi signal to some devices.

Set up is ridiculously easy, and seems to work very well. My experience with Siri voice control is generally pretty good. Biggest issue seems to be me forgetting what I called a particular device.

I’m planning on adding dolor bulbs to my front porch, rear patio and 3 floods in the kitchen. I like being able to set subtle color highlighting, and of course it will enhance Holliday decorating. Next step is to add some 3-way switches (using the Leviton decora switches) I’m also going to convert a 3-way back to 2-way so I can use a Lutron dimmer.

After the lighting, I’ll go after security cameras and thermostats. Ceiling fan caontrols seem rather sparse for HomeKit at this point. Hunter fans have some options.

What I’m really enjoying about this is that installations are so simple, and the HomeKit app seems so robust. The fact you can tell real time if a device is on, off or off-line is fantastic. The only hard left is some wall switch installations. 3-way, 4-way switches seem bewildering at first, but there are excellent articles on the web to demystify them. Of course there nothing like trying to do a simple job like replacing a wall switch and then finding out what a crappy job the contractor did in installing it.

I’m hoping HomeKit keeps going and getting better. So far, all my devices are both HomeKit and Alexa comparable. I just bought a $40 Alexa to play with, but it’s still sitting in the box.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I have an AppleTV and HomePod. Seems like HomePod is fighting AppleTV for Hub rights so they both eventually give up hub rights (like right now, third time this week).

But when it works, it is SO responsive with the HomePod. It could be so great.

Love my setup too. The ecosystem of hardware could be better. I don’t think we’ll ever see Alexa-like functionality, but that’s fine. I never use my Echo either. Shouldn’t even have bought one. The fact is, smart assistants aren’t that smart at the moment.

Reactions: Shanesan

jondrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Love my setup too. The ecosystem of hardware could be better. I don’t think we’ll ever see Alexa-like functionality, but that’s fine. I never use my Echo either. Shouldn’t even have bought one. The fact is, smart assistants aren’t that smart at the moment.

I think they’re smart, just not 2001 HAL smart yet. But being an old X10’er, this is a huge step forward. Siri does a pretty good job of interpreting what I mean as opposed to what I say. Not perfect of course.

I don’t see me moving to WiFi controlled locks yet. Besides the cost, I’d want better reliability.

The hub thing was a bit confusing and frankly frustrating at the beginning. I have a Lutron and Hue hub. Both seem pretty much transparent to the HomeKit app. Leviton does not require a hub, but you have to ID each switch to the home app during installation. Again, that was a bit confusing at first, but now is pretty easy. Lutron makes a nice dimmer and Leviton makes a good double pole, single throw switch, which is good for simple on/off and three way switches ( when used in combination with a complimentary Leviton 3- way slave switch)

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
It's getting more useful as the iOS version goes up. Personally, it became "usable" since 10.2, when notifications became available. The whole thing still feels like a programming exercise, though. It's only as smart as how intelligently you tell it to do things since it can't think on its own. There are still some glaring limitations (no status polling, for example), which require the user to devise some interesting workarounds in some cases. Once everything is set up, though, it's fairly reliable. So overall I'm okay with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.