Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Favorite: the camera (upgraded from a 6s Plus)

Least Favorite: I miss the home screen rotating. Not a big deal to most people but I miss it.

I'm curious if they will add portrait mode with the iPhone 6.5 X launch in 2018. That's usually something that was exclusive to the iPhone Plus models, which I wonder if that will be prohibited or not for any future iPhone models.

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
Favorite:
* Faceid
* Swipe based navigations
* the manageable size (coming from a 7 Plus)

Hate:
* double tap to install, pretty hate it when I am checking out some type of apps.
* the white Home line which tends to stay longer than needed.
* No battery %.

I have accepted the Notch to be the best solution to keep most of the screen to body ratio, while keeping the sensors at a perfect spot.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
What's interesting, is that no one else has commented on the notch. It's either people are starting accept it for what it is or they're just tired of complaining about it altogether.

I've had mine for over a month. What's this notch that people (most of whom don't seem to have ever owned the phone) keep whining about?
[doublepost=1513687196][/doublepost]
Most favorite? The whole package I guess, from big things like the screen to small details like the haptics. But if I had to chose one: Face ID.

Least favorite - reaching the top right corner for the Control Center gesture, I guess.

That's what I was getting at. The top corner gestures really, really suck - for me. YMMV, but my own experience with them is pretty unfavorable on an otherwise amazing piece of tech.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Favorite: That oh so gorgeous 5.85” AMOLED display tuned for color accuracy perfection housed in the perfect chassis of premium materials. It’s the display I’ve been dreaming about on the iPhone and Apple delivered with the help of Samsung display.

Least favorite: Face ID. Ever since rumors swirled around about this technology I was a little disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, it does work surprisingly well, but Touch ID was effortless and I never thought about unlocking my phone.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Favorite Feature: Mine, which I'm mainly citing because I haven't seen mentioned, is how smoothly the screen responds when you swipe up for the home screen. It's an incredibly fluid and natural gesture. I suspect this is achieved with the higher 120hz-touch-sampling-rate that is unique to the iPhone X.

Least Favorite: Reaching for the upper right corner to get to the Control Panel. I hope Apple comes up with an alternative method eventually, since it could be added easily in an iOS update.

Honorable Mention for Favorite Feature goes to FaceID. It performs near flawlessly for me, such that it seems almost magical. I particularly find it beneficial when opening a locked app, where the scan begins as soon as I tap on the app icon and I'm let in immediately. I do find FaceID a bit more cumbersome when using ApplePay, but I think it will improve with time as I become more accustom to it and/or Apple smooths the process.

vhw

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2010
Norway
Favorite: Battery life, size, camera.

Least favorite: Face ID is not completely aligned with Touch ID feature-wise. For instance approval of family members purchase requests in the App Store and iTunes Store.

Diminish82

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
Most favorite: Screen by a long shot. Apple knocked it out of the park with this one.

Least favorite: tie between FaceID and the Camera. FaceID does not consistently work when I need it to. Coming from a Pixel 2 (that I returned due to screen issues) the camera on the X is hot garbage. Exposure and focus is so inconsistent, even after the latest updates.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Ever since rumors swirled around about this technology I was a little disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, it does work surprisingly well, but Touch ID was effortless and I never thought about unlocking my phone.

This!!
I love what FaceID offers. When it works, it works well. When it does not work, it requires you to think as to how better to re-position yourself to unlock your phone, or enter your password. TouchID on my 7+ was flawless. The times my hands were wet where my phone would not register my fingerprint was so rare its not even worth mentioning. FaceID can only get better and faster. So for me, in my opinion, FaceID is at least as fast as the first gen TouchID.

FaceID
Form facter
Camera
Gestures

Dislikes:
FaceID
Double tap to purchase apps
long press on apps in app switcher in order to swipe up to close
Swiping down from the right to invoke control center

Reactions: Jetcat3

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I haven’t got mine yet so I’m sure this will change when I get it on Monday.

Favourite: Design, camera
Least favourite: size (too small), price, no Touch ID

Now that I actually have my X

Favourite: Design, camera, display including True Tone, Face ID, guestures
Least favourite: price

Reactions: Jetcat3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.