Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
My favorite feature:
System file permissions are automatically protected, and updated during Software Updates. The Repair Permissions function is no longer necessary.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Can you please upload a picture of said status bar?
img.png

HungarianStan

macrumors member
May 23, 2015
Hungary
As I've finally watched the WWDC thingy today, my favorite feature has to be the Expose/Spaces thing as it relates to being able to have the split screen. That would seriously speed up certain kinds of work that I do (for example, weirdly, I've wanted something like this badly for a long time when comparing student papers so I can see if they're cheating together for take home tests). That's the thing I'm most excited about.

Also, the "Metal" thing sounds cool. I game a bit, so that'd be nice to have.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
As I've finally watched the WWDC thingy today, my favorite feature has to be the Expose/Spaces thing as it relates to being able to have the split screen. That would seriously speed up certain kinds of work that I do (for example, weirdly, I've wanted something like this badly for a long time when comparing student papers so I can see if they're cheating together for take home tests). That's the thing I'm most excited about.

Also, the "Metal" thing sounds cool. I game a bit, so that'd be nice to have.
I've been using Cinch app for split-screen multitasking for years now. I even find it easier to use than El Capitan's own feature.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Going from the keynote: Split View and Notes. I really liked the look of Notes but they desperately need tagging or the ability to file off different notes (did they have this? I didn't see it). Either way, the updates to Notes were really good. I use Evernote a lot but the slow creep of features I hate (Work Chat? No thanks) are making the UI annoying for me. I would much rather use a rich Notes editor, which is exactly what this update provides. It just needs some better organisation but the search updates look pretty damn good, too. Swings and roundabouts.

HungarianStan

macrumors member
May 23, 2015
Hungary
I've been using Cinch app for split-screen multitasking for years now. I even find it easier to use than El Capitan's own feature.

Didn't even know that existed. And now that I know...I guess it won't matter, with the stuff Apple's putting out soon! I really am excited about it.

P.S. - I forgot about the Notes thing. That looks good too. I use notes extensively, so it'd be nice to do the features they talked about, and have it easily sync between all my devices once again.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
How do you use the split screen thing? I tried and my window won't resize :/

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
How do you use the split screen thing? I tried and my window won't resize :/

You click and hold the GREEN traffic light button on the top left of a window, then select a side, then select the window you want on the other side.
It brings the split view into a different "fullscreen" desktop.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You click and hold the GREEN traffic light button on the top left of a window, then select a side, then select the window you want on the other side.

Sounds unintuitive. Is there actually any other kind of behaviour that is activated by a long button press? I can't think of one off the top of my head. Why not do it like all these third-party apps, Windows and some Linux desktop environments do by dragging the window into a corner or to the side? That's how lots of similar functions work in Finder.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Thanks, not sure I would have figured it out on my own lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.