Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Myself: James Obrien’s Mystery Hour.

There is a backlog of hundreds of shows, so plenty of content.

Basically, James is a radio host, on LBC (British talk radio) and every Thursday he runs the show, for an hour.

The premise is simple: People call in with questions (something that’s always puzzled them, for example) and then other listeners call in with the answer.

The only real rule is it has to be knowledge that you already know, so no Googling.

It’s basically a celebration of knowledge.

It’s really entertaining, and very addictive. I usually listen to it every night.

Can you recommend a good podcast for me to try?

Thanks in advance.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Smartless. Entertaining, engaging, and really funny. Interviews with interesting and celebrity guests. So easy to binge listen.

snash22

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2023
I like crime podcast, listen to a lot of dateline.
Lem and Crimley Exhume The Bodies. Lem and Crim are former FBI agents who researched the worst of the worst crime cases in the 80’s and 90’s. They explore the cases they worked, and the missing pieces and loose ends that haunt them.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for the recommendations.

How I Built This is also good.

It's interviews with company CEOs, focussing on how the company started and the journey they went on.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I tend to read/listen to limited series podcasts, that come in about 6-10 episodes.

Floodlines, about the New Orleans flood

Holy Week, by the same guy looks good, but I haven't really had the chance to listen/read it yet. It's about the aftermath of Martin Luther King assassination.

Bagman by Rachel Maddow, about Nixon's VP Spiro Agnew.

All There Is, by Anderson Cooper, about grieving loss of loved ones.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I tend to read/listen to limited series podcasts, that come in about 6-10 episodes.

Floodlines, about the New Orleans flood

Holy Week, by the same guy looks good, but I haven't really had the chance to listen/read it yet. It's about the aftermath of Martin Luther King assassination.

Bagman by Rachel Maddow, about Nixon's VP Spiro Agnew.

All There Is, by Anderson Cooper, about grieving loss of loved ones.
Thanks for the recommendations, buddy.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

Long form conversations. I listen mostly for the breadth of guests, skipping most of the comedians unless I know them. My favs tend to be medical or science related.

KaiFiMacFan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2023
Brooklyn, NY
I listen to a lot of podcasts, though some of them are quite niche and maybe aren't so easily "recommendable". One that I think would have a broad appeal and I've listened to for years is Radiolab. Used to be exclusively science-focused, now covers more topics, but always in an engaging way. The Rest is History is also a good general history podcast.

Behind the bastards

It's about bastard people from history.

I like that one, though the subject matter is often quite heavy. If you're not in the mood for it, it can be a lot.

Reactions: icanhazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.