Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What’s your most used web browser on your iPad Pro?

• Total voters

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
I’m starting to realize that the Safari browser is not too great, so I’ve downloaded Firefox and Chrome. I’m curious to hear about others’ experiences using alternate browsers on the iPad Pro. I mention iPad Pro because I imagine it can offer a much more powerful browsing experience than most other iPad models. Thanks for any tips, hints and ideas!

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
What exactly isn't so great about Safari for you? I ask because all other web browsers on iPadOS are required to use the same WebKit engine that Safari uses. For example, Chrome has to use WebKit rather than Chromium that you might be used to on the desktop version. Same with Firefox, it's using WebKit instead of Gecko. So if a site isn't working properly in Safari on the iPad, it likely isn't going to work in any of the other browsers either.

However, these other browser can provide other functionality. Chrome can sync your passwords and bookmarks to your Google account. Edge can sync your passwords and bookmarks to your Microsoft account. Some have built-in ad blocking. As far as Safari (or any other browser) on the base iPad vs. the iPad Pro...I think it's about the same. The Pro doesn't unlock any extra features.

For me...I use Safari for personal use, and Edge for work (to sync with my M365 account).

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and DuckDuckGo on my M1 12.9 and use only Safari now. It has good performance and I really want a browser with a visible Favorites bar. I use Edge on my laptop & desktop.

Reactions: bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
What exactly isn't so great about Safari for you? I ask because all other web browsers on iPadOS are required to use the same WebKit engine that Safari uses. For example, Chrome has to use WebKit rather than Chromium that you might be used to on the desktop version. Same with Firefox, it's using WebKit instead of Gecko. So if a site isn't working properly in Safari on the iPad, it likely isn't going to work in any of the other browsers either.

However, these other browser can provide other functionality. Chrome can sync your passwords and bookmarks to your Google account. Edge can sync your passwords and bookmarks to your Microsoft account. Some have built-in ad blocking. As far as Safari (or any other browser) on the base iPad vs. the iPad Pro...I think it's about the same. The Pro doesn't unlock any extra features.

For me...I use Safari for personal use, and Edge for work (to sync with my M365 account).
As far as I know, Safari on the iPad Pro shows real desktop web pages, just like on the Mac, while on the base iPads, it is still just a mobile browser like the iPhone. And Apple stymies FF and Chrome by making them use webkit. FF and Chrome are not the same on any iPad as it is on PC and Mac. I love Safari. It is the best browser available on the iPad Pro...for me.;)

Reactions: sparksd

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
As far as I know, Safari on the iPad Pro shows real desktop web pages, just like on the Mac, while on the base iPads, it is still just a mobile browser like the iPhone.
I could be wrong, but I think you might be confusing that with the iPad mini. The iPad mini loads sites in mobile view by default (due to the smaller screen), like the iPhones.

I have the iPad Pro (M1) and my parents have the base iPad (9th gen), and I never noticed any difference between them when browsing sites.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Safari for me. I’ll try Edge, Duck or Firefox every now and then just to check them out. The only one I’ve never used is Chrome. Google is the last company I’d want to have my browser info.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have Chrome installed on my IPP, but I rarely — if ever — use it. I’m mostly in Safari when browsing.

Portavoz

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
They are all skins of the same engine. Apple does not allow browsers on iOS or iPadOS to use anything other than Webkit (and they wonder why they are being sued for anti-competitive actions). Apple will claim it's for security reasons, the same reason they give for not allowing you to install any apps on your iPhone or iPad that they don't personally approve of. It's really about control and $$$.

rodalpho

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Yep, outside of the EU every browser is just a Safari skin. Also content blockers only work in real Safari, although other browsers can implement their own content blocking mechanisms and several have like Brave and iCab Mobile.

If you're looking for desktop-like customization definitely check out iCab Mobile. It's klunky and inelegant but it can do pretty much anything, so long as webkit can render it.

Portavoz

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
Yep, outside of the EU every browser is just a Safari skin. Also content blockers only work in real Safari, although other browsers can implement their own content blocking mechanisms and several have like Brave and iCab Mobile.

If you're looking for desktop-like customization definitely check out iCab Mobile. It's klunky and inelegant but it can do pretty much anything, so long as webkit can render it.
I have tried iCab and agree that as far as customizations go it is the best. Unfortunately it does not allow the one feature that I really need that no other iPadOS browser supports but that every desktop browser supports: the ability to "save linked filed AS....".

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
I use Safari 99% of the time but I also have Chrome and Firefox Focus installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.