Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjalex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
Been using Mac for around 5 years now as my sole work/home environment coming from a long Unix/Linux professional career. Almost never a Windows user if not a looooong time ago.

Most of the time I spend coding with my IDE (Visual Studio Code) in full screen and also usually the browser and perhaps Excel to look at data (both in full screen).

Routinely also have another desktop with a few command line shells to monitor the system, start servers or ssh to other machines and a mail window open on it.

So my main way of switching from app to app is simply to three finger swipe left or right to quickly get the desired full screen app or the desktop. From times to times I also three finger swipe up for mission control.

All of this on my Mini's external 4K native resolution screen.

So my automatic unconscious gesture is a three finger swipe and that's it :) Find it seamless and pretty accurate.

Don't usually use Spaces nor the new Ventura Stage Manager.

Should I change my mind? For what good reason?

Why is Apple building several different ways to achieve a similar result?

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
If you'd like to access an app using a keystroke or key combo I recommend Keyboard Maestro Editor.
It works seamlessly with Spaces and Stage Manager.

In order to get the most out of it I use my function keys as Standard Function Keys which can be chosen in Settings>Keyboard Shortcuts>Function Keys. I then use F1-F8 to launch, or bring to the front, my most used apps and files. For apps and files I use less often I create two-key combos.

Last edited:
Reactions: BotchQue and rjalex

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
My tried-and-true method is to look from one application on one monitor to another application on another monitor, start working furiously only to realize I haven’t changed the computers focus at all. Swear profusely and return to the original application to undue whatever damage I’ve caused.

At work we use a combination of windows, Linux and Unix, so alt-tab unless pointing by mouse is faster.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
My tried-and-true method is to look from one application on one monitor to another application on another monitor, start working furiously only to realize I haven’t changed the computers focus at all. Swear profusely and return to the original application to undue whatever damage I’ve caused.

At work we use a combination of windows, Linux and Unix, so alt-tab unless pointing by mouse is faster.
This is my approach exactly! And why I love having several monitors. My OCD won't allow me to have windows behind windows.

And for sure fail to change focus all the time!

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Cmd + tab remains the best for me. Even though some 5 (?) versions ago they removed the vastly superior part of it that left the row of apps visible, so I could just use the arrow keys. Now with this still “new” to me version, I have to keep holding CMD while visually finding the app I want. Nevertheless, it’s still my go-to method.

A secondary one that I am trying to like more, use more is 4 fingers swipe up, that kind of meets my need/want above to view all the apps without holding buttons down.

I appreciate the good idea/reminder to use 3-finger side swipe, I like that too, for some reason I often forget about it.

Reactions: rjalex and arkitect

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Strangely I use alt-tab on Windows but on the Mac I just use the dock at the bottom. Worth noting my Mac isn’t used for work

Reactions: rjalex

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Cmd + tab remains the best for me. Even though some 5 (?) versions ago they removed the vastly superior part of it that left the row of apps visible, so I could just use the arrow keys. Now with this still “new” to me version, I have to keep holding CMD while visually finding the app I want.
You can still use the arrow keys while holding the cmd key down. You can also just put your cursor over an app to go straight to it. Tap the Q key and the highlighted app quits. Type an H and it hides.

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Four finger swipe up to the spread out view of all windows (is that Exposé? I never remember what Apple calls half these things) then click on the window I want. I regularly have multiple windows from the same app open at once, so Command Tabbing never really gets me all the way to where I need to be.

Reactions: ndouglas

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I use multiple desktops (spaces, I guess) I assign applications to a specific desktop that is convenient to the way I am working (i.e. near each other). I usually swipe from one to the other, but it also works nicely to simply use the dock and click on the preferred application, or even open a document in an application as the desktop location is saved with the application. This also works nicely if you use the open at login in settings, as the applications open in their correct position. another cool trick if you want them to be on the same desktop for awhile is to drag them using the top and drag them over the top of the screen, this brings up the manager and lets you choose the location.

I am a simple guy, I like simple and efficient and this works for me

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
On my MacBook, I have Chrome in full-screen and it's right next to the main desktop, so it's easy to access. I have my school chrome profile (I like to keep browsing separate) minimized and when I need to access it, I'll just open it and I might or might not full-screen it, depends. I also have the dock hidden, which I would highly recommend especially if you're on a laptop. This only goes for the MacBook—my Mac Pro is different because I have a big monitor.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
You can still use the arrow keys while holding the cmd key down. You can also just put your cursor over and app to go straight to it. Tap the Q key and the highlighted app quits. Type an H and it hides.
Ahh that’s cool about Q and H when the row of apps is showing, thanks! So many semi-hidden features like this that I still am discovering…

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
The OP said:

Since my Atari days I haven't quite understood why there were SO many options to do the same thing (especially App Switchers, called "Program Launchers" in those days). I just Cmd-H (hide) a program when I'm done with it, then click on the next one in the Dock with a click (they don't have to relaunch if they're "hidden").
Towards the end of the day, I start fully Quitting programs, and still think that's a good idea once a day or so.

Here we are, complaining about options. 🤪

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I use an external keyboard and mouse, so no swiping for me.

Usually, I hit cmd-tab and then, in the displayed list, click on the program I want with my mouse. I use cmd-` to switch between windows of one program.

Reactions: rjalex

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
The OP said:

Since my Atari days I haven't quite understood why there were SO many options to do the same thing (especially App Switchers, called "Program Launchers" in those days). I just Cmd-H (hide) a program when I'm done with it, then click on the next one in the Dock with a click (they don't have to relaunch if they're "hidden").
Towards the end of the day, I start fully Quitting programs, and still think that's a good idea once a day or so.

Here we are, complaining about options. 🤪
Feel that

Nobody's complaining tho

Reactions: BotchQue and rjalex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.