Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aspyred

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
I have a iPhone 12 Pro and turn auto-brightness off. I typically set mine to about 33% (top of the sun icon) during the day.

In the evenings, I lower it to the bottom of the sun icon.

In bed, it’s either at the lowest level or I turn on the White Point Reduction setting (I have the shortcut set where 3 presses of the Sleep/Wake button activates this).

What about you?

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
I just stick to auto brightness. In most situations it adjusts fine for me. For the few times I need to adjust, I just bring up control center and adjust.

Reactions: Aspyred

Aspyred

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
I guess I’m in the minority - I’m super stingy with my screen brightness.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
On my retired 6s I set brightness manually to about 25%

On my 11 I use auto-brightness which is quite good

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I have auto-brightness off and brightness set to about 65%. It's been this way for a while now.

Aspyred

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
That is still way too white. :p You should try dark mode. It helps increase battery life and is easier on the eyes.
Forgot to mention! Yes, I use Dark Mode and try to ensure it’s set on pps that don’t automatically inherit that, like with Reddit.

Reddit, for example, has a dark mode but in the settings, you can enable an even darker mode if memory serves.

I try to save as much battery as possible. “Battery/range anxiety”, as they say with electric vehicles, is certainly a thing with me.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Ok, you’re right. I turned on dark mode and was able to lower the brightness to 35%. I think that I like it, but I‘ll have to get used to the dark mode. Although I may have to switch back for my course work and tests, depending.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Set to auto, sometimes at home I find even auto too bright, so I turn it down further. Daytime indoors is mostly 20-30%, nights 10-15%, outdoors mostly at max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.