Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
I recently upgraded to the M1 Max. During the initial set-up, it asked me to update to the latest MacOS, which I did. I was then able to proceed with restoring from a Time Machine backup. Ever since, the wallpaper upon starting up is blue. Isn’t the wallpaper supposed to be the MacOS version and not blue?

Curious what your wallpaper is when starting up.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Was the wallpaper you restored from blue? Sounds like it imported it.

In any case, you can choose whatever you want in system preferences.

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Are you talking about the Login screen or desktop?

macOS caches a smaller version of your wallpaper for the login screen. For example, I'm using the Monterey 'Graphic' wallpaper, which is 98MB, but in the Caches folder it's only 7MB.

If it's not switching over to the wallpaper you're using, just delete the image in the /Library/Caches/Desktop Pictures folder, and it will rebuild the cache.

If you're asking if macOS will switch to a new wallpaper after updating -- no, not necessarily. My dad has been using the same wallpaper since 2011 and it never changes after updates.

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
Are you talking about the Login screen or desktop?

macOS caches a smaller version of your wallpaper for the login screen. For example, I'm using the Monterey 'Graphic' wallpaper, which is 98MB, but in the Caches folder it's only 7MB.

If it's not switching over to the wallpaper you're using, just delete the image in the /Library/Caches/Desktop Pictures folder, and it will rebuild the cache.

If you're asking if macOS will switch to a new wallpaper after updating -- no, not necessarily. My dad has been using the same wallpaper since 2011 and it never changes after updates.
Yes, was referring to the login screen. I’ll try what you suggest and see if it works. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.