Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
So I have WhatsApp, and I was wondering, if I were to go abroad and get a local e-SIM for the duration of the trip... what happens to WhatsApp? If I switch to the other number, does WhatsApp just stop working until I switch back to the number it "knows"?

Anyone have any experience of this?

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
As long as you don't change the number in whatsapp, nothing will happen. Registered number in Whatsapp doesn’t change automatically

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
So I have WhatsApp, and I was wondering, if I were to go abroad and get a local e-SIM for the duration of the trip... what happens to WhatsApp? If I switch to the other number, does WhatsApp just stop working until I switch back to the number it "knows"?

Anyone have any experience of this?

When you put your new local esim in the phone and then launch WhatsApp, WhatsApp will ask you if you wanna keep using it with the old number or with the new number choose old number and your good to go.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Oh so even though your phone is connected to a new number you can still use WhatsApp with the other number?? Didn't know this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.