Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaming8080

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Hi guys,

I got a question: Say I have whatsapp on my iphone and have a contact called contact 'X' in my phonebook. Contact 'X also has whatsapp but doesn't have my phone number in his phonebook. Once I install whatsapp on my phone, contact 'X will show up on my list of favourites on whatsapp. Once he is added on my phone, am I added on his phone automatically?

Basically, my question is, if two people have whatsapp but only one person has the other persons number, what will happen? :confused:

Last edited:

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
The one that has someone's contact is the ONLY one that sees them from their end ....when both are on whatsapp

gaming8080

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
The one that has someone's contact is the ONLY one that sees them from their end ....when both are on whatsapp

Oh ok thx but lets say you send them a message, what would the senders name be? the phone number?

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
They will not even identify you until you tell them who you are and yes it's only the number that shows up at the other end.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
Welcome pal ;) and after one or two exchanges if you have avatars or profile photos they will appear on either end when you do a refresh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.