Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sohogeorge

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 26, 2024
Hello MacRumours community,

It’s been over a year since WhatsApp released its beta for an iPad-native app, yet we’re still without a proper release. Meta continues to assure us it’s “in the pipeline,” but the wait goes on. For professionals and everyday users alike, this isn’t just an inconvenience; it’s a barrier to productivity and efficient communication.

I’ve reached my limit and am kicking off a 365-day campaign, using my humble position as a devoted user of both platforms. Starting today, I will email WhatsApp and Apple support daily for the next year, urging them to expedite the release. It’s a small gesture, but it’s the least I can do to push for a tool that’s crucial for managing both my businesses and personal life. I know you are going to say, use Slack or Discord, but the majority of my users and customers are WhatsApp users. I just simply do not understand why Meta or Apple are denying a native connection to the community.

There’s no clear technical obstacle here. It seems to be a case of Apple or Meta withholding a better user experience for reasons unknown to us. If you share this frustration, I encourage you to join me. Let’s make our voices heard and not just wait passively.

If you’re on board, please consider sending your own daily emails to the support teams at Apple and WhatsApp. Here are the contacts:

• WhatsApp Support: support@whatsapp.com
• Apple Support: contactus@apple.com

Your support could make all the difference. Perhaps together, we can end this unnecessary delay.

Let’s discuss. If you have insights, frustrations, or additional contacts to suggest, I’m all ears. Please as a community let’s get these Goliath's to press a button and connect the platforms, in the spirit of connectivity and community.

Cheers,

Sohogeorge

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 26, 2024
This is the first email I’ve sent to both parties (feel free to copy and paste useful points). I started a campaign to try and find out a reason why you will not allow a native iPad WhatsApp app, it’s my personal last resort before leaving one of the platforms. We currently use both solutions across our venues and staff, granted very small, 2 venues and 100 staff. However the lack of a native app is both painful, insecure and unnecessary, either iPad isn’t a serious computing platform or WhatsApp isn’t a universal communication platform, currently you are neither. I hope you can sort it out but in 365 days you’ll lose 100 customers (which I get is nothing for you Goliath’s) but I’ve been waiting several years and it’s just not worth being a loyal customer to you both if you fail to embrace the ideals you consistently reference in your pubic relations.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I won't be surprised that Meta is taking their own sweet time with this. I remember they updated WhatsApp for the iPhone 5 pretty quickly, but support for app extensions took like forever. And there's still no Instagram app, so in general, iPad support doesn't seem like a priority here.

Sohogeorge

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 26, 2024
I would argue it is Apple’s problem if it wants to progress the iPad from a sideshow to a useful standalone device for the 2 Billion WhatsApp users that are currently using WhatsApp to communicate with each other. For your info: As of 2023, WhatsApp is the most popular mobile messenger app worldwide with approximately two billion monthly active users, outranking WeChat at 1.3 billion users, and Facebook Messenger at 930 million global users. Apple can incentivise if they want to (as they do with Google and Disney).

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I just simply do not understand why Meta or Apple are denying a native connection to the community.

There’s no clear technical obstacle here. It seems to be a case of Apple or Meta withholding a better user experience for reasons unknown to us.
The reason is pretty obvious. "Ask not to track" hit Meta pretty hard and they want to favor platforms where they can track like Windows, MacOS and Android.

Personally I use whatsapp for work and I replaced my iPad pro with a surface go 2 for one of my businesses mainly because of lack of whatsapp.
I guess people in the US can't understand, but in other countries, including most European countries, professionals use Whatsapp with their clients, not email, not sms, not imessage not whatever. And when you have dozens of clients to communicate with everyday, you cannot do it on your phone (maybe some can, I can't)

If Whatsapp comes to the iPad I'll probably switch back from Windows (Android is a not starter because of some issue with Word for Android, which I also need, which works well on iPad and Windows)

Reactions: TechnoMonk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The reason is pretty obvious. "Ask not to track" hit Meta pretty hard and they want to favor platforms where they can track like Windows, MacOS and Android.
I don't think that's the reason... because WhatsApp exist on the iPhone.

Personally I use whatsapp for work and I replaced my iPad pro with a surface go 2 for one of my businesses mainly because of lack of whatsapp.
I guess people in the US can't understand, but in other countries, including most European countries, professionals use Whatsapp with their clients, not email, not sms, not imessage not whatever. And when you have dozens of clients to communicate with everyday, you cannot do it on your phone (maybe some can, I can't)
But I think Meta views WhatsApp strictly a mobile app similar to that of Instagram... but what I can't comprehend is why Meta don't enable the iPhone version of WhatsApp on the iPad.

I think if they were to do that, it would at least be somewhat better...

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I don't think that's the reason... because WhatsApp exist on the iPhone.

But I think Meta views WhatsApp strictly a mobile app similar to that of Instagram... but what I can't comprehend is why Meta don't enable the iPhone version of WhatsApp on the iPad.

I think if they were to do that, it would at least be somewhat better...
No, the iPhone version existed well before Ask not to track. By not letting iPad users have a dedicated app, or even a phone app, they are basically pushing people to use a Mac for that, or a Windows or Android tablet, where they can track.
And no, they don't view it as a stricly mobile app. The Android tablet app is a full tablet app, like the Windows one, not a phone app.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
No, the iPhone version existed well before Ask not to track. By not letting iPad users have a dedicated app, or even a phone app, they are basically pushing people to use a Mac for that, or a Windows or Android tablet, where they can track.
And no, they don't view it as a stricly mobile app. The Android tablet app is a full tablet app, like the Windows one, not a phone app.
Yeah, you are right... WhatsApp is not strictly a mobile app.

But I don't know. I just don't buy the "ask not to track" being the reason a dedicated iPad don't exist and as you stated the iPhone version existed before Apple implemented the rule... so did the iPad.

Edit. I'm not trying to indicate WhatsApp had a version of the app for the iPad more so the rule didn't exist and the iPad didn't have a version.

Last edited:

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022

Don't those apps still need to link to the one that's installed on a phone?

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
WhatsApp has billions of users but hardly any revenue, by most estimates less than 1% of Meta’s revenue. All of the revenue it does generate comes from WhatsApp for business. Essentially the base consumer app is probably a net negative for them after expenses (development plus server operations). So there’s zero motivation to make an iPad app.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Why should apple care or be involved in what’s app for iPad? If Meta wants to release, let them. WhatsApp is a spam magnet, had to delete it from my phone.

Riovfo

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024
WhatsApp has billions of users but hardly any revenue, by most estimates less than 1% of Meta’s revenue. All of the revenue it does generate comes from WhatsApp for business. Essentially the base consumer app is probably a net negative for them after expenses (development plus server operations). So there’s zero motivation to make an iPad app.
But they already made an iPad app. They just have to release the beta for the public.
For apple, well I don’t see where they can extort 20% or whatever revenue, so they probably don’t care.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Sohogeorge

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 26, 2024
Glad there’s been some discussion and reasonable commercial arguments explaining why a native WhatsApp iPad app might be unlikely. However, I was just hoping that this issue could be seen to transcend mere commercial considerations. It’s somewhat contrary to both Apple’s and Meta’s publicly stated values, suggesting that decisions are skewed towards shareholder interests over genuine user needs.

Apple champions values like Accessibility, stating that “Technology is most powerful when everyone can make their mark.” By appearing to not encourage or support the deployment of a WhatsApp app for iPad, it seems they are contradicting their own pledge to make technology accessible and universally useful.

Similarly, Meta’s mission includes “connecting the world,” a goal that is hardly served by denying iPad users a native WhatsApp experience. It’s puzzling why these companies would withhold such a crucial tool for connectivity when it aligns so closely with their stated missions.

I’m sure it’s purely a commercial reason :) but it would be nice if companies could be accountable to the principles they claim to stand for. With the hope that one day iPad OS to actually be a contender for the casual computer user, an entry level device for communication and for SMEs that have employees in physical bricks and mortar companies and locations that are increasingly relying on WhatsApp. (Not just SMEs but all the way to the top offices of the UK Government). Whether you like the WhatsApp platform or not its popularity is tough to beat in some territories where the iPad is currently the number one tablet.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Glad there’s been some discussion and reasonable commercial arguments explaining why a native WhatsApp iPad app might be unlikely. However, I was just hoping that this issue could be seen to transcend mere commercial considerations. It’s somewhat contrary to both Apple’s and Meta’s publicly stated values, suggesting that decisions are skewed towards shareholder interests over genuine user needs.

Apple champions values like Accessibility, stating that “Technology is most powerful when everyone can make their mark.” By appearing to not encourage or support the deployment of a WhatsApp app for iPad, it seems they are contradicting their own pledge to make technology accessible and universally useful.

Similarly, Meta’s mission includes “connecting the world,” a goal that is hardly served by denying iPad users a native WhatsApp experience. It’s puzzling why these companies would withhold such a crucial tool for connectivity when it aligns so closely with their stated missions.

I’m sure it’s purely a commercial reason :) but it would be nice if companies could be accountable to the principles they claim to stand for. With the hope that one day iPad OS to actually be a contender for the casual computer user, an entry level device for communication and for SMEs that have employees in physical bricks and mortar companies and locations that are increasingly relying on WhatsApp. (Not just SMEs but all the way to the top offices of the UK Government). Whether you like the WhatsApp platform or not its popularity is tough to beat in some territories where the iPad is currently the number one tablet.

Make no mistake, profits transcend mission for these companies. They are anything but altruistic.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Don't those apps still need to link to the one that's installed on a phone?
Yes and you are limited to 4 devices, including additional phones. Which I guess it's fine for most people, but quite limiting for someone like me having tons of devices....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.