Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Just let the lawmakers know we can now see the messages between him and his mistresses.
Bill will be killed instantly.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
So if WhatApp can be side loaded according to yesterday's news on alt app stores, this could be a way, no?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The difference between Apple's failed approach and what I understand about the UK's approach is that Apple wanted to scan imagines stored, but not necessarily transmitted in iCloud. The UK wants to scan images *sent* through one of these apps. Is that correct?

As long as the system only looks for images of kids that are transmitted and doesn't proactively scan for data stored on my phone or cloud accounts then I think I will break from the consensus and say this is reasonable.

These messaging platforms have become a perfect method for pretty horrible child abuse. It's one thing to stand up on a soapbox but how would you feel if you found out your own child was abused in this way and now they would never be the same happy kid they once were? I bet you'd be furious and devastated.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Yeah yall let that ship sail a long time ago. Not going to happen. They'll implement it and then you'll go to jail for taking pics of your kids doing kid things.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Having worked for on of the UK's largest mobile operators in a technical capacity, you'd be horrified if you knew exactly what we had to give the Government access to & what they did with the data/logs etc. And more importantly how they accessed the data willy nilly. Data meaning calls/SMS/email and everything that passed through the network.

I worked for a major UK ISP and was shown things I can't discuss, but let's just say it was something similar and this was several years ago. Dread to think what they do now.

Still personally I don't care and it is a big battle with these Wattsapp etc systems encrypting data, because criminals use them, fact. I don't have anything to hide though.

UKs so soft on crime these days though it's plain ludicrous. So even if they catch the criminals the sentences are pathetically weak.

Reactions: Steve121178

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The difference between Apple's failed approach and what I understand about the UK's approach is that Apple wanted to scan imagines stored, but not necessarily transmitted in iCloud. The UK wants to scan images *sent* through one of these apps. Is that correct?

As long as the system only looks for images of kids that are transmitted and doesn't proactively scan for data stored on my phone or cloud accounts then I think I will break from the consensus and say this is reasonable.

These messaging platforms have become a perfect method for pretty horrible child abuse. It's one thing to stand up on a soapbox but how would you feel if you found out your own child was abused in this way and now they would never be the same happy kid they once were? I bet you'd be furious and devastated.
I've had this discussion before as the rights to privacy has been brought up in this forum many times before and you would be horrified to learn that some members put their right to privacy as 'absolute', even if it comes at the expense of child safety so from someone who has gone through this discussion before, do not go there because you will learn, people just do not care.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
This is all happening while the EU is forcing side loading on Apple. So let’s connect the dots.

Johnny the terrorist will simply make a TerrorChat app and all his friends will sideload it onto their phones. It will have custom encryption and they will go completely off the radar.

Meanwhile all law abiding citizens will be under a microscope and think it’s for the children and yay I have emulators on my phone!

In reality this will make bad guys win and good guys lose even more.
The reality is, sideloading has been about since the dawn of Android, so it's nothing new, so I only partially agree with your comments.

Apple is only being forced to play fair, so terrorists can be a little more fashionable about their phone choices. ;)

enterthemerdaverse

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2022
Warsaw
All the biggest crimes in UK start at the top with the Tories.

Tory politicians are the only people who should have no privacy.

They took dirty money from the Russian oligarchs for so many years.

Then they started to take laundered dirty money from crypto people and bitfinex/tether.

Then they started taking dirty money from the Singapore mafia in exchange for selling UK assets to the cartels.

These crooks want no encryption for UK citizens but full privacy for themselves.

Like this they can silence the citizens and continue their crimes.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Nah, it will fall on deaf ears. With one of the largest surveillance camera system of 7,371,903 CCTV cameras (1 camera for 11 people) the UK government clearly enjoys monitoring it's own citizens.
Jesus wept, I dunno where people get this crap from.
So those seven million cameras are all state sponsored are they?

Reactions: brucemr

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Having worked for on of the UK's largest mobile operators in a technical capacity, you'd be horrified if you knew exactly what we had to give the Government access to & what they did with the data/logs etc. And more importantly how they accessed the data willy nilly. Data meaning calls/SMS/email and everything that passed through the network.
So please tell us.

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
This is all happening while the EU is forcing side loading on Apple. So let’s connect the dots.

Johnny the terrorist will simply make a TerrorChat app and all his friends will sideload it onto their phones. It will have custom encryption and they will go completely off the radar.

Meanwhile all law abiding citizens will be under a microscope and think it’s for the children and yay I have emulators on my phone!

I dunno if this makes sense…there are already end to end encrypted ways to chat so what would side loading meaningfully change for an already existing and difficult to catch band of terrorists or child abusers?

For my law abiding self I may finally get a gameboy emulator for my iPhone 😌

Reactions: gusmula

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
All the biggest crimes in UK start at the top with the Tories.

Tory politicians are the only people who should have no privacy.

They took dirty money from the Russian oligarchs for so many years.

Then they started to take laundered dirty money from crypto people and bitfinex/tether.

Then they started taking dirty money from the Singapore mafia in exchange for selling UK assets to the cartels.

These crooks want no encryption for UK citizens but full privacy for themselves.

Like this they can silence the citizens and continue their crimes.
All of parliament is corrupt to its core. Labour is just as bad. And now look at the SNP. They are all filthy.

But since when have we ever had a “clean” government. Power and money corrupts.

enterthemerdaverse

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2022
Warsaw
All of parliament is corrupt to its core. Labour is just as bad. And now look at the SNP. They are all filthy.

But since when have we ever had a “clean” government. Power and money corrupts.

Nothing is bad as the Tories. They are the most elitist racist pond scum in Europe. Free movement and free trade for their rich friends but not for the citizens.

Blair was just a Tory wearing a Labour tie.

tranceme

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
California, US
So, does this matter if they push Apple to allows side loading anyway? I mean, this hurts legit companies with apps. But, then if you can sideload, those people they are trying to catch/monitor will just use a side loaded app that encrypts anyway. Won't matter with Apple or What's App does. Basically, they will only monitor the people not trying to hide.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Yeah. It's interesting who they've tried to protect isn't it...
The idea behind appointing corrupt people into power is having the ability to "pull the strings" and make them do what you want them to do.

The problem with this approach is(what we can clearly see now) that you end up with a generation of degenerate politicians who are not able to think and make real decisions in a very difficult times.

Reactions: gusmula

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
So please tell us.
All customers data transmitted through the network. Calls, SMS, emails, device ID's, internet data, geolocation data etc etc. Everything.

In order to access the data they technically had to apply through the court and a judge would need to sign it off, but they only did this occasionally for some access requests. There was literally nothing stopping them combing through the data at will.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013

Couldn't have said it better.

• Love
Reactions: Stromos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.