Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

WhatsApp is rolling out new Chat Filters to make it easier to find the messages you are looking for and reduce the need to scroll through your inbox.

whatsapp-chat-filters.jpg

The following three new filters appear at the top of the app's main conversation list: All, Unread, and Groups. In a blog post, WhatsApp describes them like so:
  • All: The default view of all your messages.
  • Unread: Perfect for when you want to see which conversations you need to catch up on or respond to. It shows messages that are either marked by you as unread or haven’t been opened yet, so you can prioritize your responses.
  • Groups: A highly requested feature, now all your group chats will be organized in one place, making it easier to find your favorite ones whether it's your weekly family dinner discussion or planning your next vacation. This will also show subgroups of Communities.
WhatsApp says the Chat Filters feature is rolling out now and will be available to everyone on both iOS and Android in the coming weeks.

According to WABetaInfo, WhatsApp is also developing a feature that lets users pin their favorite channels to the top of the Channels list in the Updates screen, similar to how you can pin chats in the chats list. Initially, users will be able to pin up to a maximum of three channels, but WhatsApp has also tested up to five. The feature remains limited to WhatsApp beta users for now.

Article Link: WhatsApp Rolls Out Chat Filters to Help Find Conversations Faster

Last edited:

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
The stupid thing is that iPad support was added to the betas last October, and the exact functionality needed is included in the Mac app (send/receive messages on a different device).

Is iPad support even still in the betas?

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Could this iPad app delay is on purpose since they can't track and monetize people's behavior outside of the house

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Have so far managed to resist being a WhatsApp user (difficult in the UK, as it's become expected everyone uses it/a default way for companies to offer support), but I'm surprised these are new features…

iMessage offers the seemingly equivalent 'All Messages' and 'Unread Messages' views already.

Reactions: Stevez67

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Not a fan of WhatsApp. Facebook has a "share with WhatsApp" button under every post, extremely annoying.

zilchfox

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Not only did Telegram have this feature already, but you can also make custom filters, too. Also, Telegram supports iPad, and has also announced that they’re working on a version for Apple Vision Pro. I have no idea why people continue to use WhatsApp when it only supports iPhone, lacks so many features, etc., when better alternatives exist.

mcilwraith

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2016
Glasgow
Not only did Telegram have this feature already, but you can also make custom filters, too. Also, Telegram supports iPad, and has also announced that they’re working on a version for Apple Vision Pro. I have no idea why people continue to use WhatsApp when it only supports iPhone, lacks so many features, etc., when better alternatives exist.
because almost no one uses telegram! almost everyone worldwide has WhatsApp!

Rhhk

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2023
Glad they’re focusing on these critical features and not trivialities like an iPad app.

Beatrix Kiddo

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2022
You don’t use Whatsapp because it is the best. You use it because people you know use it.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
While Apple probably couldn’t care less about popularity outside of the US, I wonder if iMessage would or could have become the global leader in messaging had it developed for Android.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Nice to see some useful features being added.
While Apple probably couldn’t care less about popularity outside of the US, I wonder if iMessage would or could have become the global leader in messaging had it developed for Android.
It's an interesting question, with the whole privacy / encryption they had going on it could have been quite successful. That said they were being leaned on and talked to by the US government in an unfriendly way at the time regarding access to their encrypted comms / data and almost certainly calculated if they did Android - they'd have a huge target on their back & wanted none of that.

Reactions: Stevez67

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Whenever I'm forced to use WhatsApp, it amazes me how far Telegram has come. It's like a whole new world!

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Could this iPad app delay is on purpose since they can't track and monetize people's behavior outside of the house
There's a Whatsapp app for iOS and Android, unless people don't use their iPhones or Android-based smartphones outside the house.

Do you mean there's no Whatsapp for iPad because they can't track and monetize people's behavior inside of the house? If that's the case, then why is there a Whatsapp app for the Mac and Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.