Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Come on people, you need to stop with these pathetic analogies because they are no way in relation to the issue being debated in here. Your just embarrassing yourselves.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Come on people, you need to stop with these pathetic analogies because they are no way in relation to the issue being debated in here. Your just embarrassing yourselves.
Look, it’s very simple: what you want is impossible to do without compromising everyone’s security in ways that have massive negative consequences. That’s it, that’s the ballgame.

Your solution is vastly worse than the problem and the only reason you think otherwise is you apparently dont understand, no matter how many folks in this thread have tried to explain it, how what you’re proposing is a huge problem. There are hard and fast technical reasons why you can’t square the circle on what you want.

That’s why people are resorting to analogies, you’re not getting it without them (and apparently not with them either).

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Come on people, you need to stop with these pathetic analogies because they are no way in relation to the issue being debated in here. You’re just embarrassing yourselves.
Sigh, how do you think encryption works? Let’s see if I can do a good example.

Should the post office, DHL, fedex, UPS be forced to open up all your letters and packages you send or receive?

Unpack everything and repackage it after it’s controlled?

Any letter/package you send that is protected by a lock or key etc must be i lockable by the delivery services so they can control you don’t send or receive anything illegal?

How do you prevent bad actors, the company or people to exploit this to steal sensitive inform such as credit cards sent through mail, checks, expensive gifts?

Or you’re a journalist who sends sensitive information about an investigation of a government agency or politician?

Medical records sent through the mail or by DHL will be opened and investigated and by unknown persons. Etc etc.

All this because some people sends mean or unsolicited letters that kids might read because parents don’t care about their kids?

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
We had that in Poland between 1945 and 1990. Mail, phone calls, house surveillance.

It was called communism 😏
Communism by itself really had nothing to do with it.

Government over-reach happens in plenty of non-communist countries too. Iraq, Iran, China .... USA. Any ideology can be used by a state to justify it.

cgs1xx

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2018
London, UK
Cathcart comes across as somewhat of a naive idiot, comparing Iran to the UK? so ignorant… he makes it sound as if the UK Prime Minister is sitting in his bed reading chat transcripts all night long..

Having said that, I don’t understand why any user thinks an app that must scan all your contacts before it can start to work is ”private”… mind boggling.

cgs1xx

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2018
London, UK
i still don’t understand why anyone uses whatsapp.. you have iMessage, SMS, email as well as all the other instant messaging features in instagram etc 🤷🏻

• Haha
Reactions: strongy

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Cathcart comes across as somewhat of a naive idiot, comparing Iran to the UK? so ignorant… he makes it sound as if the UK Prime Minister is sitting in his bed reading chat transcripts all night long..

The PM? No. The algorithms and surveillance folks who manage them? Absolutely.

Having said that, I don’t understand why any user thinks an app that must scan all your contacts before it can start to work is ”private”… mind boggling.
A communications app is kinda useless without people to communicate with… you dont have to let it scan your contacts you know, though all it’s doing is using that as a way of populating who’s available to talk to that you know

Last edited:

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
i still don’t understand why anyone uses whatsapp.. you have iMessage, SMS, email as well as all the other instant messaging features in instagram etc 🤷🏻
SMS is insecure crap, iMessage outside the US isnt available to most folks since globally iPhones arent dominant the way they are in the US and more people have split platforms in their family (if Apple had opened iMessage like they originally announces maybe that would have been different, but that’s water under the bridge), and, even leaving security aside, whatsapp is a much better messaging than than *instagram* lol.

Email isnt a replacement for messaging either. You’re really reaching here to try and find a reason to diss whatsapp use…

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Because it's a common platform that people can use no matter what OS their phone uses. iMessage would be great if everyone was on iPhones but if you have a group where just one person has an Android then it just falls down a bit. Plus iMessage groups are just handled in a much more clunky way than on Whatsapp.

SMS - same issue really, plus here in the UK you get charged to send photos over SMS.

Email - just no lol.

Seems Whatsapp is deeply entrenched in the UK now, to the point where the BBC now encourages viewers to use it to get in contact.

Reactions: seek3r

jamcgahey

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
Maine
It is totally irresponsible of social media companies who provide end to end encryption on their messaging platforms to allow criminal activity to be active on their platforms and say there is not much they can do about it because they would have to weaken their encryption to monitor if criminal activity is taking place on their platform and then to throw their toys out the pram when authorities come knocking on their door telling them they have to get their act together or else.
I understand your concern, however, do you not see the slippery slope in this? If we draw a line on when government or tech companies should be monitoring our conversations that line will continue to grow. It is incredibly unfortunate that illegal activity is occurring on the app, but consenting to monitoring is essentially opening Pandora's box. It's the same argument people make when it comes to banning books or blocking certain types of speech. Once you allow any of this to happen it will just continue and the line will get fuzzier until before you know it you're basically living in a communist society.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I didn’t see Apple threatening to pull out of UK over the governmental overreach, dictating what should and should not be on Apple’s platform.

Did you miss all that news?
Apple has a lot more products than meta or a single messaging app. The UK and US have attempted to force Apple to give them a back door to iMessage for several years now. With cases being fought in several states over this time. So, yes Apple did set the stage for this resistance. They haven’t had to threaten, but have quietly not supported some services in different countries because it didn’t make sense.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Just think how much worse the crime levels would be if the UK did not have all of that. If people in the UK behaved the way they should do (schooling and parenting never taught children to behave the way they do now and when they become adults) then the government would not need all this oversight and surveillance. The UK used to have high standards in society, how you spoke to people, how you behaved towards others and that has slowly eroded away as the country has become more multicultural. Even just today I read an article about a football player and their behavior on the pitch and it was noted that in his home country such behavior is the norm and thus accepted but here in the UK it is not and thus it's a 'cultural' difference as the article reporter put it. But that is for a different debate at a different time.
Are you saying the UK is better off enacting laws that the US Constitution would make illegal, such as double jeopardy? detnetion without cause? Search without cause? Curtailment of freedom of assembly and speech? I love the UK - the country has much going for it - but the lack of a written Constitution or Bill of Rights makes any move that onvades privacy or constrains freedom, like banning E2E, deeply worrying. Authoritarianism is a slippery slope. The more power is concentrated the more corrupt it becomes.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
End to end encryption is all very well and good, but when senders need to know each other's telephone numbers to communicate in the first place, security and privacy are already flying out the window. Ditto apps like Signal.

WhatsApp also has access to your camera roll and contacts, which are not encrypted (to the app), right?

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
WhatsApp also has access to your camera roll and contacts, which are not encrypted (to the app), right?
It has assessed to your contact list when asked for it. As 100% of everything. You can always deny it.

And it has access to your pictures when you open it up, not at all times or you can deny it. This isn’t android

Reactions: strongy

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I'm sure this is a bit of grand standing, rebuilt part of their reputation, give people the false sense of security, and then come to an agreement to comply. They aren't the first, and won't be the last. In the meantime many people been fooled that it is now the secure platform and meta has no access to your data ever.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Sigh, how do you think encryption works? Let’s see if I can do a good example.

Should the post office, DHL, fedex, UPS be forced to open up all your letters and packages you send or receive?

Unpack everything and repackage it after it’s controlled?

Any letter/package you send that is protected by a lock or key etc must be i lockable by the delivery services so they can control you don’t send or receive anything illegal?

How do you prevent bad actors, the company or people to exploit this to steal sensitive inform such as credit cards sent through mail, checks, expensive gifts?

Or you’re a journalist who sends sensitive information about an investigation of a government agency or politician?

Medical records sent through the mail or by DHL will be opened and investigated and by unknown persons. Etc etc.

All this because some people sends mean or unsolicited letters that kids might read because parents don’t care about their kids?
Actually the capability for all of the above exists today and has been applied for decades ;)

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Do they think it’s still 1995 or something? Ugh

No, these people do not see much difference in the UI of an email app or message app. It is a compulsive urge to get a comment out. Usually I leave those messages in the inbox for 12 to 24 hours and the collect them all in one reply. And it isn't even an age thing too - one was barely 40. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.