Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ianfann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
So for now what does the Apple watch display if a whatsapp text comes in your phone? Sorry, still waiting for my watch to come...

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
iP6 screen support was about 3-4 months late. iOS8 sharesheet support only came last week. I wouldn't get your hopes up! However they have an decent Androis Wear app.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
whatsapp is urgently needed!

I can handle imessages like a breeze on the watch, with dictation working super well, but whatsapp forces me to get out the phone every time. very annoying

ianfann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
I played around with my wife's AW last night and noticed the incoming whatsapp messages in a foreign language i.e mandarin shows up jibberish... Whatsapp! Pls pls fix this before my watch arrives thanks!

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
I played around with my wife's AW last night and noticed the incoming whatsapp messages in a foreign language i.e mandarin shows up jibberish... Whatsapp! Pls pls fix this before my watch arrives thanks!

That's if you can get notifications to come up on third-party apps, unlike me!

Would like to see an app for Telegram too.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
After boasting 800M active users preceded by an acquisition by Facebook to the tune of $19B, you'd think they'd have developer resources on staff to update their app for Apple Watch capability.

But having just read what I wrote... Facebook doesn't have an update for the Apple Watch app either.

Makes sense now.

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
+1 for Telegram. Love that app for messaging

They already said it will be released soon. Can't wait.

Whatsapp is the worst... but unfortunately you have to use it for organisation/planning/staying in contact etc. because EVERYBODY has it =/

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
I like Whatsapp, but I prefer Telegram as it allows you to carry on the conversation on the iPad.

SunshineFires

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
Have you read that somewhere?
rb0eg8.png

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
I am surprised that whatsapp is not yet available on the apple watch... I use it more than iMessage.

DerMario

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Whatsapp is absolute garbage. The userbase is the only reason for this app. Technically other apps are ways beyond

Love telegram , too

MokSiFu

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Down Under
Whatsapp is quite slow to update. I don't think iPhone users have the web version support that Android users get let alone an Apple Watch app being made. :(

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
Whatsapp is quite slow to update. I don't think iPhone users have the web version support that Android users get let alone an Apple Watch app being made. :(

I doubt we'll ever get a Web App. Clash of two security models (and iOS's drive for fast app and long lasting batteries) .

I believe:

WhatsApp is super secure and all messaging needs to go from the device.

iOS is super secure and doesn't allow background processes, so cannot act as a proxy for the web client.

ianfann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
I am boycotting whatsapp. Getting my friends to switch to Telegram Messenger lol

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I doubt we'll ever get a Web App. Clash of two security models (and iOS's drive for fast app and long lasting batteries) .

I believe:

WhatsApp is super secure and all messaging needs to go from the device.

iOS is super secure and doesn't allow background processes, so cannot act as a proxy for the web client.

How is it that Telegram can manage tablet and desktop apps and a web app that all work seamlessly, while Whatsapp is still stuck with a phone app and a web app that is an awkward workaround?

Does this mean that the design of whatsapp was flawed right from the very start? Did the designers cut corners when rushing out the app just to be first and build that user base, at the expense of long-term viability?

I too am boycotting whatsapp and am in the slow process of slowly converting my friends and colleagues to telegram. This app is awesome. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.