Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
For laughs, I updated my super old iPhone 6S to the iOS 14.4 and it works amazingly well. Also tried a few games on it, it handles all the games thrown at it.

And Touch ID works amazing, it is basically just as fast as Face ID, since with Face ID, you have to swipe up to unlock your phone.

Honestly, this iPhone 6S Plus is good enough for everyday use in terms of performance.

I remember the old days when you had to buy a new iPhone and iPad every few years, because all those iOS updates made your iPhone’s and iPads slow as hell. Not anymore.

So many thanks to the government to stop Apple crippling our iPhone’s.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yep. 5 years and still going strong. Unlike the dark days of iOS 10 and below. Crossing fingers those shenanigans are behind us

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I'm still using the 6s+ . Last year I bought the 11 and I returned, I hated Face ID.
~as you said, for everyday use is fine, just the battery doesn't last all day even if I replaced it last year.
I could do with a better camera. Hoping to get the 13 this year providing it comes with Touch ID

Reactions: Hoff

ZeChild

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Glasgow, UK
Crippling, this always gives me a laugh, the softwares just outpacing the hardware, I'd love an old MacBook Pro I had from 2011 to update to Big Sur (loved OG MagSafe) but that's madness it'd C&%P the bed, admittedly the last update to the iPhone 6 wasn't great and in my opinion shouldn't have been released, but expecting old tech to hold up to software now is just mad!

Wonder how many complaints there is out there about aged android devices updating to the latest software!

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I'm still using the 6s+ . Last year I bought the 11 and I returned, I hated Face ID.
~as you said, for everyday use is fine, just the battery doesn't last all day even if I replaced it last year.
I could do with a better camera. Hoping to get the 13 this year providing it comes with Touch ID
I use a 6s on an extra line I have and it is a beast. Performs very well.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Crippling, this always gives me a laugh, the softwares just outpacing the hardware.

Yep. We just saw major performance improvements to ARM/Apple Silicon within a short time span.

The chart below is based on GB4 scores.

1613985179420.png

The A9-based iPad 5th gen is ~8x the speed of the A5X-based iPad 3rd gen. Meanwhile, A9 to A13 is just ~2.4x and even A9 to A14 is just ~3x single-core.

Also, the A8X (iPad Air 2) is around desktop Core 2 Duo level (x86 circa 2008) while the A9 is around desktop i3 Sandy/Ivy Bridge (x86 circa 2011-12). Given we have Ivy Bridge systems in the office running full Windows 10 installs quite adequately with 8-16GB RAM and SSD upgrade, it seems only natural that the A9 has also held up pretty well.

Wonder how many complaints there is out there about aged android devices updating to the latest software!

First, you'd need to be able to install the latest software on the aged Android device. It seems to me even flagships get fewer firmware updates compared to iPhones.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The government had nothing to do with it. What likely happened is that this showed that people are hanging on to their phones longer. So Apple pivoted from selling iPhones to selling to people with iPhones.

You don’t need people to keep buying iPhones; you just need people to keep using them. Hence, Apple puts in more effort into supporting their phones for longer these days.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
For laughs, I updated my super old iPhone 6S to the iOS 14.4 and it works amazingly well. Also tried a few games on it, it handles all the games thrown at it.

And Touch ID works amazing, it is basically just as fast as Face ID, since with Face ID, you have to swipe up to unlock your phone.

Honestly, this iPhone 6S Plus is good enough for everyday use in terms of performance.

I remember the old days when you had to buy a new iPhone and iPad every few years, because all those iOS updates made your iPhone’s and iPads slow as hell. Not anymore.

So you mean that when I had my iPhone 6s+ on iOS 9.0.2 from October 2015 to October 2020 it worked amazingly well? And that when I un-jailbroke it and updated it to iOS 14 in October 2020 it still functions amazingly well?

I mean I take it out in the mornings on my bike and stream YT music while riding. I guess that's amazing?

Who would have thought? Over 5 and a half years later and I'm still using this phone. I wonder why…

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Enjoy. You couldn't pay me to use Face ID.
I cant use Face ID period, as the scanners give me eye strain, so i have it turned off on my 12 Mini and just use PIN.

Back on topic, the 6s+ to this day is still a very sold performing phone being 6 years old. Ive got mine on the last version of IOS 12 and it is as snappy as my newer iphones (8+, SE2 and 12 mini). 3D touch was/is great to use, Touch ID, Headphone jack, and the 1080p 16:9 screen is a joy to view content on with no stupid notch getting in the way. I replaced the battery , and on IOS 12 it lasts for 2.5 days in between charge. Great phone.

Reactions: DanTSX

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
I cant use Face ID period, as the scanners give me eye strain,
Do you have any sciency links for that?

Spontaneously I've pretty much delegated that whole area to the same category as "a witch turned my milk sour" (not dismissing the eyestrain, just find that there are more likely causes in the display itself); so would be interesting to once and for all be proven wrong (or right). :)

Reactions: Barbareren

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Do you have any sciency links for that?

Spontaneously I've pretty much delegated that whole area to the same category as "a witch turned my milk sour" (not dismissing the eyestrain, just find that there are more likely causes in the display itself); so would be interesting to once and for all be proven wrong (or right). :)

Svanstrom, i dont need to provide any science links to anyone, i have done extensive tests on the OLED display and Face ID, and deduced that Face ID scanners give me eye strain. The OLED display is fine with me when set to 50% brightness and above, but when Face ID is active i get this pressure behind my eyes exactly when Face ID is scanning my face. When i turn Face ID off i get no issues whatsoever. Its fairly simple. I understand that im an in an extreme minority with Face ID.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009

I’m confused why you are crediting a governement for this as I’m not aware of any government intervention in these matters, but what you are probably experiencing is the effect of diminishing returns. As markets mature improvements between each product cycle get smaller and smaller meaning older products feel fresher for longer.

Other than a battery percentage you can see reducing before your eyes (I believe it’s the original battery) my Aunty’s iPhone 6S Plus is still a speedy and capable device.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Svanstrom, i dont need to provide any science links to anyone, i have done extensive tests on the OLED display and Face ID, and deduced that Face ID scanners give me eye strain. The OLED display is fine with me when set to 50% brightness and above, but when Face ID is active i get this pressure behind my eyes exactly when Face ID is scanning my face. When i turn Face ID off i get no issues whatsoever. Its fairly simple. I understand that im an in an extreme minority with Face ID.
Claiming something in a public forum, and then sort of just go "I don't have to prove anything" isn't really a nice thing to do (and can actually be a oneway trip into getting ignored by people); you could have just left that out and gone with what made you come to your conclusion.

Reactions: Barbareren

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Interesting how some need to build a reality around them to feel safe or learned. I guess?

Anyway, I remember my 6+ and 6s+ - I could definitely tell the slow down as time went on - (2 years each). I mean it didn't make it unusable but it was enough for me to want to upgrade, so I did. I don't think the Government had anything to do with this. Like others have stated, devices today are a LOT more powerful than they used to be. We're seeing this in the desktop OS world as well. Things are so fast that you can use them for awhile. Imo, of course.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Claiming something in a public forum, and then sort of just go "I don't have to prove anything" isn't really a nice thing to do (and can actually be a oneway trip into getting ignored by people); you could have just left that out and gone with what made you come to your conclusion.

I do apologise Svanstrom, i just meant that as i had deduced that the Face ID scanners were affecting ME, after conducting my tests, i had not made a blanket statement that Face ID scanners affect other people and also give them eye strain. If i had said it affects other people, then i would definitely have to provide sources to my claim. I hope you accept my apology and forgive me.

Reactions: ignatius345

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I do apologise Svanstrom, i just meant that as i had deduced that the Face ID scanners were affecting ME, after conducting my tests, i had not made a blanket statement that Face ID scanners affect other people and also give them eye strain. If i had said it affects other people, then i would definitely have to provide sources to my claim. I hope you accept my apology and forgive me.
Haha just clicked with me - your avatar :) <imagines the phone beam hitting your eyes like that>. lol very nice.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I’m confused why you are crediting a governement for this as I’m not aware of any government intervention in these matters, but what you are probably experiencing is the effect of diminishing returns. As markets mature improvements between each product cycle get smaller and smaller meaning older products feel fresher for longer.

Other than a battery percentage you can see reducing before your eyes (I believe it’s the original battery) my Aunty’s iPhone 6S Plus is still a speedy and capable device.

Apple was busted throttling older iPhone's in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.