Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I am buying a used X for taking pics/videos, texting and paying music while kayaking. Do I want locked or unlocked, and why? I have AT&T.

I read somewhere that carrier locked phones are set up to work better for that network, any truth to this?

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Personally, obviously unlocked, so you can easily switch carriers in the future if you need to (or if you want to travel). I don't see the benefit of buying a device that is locked into a single provider (no phones are carrier locked in my country) unless it's free.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
With AT&T I believe you can unlock any locked iPhone after 3 months of paying your bill. Provided that the phone was paid off.

An AT&T locked iPhone might be cheaper.

Reactions: TH55

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
With AT&T I believe you can unlock any locked iPhone after 3 months of paying your bill. Provided that the phone was paid off.

I read somewhere that carrier locked phones are set up to work better for that network, any truth to this?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Personally, obviously unlocked, so you can easily switch carriers in the future if you need to (or if you want to travel). I don't see the benefit of buying a device that is locked into a single provider (no phones are carrier locked in my country) unless it's free.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
There is no truth to this. All carrier lock does is lock the phone to a particular network, in your case AT&T. You cannot use that device on another network (for example Verizon) unless you get an unlock code from AT&T and unlock the device. AT&T will only do this when the phone is fully paid off.

Carriers do this to prevent people from getting trade in deals on new phones and then taking that new phone to another carrier and never paying the device off.

If I were buying a used phone, I would ensure it was unlocked so I have flexibility on what carrier I wanted to activate the device on. If you are sure you are never leaving AT&T, then an AT&T locked device would be fine.

Reactions: TH55

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
I always buy unlocked direct from Apple.

However, a family member needed a new phone so we bought a 12 Pro Max through US Cellular as they had a deal to make it free, and it's locked to them for 6 months. I don't foresee us leaving them for at least that long, so it's no biggie this time.

Still annoys me though.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Depends. Sometimes there are multiple versions of a model with different LTE bands and the carrier locked model has extra bands for that carrier.

For the iPhone 12, I think they're all the same model in the US.

I'm not sure about the iPhone X.

Reactions: macsound1

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
My iPhone 12 Pro Max was purchased as outright and sim free. I have no issues using it on Verizon or when I used it on T-Mobile for 3 days. All of the features worked as well as Visual voicemail. I like not being tied down to one carrier and is especially helpful as my family will be traveling to international countries for vacation starting next summer.

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
Eh it don’t matter. Got my 12 Pro through Verizon unlocked after 60 days. Passed it down and got 12 Pro Max directly from Apple unlocked. They work the same. What you have to watch out for is people selling phones unlocked BUT not paid off through a carrier. They can blacklist that phone despite being “unlocked”. Ask for proof of paid off phone before buying carrier wise.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

For brand new phones the phone would have to be paid off. Verizon you just need to wait 60 days even if financed.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Back in the day sure but phones these days Android and iPhones are built for all carriers in the region. There’s only one iPhone model for all 3 major carriers

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
There is no truth to this. All carrier lock does is lock the phone to a particular network, in your case AT&T. You cannot use that device on another network (for example Verizon) unless you get an unlock code from AT&T and unlock the device. AT&T will only do this when the phone is fully paid off.

Carriers do this to prevent people from getting trade in deals on new phones and then taking that new phone to another carrier and never paying the device off.

If I were buying a used phone, I would ensure it was unlocked so I have flexibility on what carrier I wanted to activate the device on. If you are sure you are never leaving AT&T, then an AT&T locked device would be fine.

I mean 5-6 years ago there was some truth but no longer

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Depends. Sometimes there are multiple versions of a model with different LTE bands and the carrier locked model has extra bands for that carrier.

For the iPhone 12, I think they're all the same model in the US.

I'm not sure about the iPhone X.

There is 2 models I believe for the X or did they stop that with the 7? I believe the X had 2 variants with sprint and Verizon having Intel modems and the others getting Qualcomm modems ?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
There is 2 models I believe for the X or did they stop that with the 7? I believe the X had 2 variants with sprint and Verizon having Intel modems and the others getting Qualcomm modems ?

CDMA (Sprint/Verizon) uses Qualcomm although as I mentioned, I'm not sure if that still applied to the 8/X. That might have been around the time Verizon was planning on starting to shut down their CDMA network and VoLTE and LTE coverage was already prevalent so CDMA fallback wasn't as necessary.

I know for the iPhone 7, Sprint/Verizon used Qualcomm and AT&T/T-Mobile used Intel. I believe that's actual the first model where they used Intel modem.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
CDMA (Sprint/Verizon) uses Qualcomm although as I mentioned, I'm not sure if that still applied to the 8/X.

I know for the iPhone 7, Sprint/Verizon used Qualcomm and AT&T/T-Mobile used Intel.

I knew it was something. I think the X had it the same way

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I always buy unlocked direct from Apple.

However, a family member needed a new phone so we bought a 12 Pro Max through US Cellular as they had a deal to make it free, and it's locked to them for 6 months. I don't foresee us leaving them for at least that long, so it's no biggie this time.

Still annoys me though.
Now thats a good deal

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
For iPhones generally not. Some years the model specific to a carrier may have an additional band. Or maybe a different modem. But for current phones, the US model is universal.

For Android phones, that is a whole other can of warms. ATT may only whitelist models with their firmware. Or some features may only work with their firmware, like Wi-Fi calling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.