Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleUser29912

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2022
I want to buy a new monitor and considering studio display, but it is pretty old, when can we expect a new model to be released?
Is there going to be something new this fall?

Reactions: Apple Country Guy

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
but it is pretty old
Not in Apple World it isn't. Think about how long the Intel Mac Pro was around without much of an update. Think about how "old" the XDR display is.

Any tech updates to the Studio Display would push the price significantly up. Mini-LED backlighting for a 27" desktop display? Very expensive. 120Hz? Doesn't exist (yet) for 5K displays and likely not easily supported by most Macs over Thunderbolt 3/4. Updated camera? Apple's using the same tech in current model iPads, so I doubt this will change.

The Apple Thunderbolt Display was sold, unchanged, from July 2011 to June 2016. The Studio Display has been out only since March 2022.

I do not expect an update to the Studio Display any time soon.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I don't think any refresh will happen until late 2024 at the earliest. As mentioned previously, Apple doesn't update its displays nearly as often as it does with iPhones or Macs. And 18 months is not old, I would rather argue that the display technology of the Studio Display was already outdated when it was released in 2022.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I think Apple probably will go even longer between updates with the Studio Display than they did with the previous Thunderbolt Display. Display technology, while improving steadily, is taking a back seat to other features. Apple has basically built a small iOS device into the Studio Display, allowing them to add features at the software level. I suspect the only updates we'll see in 5-8 years are software/feature related, with the possible change to the stand to make the height adjustable one the standard.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The horror! Almost 18 months! It's so obsolete!
I mean, I get the interest in a new model given those who find the camera insufficient and those who are used to higher refresh rates. But I think it'll be another year or two until 120Hz 5K is a thing.

We'll get a better sense of Apple's direction if/when the rumored iMac Pro comes out and what kind of a display it has.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Even if Apple do update it, I'm wondering what they would/could do. Maybe we'll just see a larger version of it, particularly if the rumours of a larger iMac are true, but I could see it existing in its current form for a while yet.

There's been persistent rumours of another model alongside it with a different screen technology, so again, I think it might just be one of those products that's here for a long time without any change.

Pointillism

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2007
The Real Bay Area, CA
I think Apple probably will go even longer between updates with the Studio Display than they did with the previous Thunderbolt Display. Display technology, while improving steadily, is taking a back seat to other features. Apple has basically built a small iOS device into the Studio Display, allowing them to add features at the software level. I suspect the only updates we'll see in 5-8 years are software/feature related, with the possible change to the stand to make the height adjustable one the standard.
Right, but since the Studio Display uses an A13 chip and runs a stripped-down version of iOS then isn't there a decent chance Apple stops supporting it right around the same time they stop releasing new iOS versions that work with the A13?

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Right, but since the Studio Display uses an A13 chip and runs a stripped-down version of iOS then isn't there a decent chance Apple stops supporting it right around the same time they stop releasing new iOS versions that work with the A13?
And/or when it no longer makes sense for them to produce the A13 SOC. It’s also still being used in the 9th gen iPad, which is probably relatively popular still as iPads go for the price point.

vc1212

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
As if all tech, if you need it now, then just get the best version you can afford. You can always sell it off when a new version comes.

I bit the bullet two weeks ago and was very pleased. The much-criticised camera was fine for the Zoom conference I had last night.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
You can’t really make that assumption in this case. Apple sold the A8 powered Apple TV HD until October 2022, and it’s still getting updates to tvOS 17 this fall. That’s an iPhone 6 era chip which Apple stopped updating with iOS 12. We are probably several years from a new Studio Display.

Reactions: HVDynamo and vc1212

Pointillism

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2007
The Real Bay Area, CA
You can’t really make that assumption in this case. Apple sold the A8 powered Apple TV HD until October 2022, and it’s still getting updates to tvOS 17 this fall. That’s an iPhone 6 era chip which Apple stopped updating with iOS 12. We are probably several years from a new Studio Display.
Oh interesting - I didn't realize that the old Apple TV HD will be getting tvOS 17 as well. Now that I know that, I suppose you're right in thinking that Apple will keep the original Studio Display around for quite a few years.

eas

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2005
And 18 months is not old, I would rather argue that the display technology of the Studio Display was already outdated when it was released in 2022.

Agree that 18 months is not old, not for a display, at least. Disagree about the technology being dated when it was released in 2022. What devices eclipse it's particular combination of specs (just the display, not the webcam or audio)? Sure, you can get higher refresh rates, but not in a ~220dpi display. Same goes for mini LED, etc.

I really wish it were obsoleted by a better display, because I have trouble with the price of the ASD given the limited adjustability and and the alternative 5K (and 4k, for that matter) displays have their own issues. I'll probably go with a 4K display since I don't think my eyes are really good enough that I'll miss the extra pixels at my typical viewing distance and I'm sick of my current arrangement (16" MBP on a stand in front of me and a 24" 16:10 94dpi display next to it. The $1K I save will go a long way to getting a better monitor in 3-5y.

Reactions: KingofGotham1

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Agree that 18 months is not old, not for a display, at least. Disagree about the technology being dated when it was released in 2022. What devices eclipse it's particular combination of specs (just the display, not the webcam or audio)? Sure, you can get higher refresh rates, but not in a ~220dpi display. Same goes for mini LED, etc.

I really wish it were obsoleted by a better display, because I have trouble with the price of the ASD given the limited adjustability and and the alternative 5K (and 4k, for that matter) displays have their own issues. I'll probably go with a 4K display since I don't think my eyes are really good enough that I'll miss the extra pixels at my typical viewing distance and I'm sick of my current arrangement (16" MBP on a stand in front of me and a 24" 16:10 94dpi display next to it. The $1K I save will go a long way to getting a better monitor in 3-5y.
I agree with you, I guess what I was trying to say is that the Studio Display is just a glorified LG Ultrafine 5K, which was released 7 years ago. Don't get me wrong, it's a very fine monitor and it's true that there are very limited alternatives with this level of pixel density. But I'm disappointed that we are still stuck with a 60hz LCD panel 7 years after the introduction of the first 5K Thunderbolt Display. I have an M1 MacBook Pro and using it with an external display just doesn't feel as good as using the laptop's screen. I guess it says more about the monitor market than Apple itself.

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Yeah I hear so much about how bad the Studio display is, its overpriced etc etc....but when I go to search for a 5k monitor i dont see much else in its class.

Like EAS mentioned above, i wish it were obsoleted by a better display, my wallet is ready for a 5K 120 hz monitor :)

AppleUser29912

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2022
Thanks everyone, I just ordered mine.

For the hub, what do you guys use? I want to be able to have one hub that I can connect work laptop and personal laptop to studio display (remove the cable when working between personal and work laptops).

will something like this work?

Also how can I connect my Macbook pro 2014 to Apple Studio Display? I should buy multiple adapters? there is no single USB C to Display Port adapter?

Last edited:

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
To connect to a 2014 MBP, you will need a thunderbolt 2 cable and Apple’s thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter. Make sure the MBP is running Monterey 12.3 or newer for an OS and you should be able to output a 4k signal to the studio display.

What ports are you looking to add with your hub?

Do you plan to connect the hub to one of the usb c ports on the display or between the display and laptop?

If you plan to run a cable from the laptop to the hub and then a cable from the hub to the display, you are going to need a thunderbolt 3 or 4 hub that has at least one thunderbolt 3 or 4 out port (not just a usb c port). While things should work in principle adding this extra layer between your 2014 Mac and the display could cause issues.

If you plan to connect the hub to one of the ports on the display, then just about any usb c hub that offers what you need should work.

AppleUser29912

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2022
Thanks, is there a way to use the existing cable that comes with it? I dont want to keep taking off the cable from back of the display to switch between laptops. So use some sort of adapter to connect the thunderbolt 3 to my old mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.