Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeMcCollister

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2021
Charlottesville, Virginia
On my iPhone 15 Pro, I have setup two automations, one to turn off the always on display when connected to power and one to turn on the always on display when not connect to power.

These work fine but is there is a way to combine those into one automation that will trigger on connect and disconnect from power. Inside that automation there would be a conditional that could check if it is connected to power and if so then turn off always on display and on when not connected to power. I can add a conditional, but I don't see where I can get that state. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Mike

scsyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
France
Hello Mike,
I don't think combining both is possible. For an automation to work, you need to associate it to a pre defined trigger. For power supply, there are only two options to my knowledge : when plugged or when unplugged. Therefore you can't trigger a shortcut on toggling between plugged and unplugged status.
Nevertheless, if you want to use the plugged / unplugged status in a shortcut, you'll need to use the instruction "get battery status" (it might not be the exact same wording, translated from French on my Phone). It returns either a number representing battery percentage or a boolean representing the plugged / unplugged status.
I hope this helps.
Cheers

Reactions: NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Can have one Automation as can have both connect and disconnect options selected.

But otherwise, as mentioned, the Get Battery Status Action is the way to go to determine status.

Attachments

• IMG_1528.jpeg
    IMG_1528.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1527.jpeg
    IMG_1527.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 31

scsyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
France
Oh I missed that both could be selected at the same time. Thanks for the information 😀

MikeMcCollister

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2021
Charlottesville, Virginia
Thank you both for the suggestion. I knew about both the connect and disconnect options selected. I did not know the "Is Connected to Charger" option. I now have one automation paired with one shortcut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.