Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrancyGoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
So a quick question here.
For instance, like with iOS 16, looks like iPhone 7, won't make it this time.
I wonder, will it still like get it's own updates? For example, like imessage editing come to it, or is it a strictly ios 16 feature that will stay with that os?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So a quick question here.
For instance, like with iOS 16, looks like iPhone 7, won't make it this time.
I wonder, will it still like get it's own updates? For example, like imessage editing come to it, or is it a strictly ios 16 feature that will stay with that os?
Generally, once Apple launches a new version of iOS, all those devices that cannot update to it are stuck. Other than security updates as mentioned (which I really have never seen, except for ultra rare updates like iOS 6.1.6) that's it.

Apple doesn't maintain device independent updates. That would be an even worse thing for them then continuing general updates. Their response to people who aren't happy about that will be "Update your device if you want the latest iOS".

It's just how it goes.

Reactions: TrancyGoose

Lerten

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
Generally, once Apple launches a new version of iOS, all those devices that cannot update to it are stuck. Other than security updates as mentioned (which I really have never seen, except for ultra rare updates like iOS 6.1.6) that's it.

Apple doesn't maintain device independent updates. That would be an even worse thing for them then continuing general updates. Their response to people who aren't happy about that will be "Update your device if you want the latest iOS".

It's just how it goes.
Used to be true, iOS did not get any updates past the cut off point, other than emergency updates (like the iOS 6 update you mentioned) but the iOS 12 got a bunch of maintenance updates which might mean a new approach to that model. But, as mentioned, no new features :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Used to be true, iOS did not get any updates past the cut off point, other than emergency updates (like the iOS 6 update you mentioned) but the iOS 12 got a bunch of maintenance updates which might mean a new approach to that model. But, as mentioned, no new features :)
I was on an iPhone 6s+ from September 2015 to May 2019. I was jailbroken on the second to last fully untethered jailbreak so that iPhone (which I still have and use BTW) was on iOS 9.0.1 until December 2020. I went from that phone to a Pixel 3a XL (and then back again to my 11 Pro Max).

So…all that to say that between iOS 10 and iOS 13 I'm quite a bit fuzzy as to what was going on. I had a couple of iPads that saw iOS 10-13 but I don't use those like I do my iPhone so, again, not really paying attention to updates.

News to me then that iOS 12 got a couple belated maintenance updates. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.