Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdrdsr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
** UPDATE ** The "sleep" under the apple menu works! Choosing it to put to sleep has no adverse impacts -- only the Power Saving and the Sleep Hot Corners disconnect my power and TB Display. ***

I have a 15" Macbook Pro Retina early 2013, 2.7, i7 with 16GM and 256 SSD. I have an external 27" Thunderbolt display purchased at same time. I have never had any issues then all of a sudden this started.

If i put the display to sleep, or it goes to sleep, the indicator on the MagSafe goes off -- no electric power is being used. Sometimes it comes back on when I wake the screen and sometimes not. When i put the built in display to sleep (using hot corner) it turns both displays off and the indicator goes off. This occurs for putting either screen to sleep.

This is occurring even with NOTHING else, not even ethernet, plugged into any ports on my laptop or thunderbolt display. This becomes problematic when I have my external FW drives plugged into the TB display as it seems to "eject" the external drives and I get the message about improper eject of drives. So, it seems to somehow, lose the electricity source and then I guess the battery is not enough to power TB Display and the connected drive to the TB display?

I have done all the PRAM and SMC resets. No luck.

This was never ever an issue before. Any ideas? Is it possible the all-in-on power/TB cables are bad?

Thanks in advance, for any help.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.