Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Although it’s almost pointless reading the reviews these days. Look at any from the past five years and they all say pretty much the same thing - “pricey, small improvement over last year but nonetheless the best iPhone to date - get the Max if you can handle the size (and the eye watering price tag!)”

Yes, but... ;)

Overall, that's been a pretty good overall summary for several of the last few years. But I find it interesting to read about specific changes, some of them in the apps (for example, this year I'll be interested in how the native camera app will work with the dual and triple lenses). And I'll be interested to see whether anyone has tried to get a little scientific with the changes in FaceID (and whether they are at all significant/useful).

If nothing else, they can be at least mildly diverting reading.

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
I'm curious to see how good "Cinematic Video Stabilization" is on these phones. I'm wondering if you can now shoot video without a need for gimbal a la GoPro Hero 7 Black. I hope the reviews look into this.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yes, but... ;)

Overall, that's been a pretty good overall summary for several of the last few years. But I find it interesting to read about specific changes, some of them in the apps (for example, this year I'll be interested in how the native camera app will work with the dual and triple lenses). And I'll be interested to see whether anyone has tried to get a little scientific with the changes in FaceID (and whether they are at all significant/useful).

If nothing else, they can be at least mildly diverting reading.
Oh I didn’t say it stops me reading them ;)

The interesting thing for me is battery life. I’d had Plus models before going with the XS last year. Despite it being my favourite iPhone to date, battery is one area where it’s been a bit let down so I’m hoping the bold claims for the new Pro models stack up.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I'm mostly interested in the battery life review. 4-5 hours increase is a bold claim but also a vague one. A Bigger battery and more energy efficient chip will have an effect, but how will that translate to SOT.

I'm a diehard vanilla Android nerd, but if the rumors of the amazing battery life are true, I may possibly get one. +5 extra hrs more of Screen On Time. That's absolutely outstanding if true, and will be crowned the battery champ above everyone else.

The iPhone XS Max I think gets good battery life currently, not great not bad, maybe like equivalent of 6hrs SoT, so the 11 Pro Max will get another +5 hours, making it get something like 11 hours Screen On Time, HOLY COW !!!!!!

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
I'm a diehard vanilla Android nerd, but if the rumors of the amazing battery life are true, I may possibly get one. +5 extra hrs more of Screen On Time. That's absolutely outstanding if true, and will be crowned the battery champ above everyone else.

The iPhone XS Max I think gets good battery life currently, not great not bad, maybe like equivalent of 6hrs SoT, so the 11 Pro Max will get another +5 hours, making it get something like 11 hours Screen On Time, HOLY COW !!!!!!

Yeah I'm the same way. I'm a Pixel guy but if the 11 Pro Max gets upwards of 8 hrs SOT, has comparable picture quality, and superior video quality it'll be hard to go back. I like the trend of 90Hz phones taking off but its gonna be a while before they pair that with great battery life.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
You'll find out the second they're available. Everyone wants to be the first to show off. YouTube will be flooded with them. Can't miss em

Reactions: Xoterin

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
You don't need reviews, they will all tell you one thing we already know. These are the best iPhones, ever. EVER!

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I'm curious to see how good "Cinematic Video Stabilization" is on these phones. I'm wondering if you can now shoot video without a need for gimbal a la GoPro Hero 7 Black. I hope the reviews look into this.

Exactly what I’m interested in reading/seeing. Also wondering about the quality of the ultra wide. Might allow me to leave the GoPro at home more often during non extreme travels (one less thing to charge)

Reactions: tripleburst
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.