Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-=AsukA=-

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
when will we be able to choose a graphic icon? it says a list is available but it has nothing on it!

so my question is when (administrator / site owner) will we have this option, besides makeing 300+ posts!:confused:

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Gee, I hope it's not just a "number of posts" thing...or else we'd all just run around and comment on every friggin' message for hours just to rack up "post points" and ...

ooops.

(ducking)

er, maybe a nice cash contribution? Heck, I'd do it...even if it DIDN'T get me an Avitar...I've had more fun on this board in the past 3 weeks than any other I've ever visited!

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
It would be cool if we could make are own and provide a hyperlink so ares would load. Then you would have the kind of creativity as on carracho.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by voicegy
Gee, I hope it's not just a "number of posts" thing...or else we'd all just run around and comment on every friggin' message for hours just to rack up "post points" and ...

ooops.

(ducking)

er, maybe a nice cash contribution? Heck, I'd do it...even if it DIDN'T get me an Avitar...I've had more fun on this board in the past 3 weeks than any other I've ever visited!

I wouldn't be too eager to post for the simple fact of getting a higher rating....arn's already posted against this in another thread.....

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
:)

Yep - please don't post messages just to increase your # of posts... I spent 45 minutes clearing out a run of those posts the other day.

Sorry I've been a bit out of it guys.... :)

As for default avators... I think too many avatars tend to get annoying - which is why I didn't place them in by default... but then I saw I could allow custom ones based on the # of posts.... I thought it was a nice perk for those who've contributed that much....

anyhow... we'll see... :)

arn

Mike Gagne

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2001
Maui, Hawaii
number of posts??????

Gee Arn, contributed that much by quantity or quality? What gives? You are just encouraging posting numbers rather than responsible comments. Its one thing to flame other participants and another to give lucid comment and thoughtful insight on a topic. And how would you decide the difference? I have seen a number of "newbie" posts recently that were right on both info wise and sensitive to the problem or difficulty that they were trying to assist.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
Mike, cut Arn some slack :)

It's hard enough to maintain a forums site like this one, imagine if he had to start filtering the quality of the messages to see if they deserve "avatar points" or something of that sort!
I say let's just let him make the call and don't criticize him :)

Mike Gagne

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2001
Maui, Hawaii
Originally posted by colocolo
Mike, cut Arn some slack :)

It's hard enough to maintain a forums site like this one, imagine if he had to start filtering the quality of the messages to see if they deserve "avatar points" or something of that sort!
I say let's just let him make the call and don't criticize him :)

Arn has all the slack he wants....... I was asking for a clarification. And whether or not we can use avatars should be a more open issue in my opinion......

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: Mike Gagne

Sounds like your taking this icon thing personaly. I have been arround here at macrumors for a while now and I like it here. While it is true some of us post more meaingfull quality comments than others but I agree with colocolo, Arn has more than enuph to do arround here... and Im sure he has a life beyone macrumors.com. I think that the avatar bounus for number of posts is a good idea. Maybe if Arn wanted to he could have a second icon or status that is voted on by macrumors regulars. For example I have 400+ posts now so Im getting closer to getting my own avatar. But lets say that no one likes me and everyone gets to vote for a status icon or title like:

a) Cool guy
b) smart but an jerk
c) a Windows guy in MacHead clothing
d) flam war verterin
e) super mac geek
f) posts alot ... but nothing upstairs
g) cant spell worth a lick (me)

... etc. That would be kind of fun.

But like colocolo said... give arn a break.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I agree.....arn doesn't have to let anyone personalize their profile with an avatar....but he is....whether or not it's dependent upon a certain # of posts is irrelevant...

I know it seems easy for me to say since I reached that point, but it's still an honest opinion...

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
i retired jefhatfield because of the then huge number of posts so others could feel more inclined to speak up...and i think it worked

spikey, john123, kela, and monkeybusiness all also "cut back" on posts and along with jefhatfield retiring, we have seen a new dominant set of posters which i think we all liked for the change

so now with the heavyweights of eyelikeart, evildead, and mischief, we also have spikey, kela, monkeybusiness, spg, joeyj, ensignparis, and about two dozen others putting their contributions into the macrumors board

...and guess what, no huge flamewars as of late and a lot of good topic related posts

...but i do expect another flamewar brewing with spikey at the helm, but first apple has to inspire us to feel that way (ie - like sj and apple not coming out with a powermac update until august or something)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.