Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
I have a DP Powermac G4 1.25Ghz machine that has recently started to get Kernel attacks at least once a day. I have gone through the entire list of self fix remedies etc ran all the hardware test plus memory test and everything checks out ok. I see no point in taking it to an Apple service center due to the age of the unit etc.

I have also read that brand new Macs get Kernel panics so what is the real true story on these and when do you just suck it up on a old machine like mine and just throw the towel in. Or do you continue to use the machine for light web surfing and email checking obviously you don't save any crucial information on a Mac with Kernel panics.

Is it basically like a terminal cancer for Mac's even though the test come back clear the problem is hidden deep in the core of system.

Any thoughts :confused:

jepjepjep

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2004
make sure it's not the ram

I had kernel panics with my iBook G4, and couldn't figure out what the problem was for weeks. It turned out that faulty ram was the culprit and the Apple Hardware Test failed to recognize the bad ram. I even went through the charade of looping the hardware test overnight and it always came back as okay.

My suggestion is to pull out all of your ram except for one stick (that you know is good) and see if you can isolate the problem.

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
My experience has also been that most kernel panics are RAM related.

But if you're ready to throw in the towel ... I'll take it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.