Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

In what year do you think the "MacBook Pro" name will be replaced?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 9.5%

Votes: 2 9.5%

Votes: 1 4.8%

Votes: 1 4.8%

• 2026 or later

• The 'MacBook Pro' branding will continue indefinitely, or for as long as Apple sells laptops.

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Periodically, product lines are discontinued and replaced with a new line for a wide range of reasons (e.g., change in processing architecture, new OS that is so different that using the computer is a completely new experience, radical new hardware redesign/feature implementation, responding to a consumer impression that a certain existing line is dated, differentiation in associated branding, etc.)

I'm curious as to (if/) when Users think the "MacBook Pro" name will be replaced with something else? And why? (if you believe that product line will be split, please elaborate.)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple really doesn't replace names. I mean we went from the powerbook to the MacBook Pro, because they shifted from PPC to Intel. I think as long as the MBP sells and it has a positive reception with the consumers, it won't be replaced.

Reactions: arefbe

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I don't know about the year or anything, but if for some reason the laptops go to Apple CPU/GPU (like iOS devices), I could see that as being a sensible time for a different naming scheme.

If there's a chance of Apple computers eschewing Intel, I think it will be the notebooks only (never the desktops I don't think)

Reactions: jerryk

Ace2617

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2016
The only reason I would see for this is if Apple moved completely away from Intel, as it did with PowerPC. The MacBook Pro line replaced the PowerBook G4 because of the move away from PPC processors. Unless something like that happens, I don't see a reason to do this. It could happen someday, but it's tough to predict when.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I'm curious as to (if/) when Users think the "MacBook Pro" name will be replaced with something else? And why? (if you believe that product line will be split, please elaborate.)

I believe this will happen when the technology advances far enough so that the laptop as a concept stops making sense. I don't believe that this will happen any time soon though. The hardware still takes considerable space, the battery tech is not that far from were it was 10 years ago and there is still no better way of interacting with the computer then via the keyboard/pointing device + display. MBP will become obsolete when all these things change (especially the last one).
[doublepost=1514356106][/doublepost]
Apple really doesn't replace names. I mean we went from the powerbook to the MacBook Pro, because they shifted from PPC to Intel. I think as long as the MBP sells and it has a positive reception with the consumers, it won't be replaced.

On the other hand, there was also no significant change in the product concept that would justify a name change. In fact, they could stick with PowerBook, but I guess they wanted to have 'Mac' across the line. The current MBP is exactly the computer the PowerBook used to be, only with modern hardware and manufactured according to current technical capabilities.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Perhaps if/when they move over to their own A series chips it might become an iBook or something? I could see that if they have intel powered MBPs and an A series powered MacBook to try and avoid confusion. I assume if the in house chips work their way up the line the upper tier models would then begin to take on that naming scheme.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I think that the MBP name will continue as long as there is something around that is recognisably a 'laptop'.

I think that the following will happen:

- The 2018 will have the same T3 chip as the iMac Pro (no touchbars!)
- I then predict that 2018 will also be the year where the next MacBook will have ARM chips, thus deepening the chasm between the two lines
- The next revision after that will see MacOS and 'regular' apps being run fully on ARM with Intel chips being reserved for pro apps that need the processing power i.e. intel processors start being treated like the discrete graphics chips on current MBPs.
- And then the next revision (or two) after that I could (possibly) see a full move to ARM with the key difference being the amount of chips, their speeds and the amount of cores in each device & ditto the graphics processing power on offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.