Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Res3387

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2021
On Apple’s website, it says “If your iPhone is covered by warranty, AppleCare+, or consumer law, we'll replace your battery at no charge.”. However, in their legal page, it says batteries are not covered under warranty.

I have heard of people getting free replacements if the battery health is under 80% and their warranty was still valid. In the EU, the warranty is 2 years, so technically, if my battery health would fall below 80% within the two years, would I get a free battery replacement?

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Here is a link to the relevant Dutch (EU) site. Use Google translate if needed. I just Googled 'iPhone battery warranty Netherlands', but I saw that Apple has similar pages for other countries in the EU too.

https://support.apple.com/nl-nl/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

On the website there is a list with the cost of battery replacement per iPhone model. As far as I can see battery replacement is always free when under warranty.

Below is a (partial) screen shot of that list.

1645179376667.png

Reactions: Res3387

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
On Apple’s website, it says “If your iPhone is covered by warranty, AppleCare+, or consumer law, we'll replace your battery at no charge.”. However, in their legal page, it says batteries are not covered under warranty.
It doesn't exactly say batteries aren't covered under warranty. The US warranty says "This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship[emphasis mine]"

I think most people would have a pretty good argument that an iPhone battery that fails (< 80% capacity) in the first year is defective. The warranty might not apply if you have over 500 charge cycles in that time.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
If your battery capacity falls below 80% within the warranty period (1yr in the US, 2yrs with Applecare+/ 2yrs in other markets or 3yrs with AppleCare +) Apple will replace the battery at no cost to you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.