Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Hmm that's odd because when I bought my very first Mac (Snow iMac) in 2001 it came with OS 9 (Classic) and OS X (1st edition). All the Mac reps when they had actual Mac reps at their store at CompUSA referred to it as OS X (Ten). Other Mac shops i've visited have referred to it as OS X (Ten).

The Best Buys I go to as well that have Mac reps refer to it as Ten. That's how I always referred to it as well especially since I came from Mac Classic (9) to OS X (Ten)

Going back to Steve Job's announcement of OS X, he very clearly calls it "O S Ten".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4V3G4NqII

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ When does OS X end and OS XI begin? ]]

After OS X version 10.99 is released ?

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
I honestly believe that Steve Jobs had something in mind for OS 11. I don't think it was ever really talked about because he did say that OS X would be the base operating system for Apple for a while. If OS 11 does make an appearance, and it will, it won't be for a while...but knowing Apple, they won't go to 10.24...But OS 11, I feel would only run on the newer systems. For example, if OS 11 was released tomorrow, Apple wouldn't let MBP or even rMBP to run it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
IBut OS 11, I feel would only run on the newer systems. For example, if OS 11 was released tomorrow, Apple wouldn't let MBP or even rMBP to run it.

Like Mac OS X could not run on G3 Macs back then?
If OS 11 was released tomorrow and it wouldn't run on a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, what hardware would it run on?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I honestly believe that Steve Jobs had something in mind for OS 11. I don't think it was ever really talked about because he did say that OS X would be the base operating system for Apple for a while. If OS 11 does make an appearance, and it will, it won't be for a while...but knowing Apple, they won't go to 10.24...But OS 11, I feel would only run on the newer systems. For example, if OS 11 was released tomorrow, Apple wouldn't let MBP or even rMBP to run it.
OK. The name of the extant Macintosh operating system in OS X 10.9.3 including the version number, OS X Mavericks without the version number, or OS X in general. In other words, OS X is the base operating system name.

MacOS was classic Macintosh operating system whose roots date back to the original Toolbox ROM-based OS. Make no mistake, Apple can give its next OS any name that it wants. However, OS 11 would not imply that the OS is the next version of OS X; it would imply an update to MacOS 9.

Also note that the most consistent element of OS X marketing is X-character on the distribution package--either DVD or digital download. Over the last 13 years, Apple had built enormous equity into that X. Wells Fargo has used a stagecoach in its corporate graphics for more than a century. The Apple X may not last a century, but it is being to look like it will be around for more than the 20 years that Jobs promised.

Like Mac OS X could not run on G3 Macs back then?
If OS 11 was released tomorrow and it wouldn't run on a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, what hardware would it run on?
To be clear, only the first PowerBook G3 was incompatible with MacOS X 10.0. However, this model was released in 1997, four years before MacOS X 10.0 hit the shelves. By the 2001 release date of MacOS X 10.0, Apple has long since replaced the original PowerBook G3.

Nov 28, 2010
located
To be clear, only the first PowerBook G3 was incompatible with MacOS X 10.0. However, this model was released in 1997, four years before MacOS X 10.0 hit the shelves. By the 2001 release date of MacOS X 10.0, Apple has long since replaced the original PowerBook G3.

I did not mean all G3s, but since many G3 Macs have been introduced before the release of Mac OS X and came with Mac OS 9.x.x and could often easily be upgraded to Mac OS X, even up to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and with some hacks even up to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard as far as I remember, it would be strange for a current Mac from 2013 to not be able to run an OS from 2014, but then again, I doubt "xaqt93" knows that much about pre Intel Macs or even computers in general. We will never see, or maybe in four to 24 months, when "xaqt93" might return and use the Subscriptions tool.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
When does OS X end and OS XI begin?

Whenever Apple decides to change the number...

TriTrip

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
Does anyone here think that Mountain Lion is the last major update to OS X or could there be another cat?

Where does OS XI come in to play?

I bet my money is OS 11 will come out what our understanding of Computers is revolutionized. Computers software and hardware have increased together at about the same rate. You can have a Mac or PC and go through a couple operating systems on that one machine.

jbhowlesr

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
Maybe when Microsoft releases their 10, it will give Apple the incentive to move on to OSXI

Please allow me to interject here. I will be upfront that I am a windows user and I have a bias. That being said, a long time ago prior to either system was this thing called UNIX; the first true windows type system. There was an open source version of this back then called Linux which is still around today. There was also competing system to UNIX which was called BSD which had an open source version as well called FreeBSD. What's important to note here is that yes, Microsoft ripped off Linux, but Apple ripped off FreeBSD too. Both companies were culprits in that regard.

Since then, Linux continues to be a robust system that offers a array of capabilities and expandability and is in continued development. FreeBSD however does not and fact is, BSD fell out of favor when the last major update occurred in the late 90's. Since then, BSD has all but faded away as UNIX/SOLARIS/WINDOWS system are far more capable and suited for running large cooperate networks and high level computing while both BSD and FreeBSD lacked needed expandability due to limited code. UNIX and Linux both run 32 bit, 64 bit and 128 bit level computing while BSD and FeeBSD only has limited 64 bit computing abilities and no support for 128 bit. You may ask why this is necessary and the answer is higher level computing means more capacity, faster processing and strong data encryption.

OS10 which was release shortly after the latest release of FreeBSD in 1999. Should say a lot that is 17 years, mac has not seen a major version change, plus changing the number 10 to an X was nothing more than a marketing scheme to keep what users it had engaged.

Speaking on my background as a computer science major with programming background; software versions are broke down like such 10.1.1. 10 being the major revision/base system. The first 1 being the minor system. The 2nd 1 being minor subset system. In software terms, whether your still using 10.0 or 10.9, your still on the same major system version with minor changes. Additionally because BSD has been obsolete for nearly 2 decades now, I foresee the only way for OS11 or any other marketing scheme that apple using to lure you in to purchasing, will undoubtedly have to replace its beloved Joshua code altogether. If they release this so called OS X 11, please keep this thought in the back of your mind when dropping the 2 grand on that new machine, "Your buying the same OS you bought in 1999 with a new wallpaper, new color scheme and new cat name". The heart of that new cat, unfortunately is the same at the one on 10.0. In essence, 2k for a new/old system.

iOS however, for those of you who think it is a completely different system should guess again. iOS is a port of OSX. A port being minimized version that's optimized for portable devices including limited processing power and expandability. Soon, even it will reach the same end of life as it is based on a system that is 2 decades old.

Last edited:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Please allow me to interject here. I will be upfront that I am a windows user and I have a bias. That being said, a long time ago prior to either system was this thing called UNIX; the first true windows type system. There was an open source version of this back then called Linux which is still around today. There was also competing system to UNIX which was called BSD which had an open source version as well called FreeBSD. What's important to note here is that yes, Microsoft ripped off Linux, but Apple ripped off FreeBSD too. Both companies were culprits in that regard.

I must disagree. I used UNIX starting in 1980. It wasn't a windows type system. I also used a Xerox Alto in 1980. It was a true windowing system and didn't have a bit of UNIX in it. Xerox had the first windowing system, not AT&T. We had internal systems with windowing tacked on to UNIX, but nothing commercially available. The Xerox Alto morphed into the commercially available as the Xerox Star, which flopped, and I believe Sun (with Sun OS) became the first commercially available windowing system with UNIX. BSD was UNIX, not a competing system to UNIX, UC Berkeley distributed it. Much enhanced over AT&T's distributions which were difficult to obtain. I seem to remember AT&T licenses being $100k per system. Microsoft did not rip off Linux. They licensed BSD UNIX and sold it as "Xenix" for PC-ATs well before Linux even existed. I had a copy myself (along with several other distributions at the time) starting in the late 1980's. None of them took off because they were expensive, had limited software availability, were sluggish on x86 processors, and (perhaps) because they had no GUI. I'd also disagree with the term "ripped off" for Apple using open software. Linux is a much more recent development than UNIX, by decades. Technically Linux isn't a version of UNIX. They are supposed to share no code.

zbrd

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
If OS X is rewritten in Swift next year, as has been rumored, does that make it OSXI?

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014

Since then, Linux continues to be a robust system that offers a array of capabilities and expandability and is in continued development. FreeBSD however does not and fact is, BSD fell out of favor when the last major update occurred in the late 90's. Since then, BSD has all but faded away as UNIX/SOLARIS/WINDOWS system are far more capable and suited for running large cooperate networks and high level computing while both BSD and FreeBSD lacked needed expandability due to limited code. UNIX and Linux both run 32 bit, 64 bit and 128 bit level computing while BSD and FeeBSD only has limited 64 bit computing abilities and no support for 128 bit. You may ask why this is necessary and the answer is higher level computing means more capacity, faster processing and strong data encryption.

OS10 which was release shortly after the latest release of FreeBSD in 1999. Should say a lot that is 17 years, mac has not seen a major version change, plus changing the number 10 to an X was nothing more than a marketing scheme to keep what users it had engaged.

Speaking on my background as a computer science major with programming background; software versions are broke down like such 10.1.1. 10 being the major revision/base system. The first 1 being the minor system. The 2nd 1 being minor subset system. In software terms, whether your still using 10.0 or 10.9, your still on the same major system version with minor changes. Additionally because BSD has been obsolete for nearly 2 decades now, I foresee the only way for OS11 or any other marketing scheme that apple using to lure you in to purchasing, will undoubtedly have to replace its beloved Joshua code altogether. If they release this so called OS X 11, please keep this thought in the back of your mind when dropping the 2 grand on that new machine, "Your buying the same OS you bought in 1999 with a new wallpaper, new color scheme and new cat name". The heart of that new cat, unfortunately is the same at the one on 10.0. In essence, 2k for a new/old system.

iOS however, for those of you who think it is a completely different system should guess again. iOS is a port of OSX. A port being minimized version that's optimized for portable devices including limited processing power and expandability. Soon, even it will reach the same end of life as it is based on a system that is 2 decades old.

There are many, many errors in this post. FreeBSD is very actively developed, highly capable, and widely used, as are the other BSDs. WhatsApp uses FreeBSD on an absolutely enormous scale. Apple uses NetBSD for its AirPort devices. I don't know what you mean by "obsolete for 2 decades", unless you're talking about the original Berkeley BSD releases, but OS X is far closer to the modern BSDs than it is to 4.2BSD or 4.4BSD-Lite and it still doesn't even use a BSD kernel.

Muchofmyservice

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
Maybe they'll go with dogs

Mac OS XI 11.0 "Husky"
OS X 11.1 Pitbull
OS X 11.2 Stratfordshire
OS X 11.3 Dalmatian
OS X 11.4 Malmute
OS X 11.5 Beagle
OS X 11.6 Rottweiler
OS X 11.7 Dacshund
OS X 11.8 Chihuahua
OS X 11.9 Bullterrier
OS X 12.0 Catahoula Cur 128bit OS
OS X 12.1 Doberman
OS X 12.2 Chaweenie
OS X 12.3 Akita
OS X 12.4 Bulldog
OS X 12.5 Labrador
OS X 12.6 Boxer
OS X 12.7 Mastiff
OS X 12.8 Bassett
OS X 12.9 Schnauzer
.........................Jesus Comes Back

Sinok

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2019
Now in 2021, Mac OS X finally moves to Mac OS XI (11.), and the name is Big Sur, named after famous landscapes in California since Mavericks
It's the first macOS to run on Apple's M1 processor, which means a huge update

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Since they didn't name the Big Sur updates 11.0.1, 11.0.2 ... but instead 11.1, 11.2, ... I expect that the new OS to be announced next month will be macOS 12. This puts the numbering scheme inline with that for iOS -- increment by one each year and not 0.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.